Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: ZEQ2  (Read 79354 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »

I haven't tried yet (discovered only yesterday how to enable vertex lighting back -disabling videoflags-)... what happens now if one enables vertex and GLSL?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »

Hi Gig,

in short, nothing should happen.

The glsl support by itself does nothing to improve the quality of the renderer. And unless the glsl support is requested (by a shader or postprocessing module) it will change absolutely nothing. Setting the cvar itself to 1 will act as if glsl support is not present unless a shader or postprocessing module requests to use glsl.

My 'per vertex lighting' is somewhat misleading as it does not refer to OA's 'vertex (low)' or 'lightmap (normal)' lighting options - it refers to the way that glsl program is going to consider light influence when  drawing the polygons that were specified to be drawn using specific glsl program.

So setting lighting to 'vertex (low)' or 'lightmap (normal)' in OA's Setup menu makes no difference.

Hope this explanation makes sense?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »

Perfectly. I simply wanted to be sure that would not cause crashes or bad effects (thinking that with vertex lighting some effects -e.g. the animations of teleports and accelerator pads in wrackdm17- do not work as usual).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

I noticed fullscreening a window with glsl on sends it erroring to menu in a unrecoverable  loop

I tried to implement SSAO to failure...
I haven't been able to reproduce this. My graphic card is an ATI and I'm using Windows XP. Can you give us more infos?

@Hitchhiker:
Considering that now the engine officially supports glsl (altough at experimental level), I suppose it would be useful to document how to create such effects. When you have some time, could you please create the
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/GLSL page on the wiki?

As a starting point, maybe you may "copy" and fix in the new page stuff from here (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#GLSL_effects (that is an overview) and then expand the page providing some examples about how to write glsl programs, how to be sure that the shader will work also without glsl, etc. Some external link to some glsl documentation maybe... etc...

Bye! Smiley

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »

I'm not into graphical development, but this implementation is a great addition! If it works well it'll be amazing!

A question: which version of openGL will be supported (is OA limited to a specific version currently)?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »

GLSL is OpenGL 2.0 stuff

Without GLSL it's OpenGL 1.1 stuff

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »

Cool! OpenGL 2.0 ROCKS!!!

And what about OpenGL 3 and 4? Aren't they usable for OpenArena? Or is it simply more interesting to use OpenGL 2 for OpenArena?
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »

Hi,
actually the glsl implementation in OA is done using OpenGL ARB extensions. So from what I could find on the net, any OpenGL 1.4 compatible gfx card should be able to run glsl. Then, good to know   that  glsl programs also have versions and the final minimal configuration is yet to be seen (we first need to build some glsl shaders and see what version they would need).

As for the implementation working well.. I don't know - I am seeing some things in 088 that I never saw before and am wondering if it is due to glsl (like players flickering on ctf4ish map, black areas of world where texture should show in galmevish map - the pit). Maybe this is due to my config because in the reverse engineering the engine I've been modifying different cvars that usually would not be changed. I dont know what would be the best way to test the glsl implementation - short of removing any mention of the glsl related code and trying these two maps again (something I can do myself).

In the meantime, I'm battling to finish the lighting part I started and have no estimate as to when it might be done. Either way, I'll do my best to finish it as soon as possible.

Yesterday and today I was trying to get the ssao effect to work.. if you wish to fine tune it (or re-do it completely), it is here attached. As I never did it before I am not sure if this is what ssao is Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »

The pitch-black pit in galmevish was done to fix a problem with a previous shader. I couldn't compile the map without lighting problems. So I've ended up replacing the fog shader for black. Better that way.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

ok.
as for the problem on ctf4ish I originally thought was lag. but even locally I see the effect.. further playing locally on few different maps I get PING of zero... on ctf4ish (with 9 bots - ctf mode) i always see entities (bots, flag) disappear when I get on the jump pad and I get PING of 100 or so.. I've removed the ctf4ish map  bsp and aas file from the patch 088 pak file (so the older version was used from pak1-maps and the same problem does not appear on the 088 version of OA executable (the ping still gets high though)..
Can you try?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »

This SSAO shader's kind of interesting but it doesn't have a lot of volume and seems faceted and not round. Lots of cross patterns everywhere. There's also the problem of it showing over the additives (sort issue?)

Looks kind of interesting on OA3 models Smiley

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »

Smiley yeah, it also make the screen look as if the player is carrying a torch..
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »

OK
the shader crash seems to involve using a resolution larger than 1280x960

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

hi fromhell,
does AO crash with the same resolution when using just bloom? I'm thinking some sort of memory allocation fail might be causing this. Will test later on my end..
I've put my changes to sleep until James' renderer is up and running with OA.
I am not sure if it makes sense to keep this glsl implementation part of the OA at all since the one of James (including other rendering improvements) is a much advanced one and will benefit OA much more.
I think any lighting improvements I've made so far could eventually be added to James' renderer code (if at all needed).
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

Is Jmaes' renderer the OpenGL2 one used in Reaction?

hairball
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »

Is Jmaes' renderer the OpenGL2 one used in Reaction?
Yes.  Reaction 1.0 is using James' vbo patch v29 which was just released on the 21st.

I did a diff of ioquake3 r2232 + vbo29 against reaction 1.0 for the code/renderergl2 parts and the differences are very small.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

Okay, good. But one thing about it irks me are the way the normal maps/specs are defined

Code:
shaaaaaader
{
        {
          map models/stuff/skin.tga
          rgbGen lightdiffuse
        }
        {
         stage normalmap
         map models/stuff/NORMALSTUFF.tga
         normal
        }
       {
        stage specularmap
        map models/stuff/SHINAY.tga
       }
}

I'd much prefer

Code:
shaaaaaader
{
        {
          map models/stuff/skin.tga
          map2 models/stuff/NORMALSTUFF.tga
          map3 models/stuff/SHINAY.tga
          rgbGen lightdiffuse
        }
        {
         map models/stuff/crazy.tga
         tcGen environment
         blendfunc add
        }
}

That way, I could probably stack shader programs like say 2 staged flowing water...

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

I have the same problem with postprocess - even with edges program. Also, I think to have found the error - when the depth buffer texture is allocated (!!) the size of memory requested is too high (some 9 times the needed space - instead of 16mb for depth buffer texture I am allocating 136 Shocked ). I'm not sure how that got there - my bad. I'll try to debug and make a fix.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

In fact, the stderr log mentions memory allocation failure. I've added a quick check for this case, brought back the allocation size to 16mb.. for me now works, but I can't really figure out what was wrong.. can you please test on your end?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: