Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished 0.8.8 not available  (Read 94962 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:13 AM »

Swaggerall, bugs caused by turning off sv_pure aren't considered bugs. Turning off sv_pure should be done for test purposes only. Turning it off can cause unpredictible results. If a server uses sv_pure 0, you should blame its admin, not OA devs. More info: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Pure_server. To connect to that specific server, you will have to manually disable 088 patch before starting the game (e.g. renaming it from .pk3 to .pk3.old).

IIRC, the main menu logo moved to the right is intentional, Fromhell did it this way on purpose... Anyway, if you tested the RCs (that have been there since months), you should have already noticed that. I have no opinion if I like that or not...

With folder problems with Linux do you mean that they have problems accessing game data due to file permissions which are set to allow "root" user only? They have to change file permissions (chmod)... This is a problem that affects the "complete" 0.8.8 download package, but a fixed package should have been uploaded this night...

I have to try if crosshairs have something strange as you say, I have not tried to change them!
Are you sure you have a clean installation, without extra pk3s in your "baseoa" folders under both "basepath" (installation) folder and "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath" (configuration/autodownload) folder?

If you have to upload files extensions that are not accepted by the forum, just compress them in .zip format before.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Swaggerall, bugs caused by turning off sv_pure aren't considered bugs. Turning off sv_pure should be done for test purposes only. Turning it off can cause unpredictible results. If a server uses sv_pure 0, you should blame its admin, not OA devs.

Gig, your comment seems strange to me.  Pure was never the default in Quake III Arena or Team Arena.  The fact that it is mandatory and not recommended is odd to this Quake veteran but perhaps, it's because I am not aware of previous OA discussions leading to the rationale of that "official" decision.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

Pure was never the default in Quake III Arena or Team Arena.  The fact that it is mandatory and not recommended is odd to this Quake veteran but perhaps, it's because I am not aware of previous OA discussions leading to the rationale of that "official" decision.

sv_pure "1" is the default value for Quake 3 1.32c. I don't have any previous sources or binaries though. It's also the default in every ioquake3 release ever since.

This space is for rent.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »

@WaspKiller: also the reason behind this is that gamecode updates are correctly picked using sv_pure 1, without it clients cannot know whether they are using the right version or not. Also, sv_pure bugs were fixed in some revisions of ioquake3, so now it shouldn't be avoided anymore.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

...gamecode updates are correctly picked using sv_pure 1, without it clients cannot know whether they are using the right version or not...

Good to know.

sv_pure "1" is the default value for Quake 3 1.32c. I don't have any previous sources or binaries though. It's also the default in every ioquake3 release ever since.

I don't think so but I will verify by installing Q3 Gold and then as many of the individual updates that I have like 1.27, 1.29 and 1.32b/c.  As for the ioq3 source, I never commented on that but I trust what you say as correct.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »

@WaspKiller: to add more details, there's no hack with sv_pure for OA, it's only the normal behaviour, and in fact it can also be used to this effect with ExcessivePlus: if an excessiveplus v2.0 has sv_pure 1, players that connects with excessiveplus v2.1 will automatically only use excessiveplus v2.0 pk3 (since E+ also use a similar incremental updates system as OA).

So it's mainly set as default to allow for automatic retrocompatibility (client OA 0.8.8 connecting to servers OA <= 0.8.5), but for a normal update (from OA 0.8.5 to OA 0.8.Cool one can disable sv_pure (but it's safer to keep it enable to ensure that all clients load the required pk3 as needed). So a server that is up-to-date can set sv_pure 0, but a server running an older version should not at any cost.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

My Q3 1.32c reports sv_pure 1 as default. Even my q3 DEMO (the hystorical four maps Q3 demo! v1.11) reports sv_pure 1 as default.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »

I noticed neonknight took liberty with the filename (openarena-0.8.8-repack.zip)...

YOU MESSED UP IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE OA088.ZIP

you also double messed up, you deleted the original zip file!  I didn't want that until the new repack is confirmed to be available! I thought I made that clear in a PM. Now people at modDB can't download the full thing in the news link!

088 has one screwed up launch -_-  it doesn't help the news article for 088's release was authed too late enough to be snowed on by the next days' news so it never got any front page attention. Makes me wonder if that's intentional

I need a vacation.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

My Q3 1.32c reports sv_pure 1 as default. Even my q3 DEMO (the hystorical four maps Q3 demo! v1.11) reports sv_pure 1 as default.

Grey Matter and Gig, both of your are correct.  I installed Q3 Gold (the original 1999 release that I purchased in 2000) and Pure is the default for both non-dedicated and dedicated servers.  It was not even something changed by a later patch.

OSP and Excessive Plus Clan Wars always mandated that Pure be enabled along with many other requirements so I guess this is where my confusion started.  I always assumed that Pure was not the default since it seemed redundant to insist on its being enabled when the map intros always show in large print whether the server is unlagged and/or pure.  Mea culpa.

---------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

...I need a vacation.

You deserve one.  Congratulations to you and the Dev Team on the release of 0.8.8.  The full extent of time and skill invested will probably never be known or fully appreciated by most players but the faithful are eternally grateful.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

Angry

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »

i have alot of issues i found with this...

first off some of the parts in oa are missing colors such as in the system menu AND the crosshairs like the X/t

are missing infact theres alot of crosshairs missing

the total feel is not the same

oa logos are faded on ps9ctf in specfic

and they are either not there or faded

my first time i joined a server using the patch it was nothing but darkness but i was able to see through walls...

(WINDOWS)

on the openarena menu the openarena logo is far off to the RIGHT im not sure if its supposed to be like this but it doesnt look proper

ive spoken to people that are using linux that says there having issues with the folder as well

the patch has no issues with the logos or the crosshairs other than the logo being to the far RIGHT

i have demo but cannot upload here because it doesnt accept the .dm_71 attachment

and i have screenshots of the logos and the darkness but they came out in .tga

LOOK INTO THESE ISSUES

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

Swaggerall, bugs caused by turning off sv_pure aren't considered bugs. Turning off sv_pure should be done for test purposes only. Turning it off can cause unpredictible results. If a server uses sv_pure 0, you should blame its admin, not OA devs. More info: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Pure_server. To connect to that specific server, you will have to manually disable 088 patch before starting the game (e.g. renaming it from .pk3 to .pk3.old).

IIRC, the main menu logo moved to the right is intentional, Fromhell did it this way on purpose... Anyway, if you tested the RCs (that have been there since months), you should have already noticed that. I have no opinion if I like that or not...

With folder problems with Linux do you mean that they have problems accessing game data due to file permissions which are set to allow "root" user only? They have to change file permissions (chmod)... This is a problem that affects the "complete" 0.8.8 download package, but a fixed package should have been uploaded this night...

I have to try if crosshairs have something strange as you say, I have not tried to change them!
Are you sure you have a clean installation, without extra pk3s in your "baseoa" folders under both "basepath" (installation) folder and "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath" (configuration/autodownload) folder?

If you have to upload files extensions that are not accepted by the forum, just compress them in .zip format before.

LOOK INTO THESE SOLUTIONS

If you persist in being thick and rude as always, I might have to ban you again, but this time, permanently.

Requoting yourself and ignoring posts is not "just trying to help"

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »

Swaggerall, another thing that you may check: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4460.0
If you have 085 patch pk3 under %appdata%\OpenArena\baseoa AND 088 patch under OAinstallation_folder\baseoa, you will experience problems. In that case, move both 085 and 088 patch pk3s to the same folder.

Virus
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »

I have the same problem as swaggerall with all-dark ps9ctf map since updating to 088. I checked the folders and moved away all custom pk3 files except brightskins.

Further I noticed on oasago2 (changed visuals/details if I am right) that I can see through the arched walls when I get close to them and the stairs of the bridge are very bumpy. This is for server A which is the same swaggerall is about.

Server A
 It says pure 0 and problems are as listed above.

Then I checked other servers
Server B
It says pure 1 and old mapscreenshots appear during loading and both maps look like before. So as you wrote before: Server A needs to be pure.

Server C
Had also tested this one. The name says it is already 088 and has pure 1. Oasago2 with new look plays all smooth there. But ps9ctf is dark???

It is not immediately important to me, but why is ps9ctf dark on server C ?
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »

Videoflags I'd say.

Server B: 7
Server C: 0 (as in server A).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »

I know nothing about videoflags. Do you know where I could find some documentation?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:56 AM »

Too strange, I can see ps9ctf normally, and I'm using 0.8.8 and a default config for it. (Only changed the screen size to 1440x900 and disabled flares and lens reflection)

Tell your admins to make sure that the server is updated to 0.8.alien both binary and pk3-wise. Also, check for pk3 with customized vms.

I know nothing about videoflags. Do you know where I could find some documentation?
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1908.msg25566#msg25566

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 05:50:44 AM »

"Videoflags" or "fairflags"?
Maybe they were initially called "fairflags" and later renamed to "videoflags"? In my OA, "fairflags" variable seems to do not exist... while "videoflags" exists (and it is set to 7, the default: that should mean 4+2+1=all three locks enabled?).

Maybe also g_persistantpowerups (cited in the post you linked) was the first name of what is now named "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/G_runes]g_runes"?

Update: tried... if I set videoflags to 0, now cg_fov higher than 140 actually work (while usually cg_fov>140 affects only weapon drawing and not the world, that is shown like with 140). And it is possible to use r_vertexlight 1 (while it usually reverts to 0 instead). PS: I finally understood why high r_picmip values are automatically reverted to 3!

GrosBedo, how do you think this may be related with their problem? Maybe they use vertex light and that map it looks especially dark in that case?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:15:36 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »

Yep, fairflags was later renamed to videoflags. It was a suggestion of mine, for a more neutral sounding name.

Also, simple: if with a default config the map still looks dark offline (as in, using devmap and a default config) then I'll believe it's a bug of the map. Otherwise, it's an error of their config.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »

For me, with a default configuration, many maps look dark: one of the first things I have to do when dealing with a "clean" configuration, is to adjust brightness.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »

I mean, dark = pitch black.

And strange, I keep on deleting my config and replacing it with a default one, (only replacing the resolution and deactivating r_lensreflection1 - and no, none of them are the problem) and the maps doesn't look dark for me. VGA problem, perhaps?

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:41 AM »

Gamma, IMO.

Since gamma can be adjusted by many external levels, like room lighting, monitor settings, it's kinda beyond control. Especially that some people have better eyes, can see more out from the darkness, some not.

I do think tho that maybe gamma should be upped in the default config a tiny bit.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Virus
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

Offline ps9ctf is all normal.
It is not about gamma. Even gamma 1000 changes nothing. The world itself is black and I can see through some iterations of walls (item show up and disappear when I move around).

Deleting config is no use.
No Vertex-Lightning: (Menu: System/Lightning/Lightmap (Normal))

Code:
seta r_allowExtensions "0"
seta r_allowResize "0"
seta r_anaglyphMode "0"
seta r_aviMotionJpegQuality "90"
seta r_bloom "0"
seta r_bloom_alpha "0.3"
seta r_bloom_cascade "0"
seta r_bloom_cascade_alpha "0.15"
seta r_bloom_cascade_blur ".4"
seta r_bloom_cascade_dry "0.8"
seta r_bloom_cascade_intensity "20"
seta r_bloom_darken "4"
seta r_bloom_diamond_size "8"
seta r_bloom_dry "1"
seta r_bloom_fast_sample "0"
seta r_bloom_intensity "1.3"
seta r_bloom_reflection "0"
seta r_bloom_sample_size "128"
seta r_bloom_sky_only "0"
seta r_centerWindow "0"
seta r_colorbits "0"
seta r_customPixelAspect "1"
seta r_customheight "400"
seta r_customwidth "640"
seta r_depthbits "0"
seta r_detailtextures "0"
seta r_dlightBacks "1"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_dynamiclight "1"
seta r_envMode "1"
seta r_ext_compiled_vertex_array "0"
seta r_ext_compressed_textures "0"
seta r_ext_max_anisotropy "2"
seta r_ext_multisample "0"
seta r_ext_multitexture "1"
seta r_ext_texture_env_add "1"
seta r_ext_texture_filter_anisotropic "0"
seta r_ext_vertex_shader "0"
seta r_facePlaneCull "1"
seta r_fastsky "1"
seta r_finish "0"
seta r_flares "0"
seta r_flaresDlight "0"
seta r_flaresSurfradii "0"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_gamma "1.65"
seta r_greyscale "0"
seta r_ignoreFastPath "1"
seta r_ignoreGLErrors "1"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"
seta r_inGameVideo "1"
seta r_lensReflection1 "0"
seta r_lensReflection2 "0"
seta r_lensReflectionBrightness "0.5"
seta r_lodCurveError "250"
seta r_lodbias "5"
seta r_marksOnTriangleMeshes "0"
seta r_mode "4"
seta r_monolightmaps "1"
seta r_noborder "1"
seta r_overBrightBits "1"
seta r_picmip "3"
seta r_postprocess "none"
seta r_primitives "2"
seta r_railCoreWidth "4"
seta r_railSegmentLength "32"
seta r_railWidth "6"
seta r_roundImagesDown "2"
seta r_screenshotJpegQuality "90"
seta r_simpleMipMaps "1"
seta r_smp "0"
seta r_specMode "0"
seta r_stencilbits "0"
seta r_stereoEnabled "0"
seta r_stereoSeparation "64"
seta r_subdivisions "20"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
seta r_texturebits "16"
seta r_vertexLight "0"
seta r_zproj "64"
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »

Then it's a problem of the server. It might be outdated (i.e. using a previous version of the map, the one in 0.8.5, as the one in 0.8.8 was changed) or there's another pk3 corrupting the map.

There's also the chance that it might not be a pure server...

If offline ps9ctf is normal, it should also be normal online.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »

GrosBedo, how do you think this may be related with their problem? Maybe they use vertex light and that map it looks especially dark in that case?

Yes that was the idea. But it seems that it does not come from the graphical settings clientside.

I concur with Neon_Knight, probably conflicting pak on the server (but the server is shown as pure, but nevertheless pure does not fix every pak conflicts).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: