Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Performance Gaming Mice....  (Read 17002 times)
TwEeK!
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: March 28, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »

Just saw the following over at Slashdot - cracked me up because the last couple times I've run into Corvette, I've was chided (in good spirit) about my prehistoric control rodent vs. 'Vette's beloved new (at the time, several weeks ago) high-resolution Terminator of a mouse, ROFL.... Grin

Might as well ask, while we're at it: What are the thoughts of the rest of y'all on this Command, Control & Conquer of an issue?

High Performance Gaming Mice Don't Perform - Slashdot:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/03/28/1240218/High-Performance-Gaming-Mice-Dont-Perform

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »

sounds like hypr for a competing line of mice. Anyone disected yet? I.e. using a competing product with a different device name, at the driver level, to see diffs

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »

i prefer to play with a gamepad Tongue
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »

yeah there's at least one other lei-lei who prefers to PC online FPS gaming on a 360 pad...

HINT: IT'S NOT ME

Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:12:08 AM »

Tweek, I see you enjoy talking about me behind my back. Now I'm not going to play OA for another year just because of that Wink

but seriously, what gave you the idea that I stopped playing OA for a while just because you think you insulted me by saying something about a mouse? I find that kinda amusing.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:23:44 AM »

That's been 8 month ago ;o

..anyway, back on topic, the article is crap, ihmo. they made "extensive tests that involved 500-click series of randomly generated commands,", which doesn't tell anything if you're hand rests well on it, if you can use it for hours, if you got a good grip on it, or, generally, if your performance is better in a game then it was before Smiley

I dont want to do randomly generated commands, I am playing openarena, the aftrershock mod and quake live.  Grin

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:41 AM »

I use a trackball: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/wireless-trackball-m570

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »

I use a Logitech mouse I got from Wal-Mart and before that I used the one the came with my dell until it broke.

Also some of the “pro gaming stuff “ just seems way to expensive to me but hey that’s just my take.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »

"Pro Gaming" usually also means "goofy proprietary drivers that won't work well with Linux, so you end up with a cool looking otherwise normal mouse with a bunch of buttons that do nothing."

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »

Pro gaming equipment is silly, pro gamers probably don't use the high end ones, hell, pro gamers don't even use high end video cards!

my favorite is fatal1ty's xfi. FUN FACT: Quake III Arena, his champ game, has no support for hardware positional audio since 1.27g or so, so it is ironic he endorses such hardware, he probably never used the card itself.

i actually use the hrtf in the openal support in ioq3/oa, my cpu and gpu is from the last decade so I can handle the oh-so-abominable 10fps loss.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »

YEah and he could promote ginseng pills and some other boost-my-ass with latest technlogical infrared mouse with best drivers of the world, Fatality won the cup while he was being operated for a leg loss running an overcloacked Cyrix with zyklon watercooling, that's true pro-gaming.

I should be out.

Todo: Walk the cat.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »

Openarena has nothing to do with pro-gaming. Azn

This being said, High Performance Gaming Mice (the topic of this thread) can be pretty helpful for your game. You can (doesnt mean you will) get mice that are build very solid, offer more settings, have more and well placed buttons, be as precise as suitable for your needs, and give a better feel when holding that piece of plastic in your hands for hours, then you might get with your standard 5$ mouse.

to be honset, a mouse is the only real gaming equipment I ever bought and I personaly am happy with it.  i have got a logitech mx518 and a razer copperhead. they both do last more then 2 years by now (one for my laptop, one for my desktop) and I never experienced any difficulties - using ubuntu variants mostly, but dualbooting with winxp/win 7. I am gaming on ubuntu only. not on windows.
if you want all the driver-settings on linux, you can use http://razertool.sourceforge.net/ for example.

I myself got a shaft accuracy of 38% on average by now http://oaunofficial.exulo.de/profile.php?id=32&action=stats&mode=acc and I can say: yepp. gaming nice can be great stuff to have.

... sry for breaking the hate-post-combo  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:10:41 AM by PopeJo » Logged

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »

*delete button missing in this forum
*quote and modify buttons to close to each other  Undecided

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »

with a pro-gamer mouse there's no such thing as "too close" Evil
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »

This being said, High Performance Gaming Mice (the topic of this thread) can be pretty helpful for your game. You can (doesnt mean you will) get mice that are build very solid, offer more settings, have more and well placed buttons, be as precise as suitable for your needs, and give a better feel when holding that piece of plastic in your hands for hours, then you might get with your standard 5$ mouse.

Just like a good screen, a good videocard, some typematrix ergonomic keyboard, a nice chair ... well, anything comfortable.

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »

my favorite is fatal1ty's xfi. FUN FACT: Quake III Arena, his champ game, has no support for hardware positional audio since 1.27g or so, so it is ironic he endorses such hardware, he probably never used the card itself.
I've always found fatal1ty a publicity freak. Sure he plays good and stuff, but he makes it too commercial, like he's only doing it to earn money and/or be famous.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »

Creative Titanium Fatal1ty is not any better than original Creative Titanium, albeit more expensive. Do not buy.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »

i'm glad thresh at least quit while he was ahead. Went from hardcore quaker to ........ pokemon master.

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »

with a pro-gamer mouse there's no such thing as "too close" Evil
* PopeJo throws one of his mice at pulcher

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 01:54:58 AM »