Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 maps  (Read 15686 times)
70MM13
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: January 27, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »

I just finished converting three of my maps to openarena.

For a limited time they will be at
http://www.ob3lisk.com/openarena/

add them to the game if you wish.  it's my gift to the community.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:08:06 PM »

I downloaded them and looked at them. They seemed ok.

However I have not actually tried them yet. There are no aas-file in the pk3 and I don't think many people likes to compile one themself. A arena-file would be good for many people.

The map can't be included in the main release do to its license (I read a little through the pk3 file), but maybe there is room in a non-free bonus pack.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
70MM13
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »

i dont know why everyone is so messed up with this nonfree bs.  these are MY maps, made by ME, with MY content.

i give my permission for them to be used.  how's that??

as for aas files, i will try to add them, but i dont see it as being important since the bots suck anyways...
ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »

i dont know why everyone is so messed up with this nonfree bs.  these are MY maps, made by ME, with MY content.

He said that the maps can't be included in the main release because your maps is not free and not GPL, please try to understand that they can't do any exceptions just for you. As for the fact that the users on this forum favors free stuff, openarena was made for a reason; for people to be able to modify, add and contribute without meeting barriers. (methinks)
70MM13
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »

i've added aas files to the pk3's

do what you like.

some gratitude.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »

I want to apologize if my post seemed offending it was not the purpose. I tried to way it so nice I could because I knew someone would yell up shortly.

It is not my call anyway.

It was just that I by accident stumbled across templepit.pk3 contains a scripts/crucifiedguyreadmy.txt have the usual counter-commercial distribution. Of cause if you made the crucified guy and give the Open Arena folks permission to ignore that. I just know from the Debian guys that included files that counter other permissions are not looked on nicely (Yes, I had the problem too)

I am still thankfull for the maps

There are nothing offending in my posts.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:56:34 PM »

these are MY maps, made by ME, with MY content.

Great! Peachy!  Spectacular!!  What?  Oh right, if you aren't going to license your content under the GPL we won't be able to distribute it.

as for aas files, i will try to add them, but i dont see it as being important since the bots suck anyways...

Thanks for the pointers on helping us to improve the project... "the bots suck" is oh so helpful.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »

70MM13, I see you're not that interested in licensing( who can blame you eh? ). The problem is however that OpenArena cant include your maps in the main release without it being under an Open Source license( preferably GPL ).

Basically this is to prevent people from being sued. For example you give permission for OpenArena to use your maps, however you do not state they are allowed to modify your maps or its content. Therefore the courts could get involved with copyright laws, etc.

This can all be prevented by taking the "COPYING" text file from OpenArena and placing it in the zipped file. This means that your work is under the GPL and is licensed for others to use & modify.

If you do wish to be credited for your work, I'm sure it can be easily done. By creating another text file called CREDIT and placing your name in it. Requesting that if your files get used that you be credited for it.
erachude
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »

don't worry sage007, your post wasn't offensive.

i like your idea of a non-free bonus pack. it would need to be carefully handled, but it might be doable.
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »

I do find the idea of a non-free bonus pack offensive.
I find the name *bonus pack* particularly offensive.

There are several Quake 3 projects out there that use non-free content. Most have died, and many more will die.

What is quite evident is that it is not clear about a submitting policy. Or why GPL is used.

This is the second post I have seen with a "do what you want with it comment"...and the response hasn't been "great could you insert this text file(gpl license); This is why <insert link here>. Look forward to its inclusion in OpenArena 0.7

The value that 70MM13 maps could be improved upon; converted to new formats would be a wonderful thing...as is openarena.
Gloom
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 09:09:03 AM »

I don't want to get involved in the should the map creater GPL their maps or not.
I just want to say thanks to the mapper, I downloaded and played them and found 3towers and penthouse to be very reminisent of reaction quake 3 maps and therefor to me great fun to play.

Any chance of a few more along these lines but a bit bigger plz Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: