Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA players  (Read 64523 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Maybe there could be more moderating around on servers, but that doesn't take away that most maps which are in OA really look awful, even compared to a Quake 3 maps. This has been improved since the last patches, but a lot of them still aren't having a proper balance between gameplay, flow, texturing, lighting, detailing and geometry. For example, ps37ctf2 is a very open map with nearly any cover and depth. It just asks to be camped on.
So I think it's too simple to blame moderation only the fact OA has a very small playing community.

P.S.
It would be bigger if I could connect to multiplayer xS.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:03:43 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »

it was worse. At one point there were lots of servers running the oa_base maps X(

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
BlueBoy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:47 AM »

I made a youtube video showing the issue OA servers have with campers !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEaFdsGe3MI

This video is a parody, showing campers, not really best OA players, but the reason for the title is because all of these players were #1 players in their teams, with higher scores than the whole enemy team together, and most of the time they end up harassing other players how bad their scores are.. And the song "Got to keep on moving" is on purpose too, since these players aren't going anywhere but to hug their own flag/base.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:49:06 AM by BlueBoy » Logged
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

This is what i call "hardcore camper".
But not as dramatic as i thought Wink (ok, it can be annoying if assrape is inside his base, but this is because of my bad rocket skills).
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »

What about offering rocket-only deathmatch or any other mode which isn't having a certain few hotspots like a flag? It's just retarded to blame those guys only, as the server creates the environment.

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

Ok I can see you point on some of them a little but what got be that was not addressed is the 2 vs 1 insta gib against unamedplayer. When it’s 2 vs 1, the 1 lone player has to do at least a little camping because he has to both defend his base and get the flag. These types of games in a way force a little camping to defend the base  because if the team with less players did not they  would get run over.
BlueBoy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »

Ok I can see you point on some of them a little but what got be that was not addressed is the 2 vs 1 insta gib against unamedplayer. When it’s 2 vs 1, the 1 lone player has to do at least a little camping because he has to both defend his base and get the flag. These types of games in a way force a little camping to defend the base  because if the team with less players did not they  would get run over.

For Unnamed video, you should have paid attention to the scores, Unnamed was camping the whole game against El Tonto 1v1 (9 mins), he had 70+ kills when Tonto had 20.. So Satanist Ru joined to help El Tonto.. Later on you can see Unnamed has 150 kills, Tonto has 30 and Satanist has 16..
On the video you can also see Unnamed killing both of the enemies from the tunnel, and still going back to base to 'Defend'.. And he was getting killing spree killing them from the tunnel spot, and still didn't decide to get out of the tunnel and do some attacking..
I understand that it was 2v1, but he brought himself in that position by sitting in the tunnel getting three times higher score than his opponent, and later on 3 times bigger score than his opponents score together lol..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:54:22 AM by BlueBoy » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »

Well, individual score in CTF counts little... team flag captures really count!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »

Indeed, but most players just take care of their own score.
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:54:35 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
son_goku2
ADMIN NOTE: This account is now banned, keeps creating sockuppets (and has yet to take a hint). Also has blanked own posts under 0kelvin who is banned.
Nub

Cakes -4

I don't play OA.

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

I don't have OA installed anymore, or any other games for the matter. Last time I played was in 2009.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:36:57 PM by son_goku2 » Logged

Cakes -666999
Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »

The only USA server that always seems to attract players is "ciggaweed - no bitchassness". I love DM so this is okay with me. The reason it's a success is because it requires no downloads, runs 0.8.1 (0.8.8 is ok too but there are some annoying changes), the maps are very well picked and aside from cheating, players are allowed to play however they want. Even those lame newbies with rocket jump binds aren't kicked for doing so. My RJ's are real and I still don't care, and I will never care to get rcon on this server.

Too many rules, too many downloads, and a poor map balance can empty any server.
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:54:40 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
Jewjitsu
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:49 AM »

I will certainly agree on some of the [081] baseoa maps being poorly designed sniper festivals with zero cover, or maps that encourage whoring in other ways like putting powerups, weapons, and health too close together. That ruins the flow of an otherwise well-made map, causing everyone to go towards a choke point. The sad fact is that many players like these kinds of maps and MarquisDeSade has done an excellent job picking a list of maps that the best and the worst of us will enjoy playing on. Something must be said for a server that continues to fill night after night.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2013, 05:42:35 AM »

I will certainly agree on some of the [081] baseoa maps being poorly designed sniper festivals with zero cover, or maps that encourage whoring in other ways like putting powerups, weapons, and health too close together. That ruins the flow of an otherwise well-made map, causing everyone to go towards a choke point. The sad fact is that many players like these kinds of maps and MarquisDeSade has done an excellent job piing a list of maps that the best and the worst of uswill enjoy playing on. Something must be said for a server that continues to fill night after night.

That map which you play on in the last tier is also a very good example of a,map which just lacks flow and is a jumppad festival (not even speaking of it's poor lighting; you seriously can't see a thing).

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »

I go to ROFL - All rockets just because I love all rockets.. But I've been pushed away from that server by the players who are usually on there.. You can't have one game without a camper who is just sitting in base shooting at flag, and since the server doesn't have bright skins, it's sometimes hard to notice that there's somebody waiting for you in the base.. And to make it even worse, those campers play better than like 80% of players on the server, so they really ruin the potential fun the server has. I got on it yesterday, and there were Assrape, Joker camping their bases, until Palas came it was alright since Assrape kept getting kicked (3-1 votes), but since Palas came he would vote not to kick Assrape so votes were 3-2 and would always fail, Assrape was camping red base, Joker was camping blue base, until literally everybody left. The server had like 8 players on it, then I left and in like 2 mins I came back to record the campers, but unfortunately the server was already empty..
The only reason I play OA is because of that one well moderated server I mentioned, every other server is horribly moderated, and the community in general is filled with players who are afraid of challenge and refuse to play fair, yet they think highly of themselves..

I am currently launching a pack of new community servers (based on the concept of community self management, anyone can become a moderator, but that will be described later in a dedicated post).

After your comment, I decided to make available a CTF rockets only server with anticamp and full delag (rockets included).

It is called OAC CTF Rockets NoCamp, IP: 188.165.182.177:27985

Let me know if you have any feedbacks (things to enhance, etc.):
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/d?k=01GZ465xAGD3iYJctswfJhqg==&c=Hbb30vgeDX9ABQVBv3x-Wa525q6OKq9AaBebFjdnXns=
BlueBoy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:36 AM »

I am currently launching a pack of new community servers (based on the concept of community self management, anyone can become a moderator, but that will be described later in a dedicated post).

After your comment, I decided to make available a CTF rockets only server with anticamp and full delag (rockets included).

It is called OAC CTF Rockets NoCamp, IP: 188.165.182.177:27985

Let me know if you have any feedbacks (things to enhance, etc.):
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide/d?k=01GZ465xAGD3iYJctswfJhqg==&c=Hbb30vgeDX9ABQVBv3x-Wa525q6OKq9AaBebFjdnXns=

I just checked the server out, it's really good !
shows stats, shows time it took to capture and it has camp protection !!

I'll try to get some people to play on this server Smiley

OAC CTF Rockets NoCamp all the way !
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »

@BlueBoy: thank you for your kind feedback Smiley

There are a lot more to come, like online stats and the public release of the config (because the system is meant to be fully opensource - except for the passwords of course) and a full-blown website.

Meanwhile you can check out the online tools, sourcecode, news and feedback on twitter from the official website (to avoid being off-topic here):
http://oa-community.com/
capodecima
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »

LOL BlueBoy you are good player but this video oh rofl, really stop complaing about campers , this players are good. Public is and will always without "rules", anyone play how he want. You just like run so you think always must like run ? heh ? I also like sometime defend flag. Dont make of public something more than it is. Only what open arena needs is competition.
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »

There are a lot more to come, like online stats and the public release of the config (because the system is meant to be fully opensource - except for the passwords of course) and a full-blown website.

Meanwhile you can check out the online tools, sourcecode, news and feedback on twitter from the official website (to avoid being off-topic here):
http://oa-community.com/

Hey GrosBedo!

I checked the site, especially the maplist: extensive!

One minor problem. I tried to log in to the "OAC Fair DM" server and received the "this is a Quake3Arena server" error.
I ran into this before when I was running OA 0.8.1. I am running 0.8.8 now and other servers that were inaccessible are now open to me.

Is there something I'm missing?

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: