Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can't get bloom  (Read 14866 times)
vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 16, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »

hi there!

i just downloaded OA to get some bloom in Q3 and other available stuff, but when i typed in the console the bloom-related commands, played with all the values, just nothing happened. tried it both on my notebook (gf gt540m) and desktop (gf 560ti) without any luck. i really don't know what im doing wrong. and no, i didn't disable bloom in the first place by giving it 0 :I
(maybe i installed it incorrectly? i put everything from baseq3 into baseoa.)

please help, thx in advance!!

EDIT: in short: what should i do to make q3 look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf74YOhuccQ
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

Put everything from baseq3 to baseoa? Doesn't seem a great thing... maybe better to copy the whole "baseq3" folder to OA installation (or homepath) directory (creating openarena\baseq3) and then launching it as a mod. I tried it once, and more or less it worked, even if with some problems here and there... (but I didn't care about bloom).

Are you using OA 0.8.5 executables?

For q3 hi res textures... At ioquake3 site, in this page, there is an hi-res texture pack to download... I don't know if it is somehow related with the video you linked.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »

yes im using, 0.8.5. now i did a clean install on OA and copied baseq3 over into its root directory just like you said, yet still no luck.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »

Does bloom work if you play with standard OpenArena instead of q3-ing it?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Bloom

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:09 AM »

it doesn't. i set it in the setup menu, turned bloom and flares on, none of them worked (notebook and desktop). that's odd.

EDIT: actually i would accept the issue on my notebook as i had anomalies playing other idtech3 games on it, like COD and MOHAA. everything runs fine except that the colors are livid and inert making the game a lil bit darker than normally, but maybe it's just the native display my card can effort. can it be some rendering disorder? i only have default and voodoo gl drivers in the setup menu.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:49:11 AM by vladdrak » Logged
vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »

any ideas?

did anyone actually get bloom/flares working on the latest releases (0.8.1/0.8.5). can it be it's just not supported anymore? i've tried it on 3 different pc-s with the very same results.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:40:23 AM by vladdrak » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »

Not sure for 0.8.1, but openarena.exe (windows executable) that is in the zip of 0.8.5 works.

It's 0.8.8 executable (well, if you download from the 08x binaries forum thread, anything after version 25) that will autodisable bloom unless you will force 32bit textures before -"default" and "16 bit" values will disable bloom- (but in this case, you should find the option disabled again when re-accessing the menu).

Did you try using a clean configuration?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:12:52 PM by Gig » Logged

vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

the funny thing is, now whenever i try to start a clean configuration (i reextract the .zip files), all my configs are the same as before, e.g. player's name, controls, video options.. everything. as if it read from the register, which is also funny, coz i never actually installed the game. the textures are set to 32bit alrite, it's the color depth that switches back to default all the time.

EDIT: sry for being late with this, but thanks a bunch for trying to help me out here
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »

the funny thing is, now whenever i try to start a clean configuration (i reextract the .zip files), all my configs are the same as before, e.g. player's name, controls, video options.. everything. as if it read from the register, which is also funny, coz i never actually installed the game. the textures are set to 32bit alrite, it's the color depth that switches back to default all the time.
Configuration is stored in %APPDATA%\OpenArena, so every user has its own configuration on multiuser-systems.

Color depth cannot be changed anymore.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »

To get a completely clean configuration, you have to delete (or rename) q3config.cfg file, that is in your "homepath" folder (under Windows, the one that Sago said).

More info about configuration path:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

Color depth cannot be changed anymore.

there goes the voodoo and onboard crowd.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

I thought that was valid only for Bloom.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:32:05 AM »

SUCCESS!! deleting the q3config.cfg in baseq3 and oa in %AppData% and starting it all over really did the trick!! thanks a lot, guys!!
now all i gotta figure out, is it enough to manipulate the values regarding bloom and enable flares to get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhQCra6Jvg or does it incorporate any other 3rd party tool. what do you think? (im only interested in the light effects now, the texture pack is pak_Metal-Tech v2.0 Final.pk3 btw.. well at least i think it is as i have that and it looks pretty muck alike)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »

That video does not specify what they used to achieve bloom and lens flare. Standard quake3 had not them. ioquake3 added lens flare, and OpenArena inherited it from ioquake3. As far as I know, ioquake3 does not have bloom: bloom is a feature added in OpenArena.

I can imagine that the video, unless playing Q3 as a mod in OA, has probably been created by using another idTech3 fork.

PS: you can fine-tune bloom and flares by using a series of variables:
type \r_lensreflection and hit TAB for lens flare variables;
type \r_bloom and hit TAB for bloom variables.

vladdrak
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:08 AM »

that's what i was looking for. you got my Q3 look hardcore. the fun is finally tripled! thank you, guys!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: