Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: things that need looking at...  (Read 11880 times)
Charlieb000
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »

1 is if you turn the graphics right up the glare can be blinding, this would be ok if the low hardware ppl were blinded also, so its even.
2 the white text about fragging someone and your current place is a little too low (too close to the screen center, about 40% from the top!) and can interfere with game play.
3 /removed/
4 the game wont run if you plugged in a new monitor that doesnt support as higher res as the last one.
5 alt-tabing from game to windows and going back causes game to be too dark. using XP/sp3, Radeon HD 2600 and OA 081.  notes: when i launch game the desktop goes brighter before entering game. when i press the alt tab keys the alt/tab window appears in front of the game and the game goes darker. then when i release the alt tab, i go to the next program.
6 a weapon preference order-duke nukem had it... when a less preferred weapon is picked up, the character does not put down his weapon to change to it.

i can live without the above so not a bugs for me..
Charlie.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:28:56 PM by Charlieb000 » Logged
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »

3) The game has a med-kit...

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »

1) I think most visual can effects can be independently disabled. In particular cg_lei*
2) I didn't verify but cg_fragmsgsize could help you. Personally standard size suits me. Also have an eye on cg_draw* variables.
3) Huh, there are med-kits available in some levels (like in oa_bases7, down near the flag elevator)
4) Probably related to SDL, OpenGL, or ioquake3, some could say Windows. Very difficult problem to solve at our level.
5) Same as above, while I think this one is more ioquake3 related. There has been reports of wrong gamma/brightness depending on the OS/drivers.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Charlieb000
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »

3) what version are you running? i dont have that map. i just find one in "sleekgrinder"
i will add 6th
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:57:15 PM by Charlieb000 » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »

6) Autoswitch works this way (always switching to the weapon you just picked up, and enabled by default) since Q3A. IMHO, I think disabling autoswitch is one of the first things players should do while beginning to play ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#Hints).

Maybe developers may want to change it to disabled by default, instead of enabled by default... Sago and Fromhell, what do you think about it?

UPDATE:
About frag message (2), I just added a section about the cg_fragmsgsize variable here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Frag_message_size
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:20:05 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 07:12:45 AM »

I think autoswitch should stay on. Noobs don't weaponswitch enough (and don't have weaponbinds), so switching as soon as you pick it up is good for them. After a few months when they learn to pick the right weapon for each situation, then they should turn it off. I've played with autoswitch for a year or so, and it didn't even influence my skill that much. Now I can't play with it turned on anymore, but up to a few months or so it's not that bad (I mostly played instantgib, so my year of experience was the same as about 2-3months allweapons).
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »

i still play with auto switch because if i play all weap i need to get an update on some weapon skills like shotgun, pg, grenade launcher and so on.
if i use binds, i usualy just use all the same weapons like lg, rg, rl.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »

I think auto switch should stay on it helps people that are new get a feel for each weapon. Also I remember when I first turned it off and made weapons binds , took me a few games to get the keys just right but I figured it out.

Also while we are at it I was wondering what you’ll think about showing deaths and showing how many flags you capture in CTF?
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

I'll jump on the Default On for weaponswitch band wagon.  It does three things:
1) It pushes them to be able to switch weapons quickly and effectively.  I use the mousewheel, and have become very accurate at selecting weapons that way.
2) It gets you early exposure to weapons.  If you find yourself using GL at times, you'll figure out a few things it's useful for. 
3) It encourages new players to look at the options!  There are a few things that deserve tweaking, not just autoswitch.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »

About autoswitch: I just checked in the 0.8.8 RC... now it supports more modes. Default is still "always", and the other values are "never" (okay), "new", "better" (I don't know how... higher number?), "new&better".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:05:49 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »

There's a cvar which controls the weapon preference. I can't remember which one it is.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »

1 is if you turn the graphics right up the glare can be blinding, this would be ok if the low hardware ppl were blinded also, so its even...

If you turn the graphics right up?!!!  What???

I assume you're using the menu, and have all the settings in Graphics as high as possible and the same for Display (although why would you set brightness all the way up?)

In any event, you can adjust the gamma from the console with these cvars:

/r_gamma "x.x"  //where x.x represents a number like 0.7 or 1.4
/r_ignorehwgamma "1"  //options are 1 and 0

You may have to restart OA or enter the video restart command from the console: /vid_restart

...2 the white text about fragging someone and your current place is a little too low (too close to the screen center, about 40% from the top!) and can interfere with game play...

Must be a baseoa issue but in the meantime you can limit how many messages flood your screen with the following command from the console:

/cg_centertime "x"  //where x is 0-3.  0 equals disabled (not recommended as you will not see Admin scripted/cronjob messages indicating things like an automated server shutdown, etc. 3 is the default (I think) and is very verbose (but useful in demos).  2 less verbose and 1 is ideal for regular playing.

...4 the game wont run if you plugged in a new monitor that doesnt support as higher res as the last one...

You can edit the config but for a noob it is simply easier to delete the q3config.cfg file and the game will rebuild a compatible one on the next game startup.

...5 alt-tabing from game to windows and going back causes game to be too dark. using XP/sp3, Radeon HD 2600 and OA 081.  notes: when i launch game the desktop goes brighter before entering game. when i press the alt tab keys the alt/tab window appears in front of the game and the game goes darker. then when i release the alt tab, i go to the next program...

Possible solution: Uninstall the video drivers and use a cleanup utility to remove leftover crap.  Download latest Catalyst Drivers or use the ones from the CD that came with your card (the latter option will mean using old drivers but sometimes especially with Gigabyte's version of AMD or nVidia cards that seems to work best).

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4290.msg40087#msg40087

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:59:54 AM »

(cg_centertime is not part of vanilla OA)

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »

(cg_centertime is not part of vanilla OA)

I'll take your word.  However, I'm surprised since vanilla Q3A (baseq3) included cg_centerPrintTime and cg_centertime.  They are not OSP/CPMA/E+ additions.

Code:
 =================
 CL_DrawCenterString
 =================
*/
void CL_DrawCenterString (void){

int t, centerTime, fadeTime;
byte4_t fadeColor = {255, 255, 255, 255};

centerTime = cl_centerTime->value * 1000;

t = cl.time - cl.centerPrintTime;
if (t >= centerTime)
return;

fadeTime = centerTime * 0.2;
if (centerTime - t < fadeTime)
fadeColor[3] = 255 * ((centerTime - t) * (1.0 / fadeTime));

CL_DrawString(0, 256, 12, 12, 1024, cl.centerPrint, fadeColor, DSF_FORCECOLOR|DSF_DROPSHADOW|DSF_CENTER);
}

/*

Attached: cl_scrn.c (master for refresh, status bar, console, etc...)

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:27:52 AM »

Yes, sorry my mistake, I tested while no game running, I see now it autocompletes.
I wasn't aware of it, didn't have the opportunity to test but seems like a nice one, thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: