Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 3 server port listening issue.  (Read 27033 times)
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »

Hi,

I realize this is a forum for openarena, but it uses ioquake, which is the server I'm using. I'm having the strangest issue starting the server. It doesn't seem to spit out anything suggesting it had trouble binding to/listening on any port, yet it's clearly not doing it.

Command used to run server:
Code:
/usr/games/quake3/ioq3ded.i386 +exec server.cfg +set dedicated 1 +set net_port 27960 +set net_ip 192.168.1.103

Output when server is run:
http://pastebin.com/RJED23S4

Nothing strange seems to happen when run, and yet it refuses to run. If it helps. I'm running this as root. Should I try to run it as a user?

EDIT: It does not automatically shut down. It stays running until I kill it.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »

Always run as a normal user.

Also try binding IP 0.0.0.0 just in case there are firewall problems.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »

Alright. Also found some new info:

lsof -i | grep q3d:
Code:
ioq3ded.i 32725        root   12u  IPv4 358170      0t0  UDP 192.168.1.103:27960

Compared with the ssh server:
Code:
sshd      20846        root    3u  IPv4 315467      0t0  TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)
sshd      20846        root    4u  IPv6 315469      0t0  TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)

Note that I can see the ssh server and use it, but I can't see the quake server. Also, there's no "(LISTEN)" on the quake server, and there is on the ssh server.

So it's running, but not listening.

Note that all of this is run by root. I will run on a normal user next. Not sure it will make a difference though. We have iptables installed, but it's not setup.

EDIT: Run as a normal user, same output really. Similar lsof output:
Code:
ioq3ded.i 665 harley   12u  IPv4 360403      0t0  UDP 192.168.1.103:27960

EDIT2: When run on ip 0.0.0.0 it does this:
Code:
ioq3ded.i 757 harley   12u  IPv4 361002      0t0  UDP *:27960
Which is more similar to the ssh server. Maybe it'll work now?

EDIT3: Nope. Nmap says that port is closed. However, it does say port 22 is open. Meaning it truly is closed. I wonder why it's doing this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:15 PM »

Is that a "clean" installation of ioquake3?

And if you try to setup a standard q3 server, instead of ioquake3, what happens?
PS: I'm a Windows user... I know q3 has been ported on linux, but I don't know how (except ioquake3, obviously).

Maybe you could try to temporatily setup an OA server and see what happpens.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

The fact it doesn't "listen" the same way may be because ioquake3 uses UDP and not TCP (contrary to sshd).

Does it print that message automatically or is it when you manually close it ?
----- Server Shutdown (Received signal 2) -----

Todo: Walk the cat.
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

The fact it doesn't "listen" the same way may be because ioquake3 uses UDP and not TCP (contrary to sshd).

Yes that was by using Ctrl + C, killing it. Perhaps it's because it uses UDP, but my knowledge on that is limited.

Is that a "clean" installation of ioquake3?

And if you try to setup a standard q3 server, instead of ioquake3, what happens?
PS: I'm a Windows user... I know q3 has been ported on linux, but I don't know how (except ioquake3, obviously).

Maybe you could try to temporarily setup an OA server and see what happens.

It's fairly clean I'd say. There are no tarballs, so this is the latest svn revision compiled. It could be because of that, but I'm not sure. But that's a good idea, I'll try openarena and see if that works. If it does, it may mean that that revision isn't able to host a server, it could also mean I hadn't set the right compile flags too.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:41 AM »

Yes that was by using Ctrl + C, killing it.

Uhm... maybe it would have been better if you had said this from the beginning... I was searching around to find the meaning of signal 2....  Grin

So, the server runs but you can't connect to it... maybe a firewall (hardware or software) issue, more than a ioquake3 issue? I've found a couple of softwares for DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Testing]testing UDP ports, but  they are for Windows. It would be good to find something similar for Linux.

Can you try to connect to that server from another computer using a local (LAN) connection, using its internal address? If your server has a graphic interface installed, can you try to connect as a client from the same machine?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »

Yes that was by using Ctrl + C, killing it.

Uhm... maybe it would have been better if you had said this from the beginning... I was searching around to find the meaning of signal 2....  Grin

So, the server runs but you can't connect to it... maybe a firewall (hardware or software) issue, more than a ioquake3 issue? I've found a couple of softwares for DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Testing]testing UDP ports, but  they are for Windows. It would be good to find something similar for Linux.

Can you try to connect to that server from another computer using a local (LAN) connection, using its internal address? If your server has a graphic interface installed, can you try to connect as a client from the same machine?

Yeah, I have iptables, but I swear it's turned off. Even so, I created an exception, and it still didn't work. So that's not it. I've used nmap to see if the port is open or closed many times, however, until now, it kept returning TCP ports. I used -sU and it reported as open|filtered. Instead of closed.

Here's the problem. The status always stays that way, regardless of if the server is running or not. So when it's running, it's open|filtered, when it's not, it's ALSO open|filtered. Kind of irritating. However, I also have qstat. Looking at a server that's up, it returns stats if the server is up, and if down, returns down. So that works. Trying that:

Code:
ADDRESS           PLAYERS      MAP   RESPONSE TIME    NAME
24.61.157.141:27960    0/16    q3dm1     25 / 0            RSCA Quake 3

RSCA is the name of my server. So according to that. It's running. So yay. It just seems I've been scanning with the wrong tool, thinking it was down. Sorry for the trouble, but hopefully it can be useful to other people at a later date.

As for running a client on the server, I'm afraid that's not possible. It's a headless (monitorless) debian server with no gfx card installed :p.

Thanks everyone!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 06:07:40 AM »

Wait... are you saying it always worked?

And I don't understand something... you said that it is shown on qstat... but if you try to connect from a client PC, is it able to find and join the server or not?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:27:44 AM by Gig » Logged

dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »

Wait... are you saing it always worked?

And I don't understand something... you said that it is shown on qstat... but if you try to connect from a client PC, is it able to find and join the server or not?

Yes. I'm saying that's a possibility. I wasn't able to test it manually though because my 3d acceleration is broken :/

qstat shows the current stats. It connects using the same method used to connect with a q3a client. So it's very likely joinable. I installed q3a on my netbook, which can of course run quake3 just fine.

Oddly, my server seems to have disconnected from the network (again). It's strange. It keeps doing that, so I'll have to wait until I can restart it again. *sigh*

EDIT: Forgot to thank all who helped! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:05:30 AM by dragos240 » Logged
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:21 AM »

netstat -l
Code:
udp        0      0 *:27960                 *:*    

lsof -i | grep oa
Code:
oa_ded.i3 2611  fab   65u  IPv4  45445      0t0  UDP *:27960

And I can successfully connect to the server I locally ran with oa_ded as a test.

The thing I don't see in your server log is it's not promoted to some Master server. 27950 outgoing UDP port is necessary for that, but I don't see in the logs it even attempts.
You could give us your server IP so we have an eye on it.

Your build uses protocol 71, which is likely some "new network protocol" and I don't know at all what's about its compatibility.
But that could mean you also need a recent client-build to connect to it.

Didn't find help on ioquake3 forum ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »

In the first post, it is shown he used "dedicated 1" mode. In OA, this means that the server is not published to master server (dedicated 2 mode does it). I don't know if ioquake3 works the same way or not, but maybe yes.

About ioquake3 protocol number, maybe it's related to this thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4243.0

dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

In the first post, it is shown he used "dedicated 1" mode. In OA, this means that the server is not published to master server (dedicated 2 mode does it). I don't know if ioquake3 works the same way or not, but maybe yes.

About ioquake3 protocol number, maybe it's related to this thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4243.0
That's true. I don't want this publicly listed as it's a private server. That was done purposefully.
netstat -l
Code:
udp        0      0 *:27960                 *:*     

lsof -i | grep oa
Code:
oa_ded.i3 2611  fab   65u  IPv4  45445      0t0  UDP *:27960

And I can successfully connect to the server I locally ran with oa_ded as a test.

The thing I don't see in your server log is it's not promoted to some Master server. 27950 outgoing UDP port is necessary for that, but I don't see in the logs it even attempts.
You could give us your server IP so we have an eye on it.

Your build uses protocol 71, which is likely some "new network protocol" and I don't know at all what's about its compatibility.
But that could mean you also need a recent client-build to connect to it.

Didn't find help on ioquake3 forum ?
Unfortunately, because my server keeps disconnecting from the network due to some network driver issue, I can't really even monitor it well myself. I've written a script that auto-reconnects. But that's an issue that needs to be fixed.
I didn't realize ioquake3 had a forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: