Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.8 released!  (Read 234931 times)
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:43 AM »

well done on getting the 0.8.8 release out!

although i haven't had time to do anything oa-related in many months, i've tried to follow the forum and discussions.

hopefully i'll have time to download and test the latest release soon Smiley
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »

Great to have this out.
Gotta update my server too soon. Evil

http://arenafinland.tk a finnish OpenArena server and clan.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Picky :)

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 06:54:52 AM »

don't do it...wait 5 years or so.
i'm already using the new patch on my servers since it was unofficially released now no one connected so far because no one has the patch.some people also still are only using 0.8.1 !!!
also can't use the new neko because everyone will see me as sarge because they are not using the patch.

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 07:01:25 AM »

I installed the new 8.8 the other day and I really like the updates guys. I especially like the Doom like music on the new aggressor and that lava map it brings back a great nostalgia  feeling. Also I was wonder is it just me or do have some of the bots gotten hard to hit, or am I just turning into a senile old man lol.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:42 AM »

don't do it...wait 5 years or so.
That was very douchy on your part.

Do I have to remind you again the amount of time we had for bug reporting? Where were you when we needed you?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »

i said it before and i will say it again i joined open arena a few days ago.
and we have now 2012 and people are still running around with 0.8.1
i suggest to make the previous versions unplayable so they are forced to use the neweset patch/game

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »

Setup your server for DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Automatic_downloading]automatic downloading (using a web server to allow fast downloads!), and most people connecting to your server will automatically get 0.8.5 and 0.8.8 patches installed (well, they would still use old binaries -autodownload works with pk3 files only-, but this should not be a big problem).

PS: creating a public server when the new patch was not yet official has not been a great idea. Please check that your server is using the official patch and not a previous ReleaseCandidate...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 07:59:40 AM »

the server is running the official one which you would know when you would read what i am writing all the time.and yes i have autodownlaod enabled.and no i don't have http download because i don't have an ftp server.and i don't wanna make one on my pc.

also most people who are joinign my servers don't have autodownload enabled in their configs!!!!!!!!!

they just connect and leave

and yes people CAN join my servers.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »

I asked that cause of this phrase of yours:
i'm already using the new patch on my servers since it was unofficially released
that required a confirm.  Smiley (that "unofficial realeased" sounds strange)

Anyway, you are not forced to host the http/ftp download on your machine: you can use a third-party service (e.g. dropbox) for that.
If users start downloadin an 80 MB file at 10 kB/s, it's obvious they will quit your server even in case they have autodownload enabled. Anyway, leaving autodownload disabled by default is a specific Fromhell design choice, and probably won't be changed.

About a server that is visible in internal browser, but not from dpmaster web site... I don't know what to think... I can suggest you to do more tests with the outgoing NAT rules to be sure that your heartbeat packets are not port-translated by your router/firewall (otherwise, master server will reply on the wrong port); Wireshark may be useful.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:28:15 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »

the server is running the official one which you would know when you would read what i am writing all the time.and yes i have autodownlaod enabled.and no i don't have http download because i don't have an ftp server.and i don't wanna make one on my pc.

Be careful, there are two different autodownload cvars: one for clients (cl_allowDownload) and one for servers (sv_allowDownload). Please check that the server one is enabled.

And indeed, as Gig pointed out, an HTTP download might help because people will disconnect by themselves if the download is too slow.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

the server one is enabled.

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:17 PM »

LauraNeko, like Gig suggested, I think you and all Admins ought to use a 3rd Party for redirects.  First, there are several no-cost and no-nag services like those offered by http://www.Dropbox.com, http://x10hosting.com, http://www.000webhost.com and http://freeftpspace.org.  Second, it's inconsiderate for any admin not to take advantage of the aforementioned services and instead have their visitors suffer snail-paced downloads.

However, concerning the autodownload issue I feel your pain because while many visitors to this Forum have autodownload enabled (or know how to enable it) most OA players don't have it enabled and never will.  These casual and temporary players just want to play and will never take the time to delve into the game.  As soon as they see any roadblocks they move on to other games because its easier.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »

Just thinking... this thread is for the 0.8.8 release announcement: we should continue the tech discussions in the "technical snafus" section of the forums.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »

I think that the problem is more about anthropology than technicality. Even if you set an http download, many players will just abort the autodownload because the update is too big. I've seen it happen before.

Just wait for players adoption. This can't be helped.
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »

Is it enough if I just copy the pak6-patch088.pk3 file to my existing install, or should I update the launcher too?

http://arenafinland.tk a finnish OpenArena server and clan.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »

Is it enough if I just copy the pak6-patch088.pk3 file to my existing install, or should I update the launcher too?

You should also update the binaries.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:48 PM »

reminds me of a previous post of me.
a post were i told people to close the open arena exe because
else the patch will not overwrite the open arena exe.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:28 AM »

On the left column of the frontpage:

Current Release: 0.8.8
Released: Feb 2012
Download full ZIP, or the patch

Next Release: 0.9.0
ETA: 2012?

Unless you guys have a really precise plans with included margins for bugs fixing, it would be advisable to set a far higher date than this one, like 2013, because else you will have people complaining that the next release is late, when in fact the date was too soon to be attended.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:16 AM »

0.9.0 will be released if we can get 100% texture replacement project done.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »

0.9.0 will be released if we can get 100% texture replacement project done.

Oh, I better get cracking then...

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gonzo
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »

Sorry, guys, may I ask you a tiny Q here? Is it OK when I choose to Exit the game it says smth like "Terminating..." and quits without asking yes/no like it used to be before in the previous versions? Thank you.

There is always a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »

Sorry, guys, may I ask you a tiny Q here? Is it OK when I choose to Exit the game it says smth like "Terminating..." and quits without asking yes/no like it used to be before in the previous versions? Thank you.
Yep, and it's a feature, not a bug. I don't fully agree with that feature, but well...

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

If i had played the game more then twice i am bored about the typical Microsoft question "Are You _Realy_Sure to quit the game?" -> "Yes" "Of Course" "Sure"

Next question: "realy? Think about it twice!"
Followed by:.
"We can not believe in your decision! Please try again."

If i click "quit" i like to quit the game.
No more questions plz - this is windows behaviour.
In rl (tm) nobody asks you about your decisions if they are trivial like this!

If somebody makes the wrong decision (1 of a hundred times) he is able to restart OA in - lets say - 5 seconds. No data lost, no probs.

So i am fine with this solution (just my ,02$)

PS: do you know this?
"Sie haben ihren Mauszeiger bewegt, der neue Treiber wurde installiert. Windows neu starten?"
"Ja" "Natürlich" "Aber sicher"
JockeTF
Nub

Cakes 3

I like alpacas!

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:02 AM »

Yay! Thank you for the new release!

j0x
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »

thanks for the release i may just be a low active lurker but i always want OpenArena to be updated and this is good!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: