Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with a shader (CRITICAL FOR 0.8.8)  (Read 33222 times)
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »

looks great, more finished looking (but i enjoy the released version, sago Wink ).

— VortexHU —
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

I'm really wondering if I should keep the ambientlight, considering all the lighting in the map.

Anyway, final4 with plenty of changes, hopefully the final one. -.- If not, lei, just release 0.8.8 without this one. -.- I don't want more delays.

- No runes.
- The Railgun balconys were redone with patches. It seems to improve Vis, as these balconys were made of structural brushes.
- Lighting redone as well.
- Other minor changes.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

Great work. Now all we have to see is these new maps on servers. Server admins wake up!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »

- The Railgun balconys were redone with patches. It seems to improve Vis, as these balconys were made of structural brushes.
This sounds counter intuitive to me. I was under the impression that detail brushes and patches improved compile time speed at the cost of run speed. Not that it helps much in oasago2 because the engines culling algorithm has problems with the shape and open environment.

To make open maps like oasago2 fast the engine really needs an optimistic culling option. 

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »

For some reasons, I never liked oasago... 'til now. Great work.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »

+1 Cheesy

Hope to see all maps evolve like this. Good map at start but great map with these changes.
BlankBruno
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

First, let me say that I really like the looks of OASago2-final4--very nice improvements in my opinion.

I have what I'm afraid is a silly question, but I'll ask anyway:  if I download this map and copy it into my baseoa directory, should it work properly in OA 085?  Further, if I do that, and then join a server and OASago2 comes up in rotation, should I be able to play it normally, even if the server is using the older OASago2?

The reason I am asking is, I have done this, but I'm having issues, and I suspect it's because of a difference between 085 and 088, but I could be wrong--this is just a wild guess.  I think it's also very likely that it's because the server has one version of the map and is providing data based on that map, but I am using the newer one, and there is slight differences that are causing the problem.

I had downloaded -final3, and was able to play in single player mode with no noticeable issues.  When I tried it in multiplayer mode, I had several issues.  I thought maybe it was a map issue at first, so I checked back and found out that -final4 was available, so I downloaded it and tried it out, with similar results.

Please let me know if one or both of my assumptions are correct.  If not, I will provide more details as needed.

Thanks for your time, patience, and assistance.   Smiley
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »

You should start a separate thread.

The short answer is; As long as the server is running sv_pure 1, which is the default, additional pk3s such as maps should not cause any troubles.

This space is for rent.
BlankBruno
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »

You should start a separate thread.
Thanks.  I wanted to make sure whether it was just because I was doing something I shouldn't before I started a new thread.  Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

THIS IS TEH LAST ONE!!! And I'm done.

- Replaced flames (previously they were patches, they were rollbacked to brushes)
- No other changes aside of this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 03:03:36 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »

Well... it wasn't. -.-
It turns out that I forgot something, in this case, the hint brushes. -.-

So, here it is the definitive one.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »

Oh, thanks to this, I've learnt something new:

NEVER use patches for flared shaders. -.-

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »

Oh, thanks to this, I've learnt something new:

NEVER use patches for flared shaders. -.-

what happens when you do?

— VortexHU —
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »

Too many flares will spawn at the same spot and you'll have yourself one big bright flare that has 4 times more occlusion checks, which lead to even more slowdown
Remember that flares are still expensive even on modern hardware, it brings down my monster of a PC still.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »

oa_dm5, in fact, has that problem. It won't be solved for 0.8.alien though, as it's one of the low-priority maps.

(Speaking of which, we should start the Tribute pack improvement thread after 0.8.8 rolls out)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: