Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd server lag issue.  (Read 14633 times)
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 01, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »

Sorry to post here again. But I'm having some really strange server lag. The ping on my server is decent, it's only 20 - 47. It's never reached 50. And also has a 1mbps upload. I don't see why it's lagging.

Problem: Character moves very slowly (seems like lag), also weapons may not fire at times, when they do, they often blow out all ammunition within a second, it rapid fires, even rocket launchers.

Config:
Code:
seta sv_hostname "RSCA Quake 3"
seta sv_maxclients 50
seta g_motd "Welcome to RSCA's Q3A server!"
seta g_quadfactor 4
seta g_gametype 0
seta fraglimit 25
seta g_weaponrespawn 3
seta g_inactivity 3000
seta g_forcerespawn 0
seta rconpassword "verySecretPassword"
set d1 "map q3dm1 ; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "map q3dm2 ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "map q3dm3 ; set nextmap vstr d1"
vstr d1

I see nothing odd here. The config looks normal, the ping is low, and the upload is high enough to run a decent server with no issues. Yet... It's odd, this happens also on LAN. So that means even LOWER ping, and much higher upload speeds. Tested on two different systems with different distros and even different engines (q3a engine, ioquake3). It's something with the server.

You can see for yourselves what I mean:
Host: rscheata.tk
Port: 27960 (default)
Game: Quake III Arena run with ioquake3 server.

Please tell me if you had this issue previously.

Thanks,
dragos
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »

Well, 50 players on a 1 Mbit connection really seem too many. You did not post your sv_maxrate value... but...
See: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Bandwidth
maxrate = int( U * 112.5 / P )
1000 *112.5/50=2250... it's low, it should be at least 5000.

However, do the problems occur only where there are many players in the server or also when there are few?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dragos240
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 05:03:01 AM »

Well, 50 players on a 1 Mbit connection really seem too many. You did not post your sv_maxrate value... but...
See: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Bandwidth
maxrate = int( U * 112.5 / P )
1000 *112.5/50=2250... it's low, it should be at least 5000.

However, do the problems occur only where there are many players in the server or also when there are few?

Yeah. I'm not planning on having that many when I launch. I never set a "sv_maxrate". I'll set that and see if that doesn't fix it.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »

If it happens on LAN too, that may be due to your network adapter, specially if you're using wifi, or maybe something shitty along the road.
The ping doesn't make everything, you also have to check packet loss and such, you may get hints with cg_lagometer 1.
Lastly, ensure your client has decent network settings (rate 25000, cl_maxpackets 30 ...), if you set it on "DSL" in game options that should be fine.
Try to ping your server and see if it comes well (no packet loss).

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: