Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Server doesen't show up on master server  (Read 43110 times)
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Picky :)

« on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:57 AM »

ok, why does my server not show up on the master server list?
i tried some things i read in the forum but with no results.
the server is on my private machine.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »

Are you saing that with 0.8.5 it worked and stopped working after 0.8.8 upgrade? Or is it a "new" server?

Already checked the suggestions here?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer#Dedicated_server
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multiplayer#Testing

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »

it didn't work on 0.8.5 nor does it work on 0.8.8

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »

also it does show up in the games server list but not on the master server site

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »

i don't know what to do...
i opened some ports manually in my firewall
i also told the servers to conenct to this ports but still nothing in the master list...
but why telling them...they are already using these ports and things work fine
people can connect from the games list.
but it wont show up on the amster server list.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:37:49 AM »

Try following the tests I linked before, and tell us which work and which not...

E.g. what happens if you type this URL in your browser? http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=My_server_IP (place your IP or IP:port in the place of "My_server_IP").

Can you tell us your server address and port, and keep the server up (with a map loaded) for some time? Are you sure you are using "dedicated 2" mode?

From what I understand from your post, other pleople sees your server from the built-in server browser, but not from http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena ? Very strange... Are those people are from the internet or from your LAN?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »

they are already using these ports and things work fine
people can connect from the games list.
but it wont show up on the amster server list.

As Gig pointed out, I'm myself pretty sure you tested with the same machine (or another in the same lan) to connect to your gameserver. A gameserver in a LAN will always be found in the serverlist, but internet players won't have it in their games list, unless your server shows up in the master server list (actually this is why the master server list exists).

Probably you don't have the right configuration for your firewall. Remember to allow both UDP and TCP for the ports used by your gameserver. Also, you can sniff your own communication with Wireshark to see where it is broken.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »

lol no, not lan.other people wouldn't be able to join from the internet if it only would be lan and yes the servers are dedicated 2

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:40 AM »

E.g. what happens if you type this URL in your browser? http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=My_server_IP (place your IP or IP:port in the place of "My_server_IP").

then my server appears for me

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

Okay... then maybe it's your heartbeat packet that is port-translated by your router, and thus the master server replies using the wrong port (I don't know if in that case other clients are able to find your server... dpmaster web site not!).

Try reading attently the part that says "you should verify that it really appears in the server list" in (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Testing, and check how it may apply to your case...

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

i'm not using a router.i'm using a modem

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »

So, you are not behind a NAT/PAT? Is your computer IP the same as your external IP?
Did you try to disable any firewall, as a test?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:30:12 AM by Gig » Logged

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »

lol no, not lan.other people wouldn't be able to join from the internet if it only would be lan and yes the servers are dedicated 2

I'm not talking about the dedicated cvar: a server can always be accessed by its ip and port, even if it's not shown in the master server listing.

I concur with Gig as I'm pretty sure that your server just does not reply correctly to the master server listing heartbeats.

Also, please check that sv_master1 is set to dpmaster.deathmask.net
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »

no i guess they are not the same and no i didn't disable the firewall because of the security risk.

Also, please check that sv_master1 is set to dpmaster.deathmask.net

is set correctly.

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »

ok i deactivated the firewall and restarted the servers but it didn't help at all.
i bet nothign will help.
because i always run in not working stuff.
like the program gtkradiant it wont work correctly for me.
i alsow as searching for the improt/export plugin for blender for open arena
modeling.both links are broken.
i'm very very unlucky

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »

About Blender plugin, try asking Fromhell.
Maybe you may find something useful here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Models
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Modeling
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Making_a_player_model
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Creating_a_player_model_in_Blender
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/MD3_format
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ
If you find updated links for those plugins, please let me know, I'll try to update the wiki.

About *Radiant, there should be something around here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials#Resources <<-- OA Gamepack for Radiant.
I think Sago published a single download package with Radiant including the gamepack... but I cannot find it right now...

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »

i can not understand why the heck the master server shows my server when i post the ip behind it but not when my server posts the ip to the master server.this is a mysterie

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

As Gig pointed out, I'm myself pretty sure you tested with the same machine (or another in the same lan) to connect to your gameserver. A gameserver in a LAN will always be found in the serverlist, but internet players won't have it in their games list, unless your server shows up in the master server list (actually this is why the master server list exists).

you are wrong.otehr people see it in the game list.but not on the master server list.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »

When you manually tell master server your server ip, it queries the right port (usually, 27960).

If master server answers to your server heartbeat (a packet that your server sends to master to inform master about your server existence), then it replies to the port from which your heartbeat come from.

This is usually a problem while behind a NAT/PAT:
Example:
1) Your server allows incoming packets on port 27960. Clients can connect to it if they know its address, and master server can query it if you specify its address in the URL bar in your browser.
2) Your server sends the heartbeat packet to destination: master server port 27950. But your NAT/PAT makes that packet appearing with a random source port (example: 49821) instead of your real 27960 port.
3) Master server replies to your heartbeat, and after few packets to your 27960 port (or maybe to your 49821 port still open and correctly PATted for a moment, I'm not sure), it points to your port 49821 instead of your 29760 as destination, and that port is closed/not checked by the program. Thus it fails.

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »

ok, and what to do about this?

it points to your port 49821 instead of your 29760 as destination, and that port is closed/not checked by the program. Thus it fails.

but wait i tried disabling my firewall but it still didn't work  Angry
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:15:54 AM by LauraNeko » Logged

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

wanna know what?i guess there is a bug in this shit.
because in oa are many unfixed ones Angry

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »

ok, and what to do about this?

The thing I usually suggest in this case is to check outgoing NAT rules. But if you are using a modem instead of a router, and shut down all of your firewall features... I don't know what to think.

It sounds strange it to be a 0.8.8 bug, I see at least one "0.8.8" server in dpmaster page. Undecided

Maybe you may try some Wireshark packet analysis?

....another thing: are you using IPv4 or IPv6? There is a problem with OpenArena 0.8.x and Master Server: it does not show IPv6 OA servers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:02:59 AM by Gig » Logged

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »

ipv4

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »

wanna know what?i guess there is a bug in this shit.
because in oa are many unfixed ones Angry

Ok listen kid (because you obviously don't have a very high level of maturity), here you are trying to do stuff that are reserved to technical people, people that know what they do and have the technical background required to understand what they do and run those kind of tools. They are not click & play. Playing the game is click & play, but hacking the maps or running a server is not.

You're new to the game and the community, and also you seem to lack the technical background, so stop ashaming and downing the ones that try to help you. As you can see this is an open community, because else you would have been trashed away for just being new and ignorant (and I quite agree that the latter is enough of a crime).

I'm one of the most experienced servers administrator currently in the OA community, I've done a lot of hacking and I think I've got a pretty good knowledge of the engine.

I'm 95% sure that your problem resides in your server NOT replying to the master server heartbeats, at least not consistently. Here's how the mechanism work:

1- when starting your server, your server sends a heartbeat packet to the master server. The master server will then instantly show your server in the listing, but only temporary.
2- The master server sends you either a GetInfo or GetStatus packet. If your server replies with correct data, it's ok, your server stays in the listing. If not, your server disappears from the listing.
3- Now the master server will wait a few seconds/minutes before requerying your server, OR your server will send cyclicly a heartbeat packet to the master server to confirm that its alive (both have their own schedule because the master server can "forget" to requery your server if your server was lagging at the time). Then it cycles between step 1 to 3.

So I guess (and I'm pretty sure of it), that your server is stuck after step 1: your server sends a heartbeat, but then it either doesn't receive the master server packets (they are not forwarded correctly to your server machine), or your server doesn't reply correctly (bad config? I don't think so, you didn't hack the engine).

You can check this easily: start your server, quickly go to the master listing server html page:
http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena

Your server should be in the listing if you were quick enough to load the page. Now refresh every few seconds and check if your server stays in the listing or if it disappears. If it disappears, you are exactly in the case I described.

So again, check your firewall or ADSL box, and most specifically the forwarding capabilities. And stop acting as if you know everything. But if you really know anything, everything here is open, so start contributing by yourself instead of whining.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »

wow stop insulting me.first of all i'm not a kid and second i checked everything but nothing worked.i'm just angry because nothing works and i didn't insult anyone.and if gtkradient would work then i would already have fixed existing bugs in maps and built some maps and if one of both downloads of the in/exporter for models for blender would work then i would already have started editing characters.it's not my fault that things won't work...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: