Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions/comments about Liz....  (Read 7546 times)
TwEeK!
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

First of, let me say THANKS! and GREAT JOB! to everyone involved in getting OA to version 0.8.8! We at MeTaLNET are have been runnning and playing version 0.8.8 almost immediately since it was released, and in general everything looks and works great, and everyone is enjoying it! :-) :-) :-)

Now, about Liz....

While I was downloading the new version so that I could load it on a box and try it out myself for the very first time, I was reading through the description and was overjoyed to see a mention of the Liz animation glitch being fixed - one of my fellow server admins uses that as his regular player model, and I can't tell you how irritating it has always been while playing with him (and anyone else using Liz in-game), watching the constant popping up/down, or "going flat" as I often call it. I'm not into using forcemodel, or any other game tweaks to assist myself in gaining as much advantage as possible while playing - I'm not that kind of player. I LIKE pumping up all the gaudy graphics as much as possible and enjoy all the ambience as part of my escape from reality while I game. But, damn, that Liz model always makes its users annoyingly hard to target....

So, I was so excited to hear it was fixed, LOL, that this is the FIRST thing I immediately wanted to see first-hand. I asked a fellow player in-game to put on his Liz suit so I could experience it immediately. We were the only two on our server, and both the server and ourselves are running version 0.8.alien and everything seemed tasty and good. But wait, WTF? Liz was still popping?!?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO! LOL/sigh....

We noodled around a bit, to see just when Liz flips, and what actions cause it. Seemed to us that, yeah, maybe SOMETHING is a little different than before, but not really noticeably so. Interestingly, though, my cohort in-game discovered what we believe might be a NEW glitch with Liz - every time you switch weapons while using the Liz character, you hear and see TWO very fast weapon switches!

Anyways, just curious - what has or is supposed to have changed between 0.8.5 Liz and that of 0.8.8? And, sorry to dump the piddly new issue into the pot, but figured you'd rather know than not. :-)

None of these are big issues at all, of course - believe me when I say I'm just happy the game is here for us to play and enjoy, and I appreciate that there are people in the world putting out a product like this for free. But, dang, I'll send someone a six-pack of some fine microbrew, or even one of the MeTaLNET T-Shirts that I have promised to make for my server admins, if that damn "going flat" issue truly does get fixed! :-)

-- TwEeK!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »

Are you really sure that you don't have some 0.8.5 pk3 overriding 0.8.8 in that server? This is how it looks in my 0.8.8:

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:47 AM »

As Neon suggests, maybe in that server (or in the client that connects to that server) you may have a problem due to pk3 load order:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4460.0
(If you have 088 patch under your installation folder, and 085 under your settings/autodownload folder, you WILL experience problems.)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
TwEeK!
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »

Thanks for the responses (and for still giving me a little hope left). :-)

I'm absolutely positive on my player/client end that there are no prior OA pieces - I downloaded the 0.8.8 complete repack file and installed it on a factory restored Windows Vista box that I was fixing for a client, and this box had nothing more on it than Windows Vista and all related updates. As for the server (mine, MeTaLNET), I'll have to ask my crew about how they went about bumping us up from 0.8.5 to 0.8.alien but I do know that we're all very familiar with .pk3 load order issues and we are all usually pretty insistent upon doing major upgrades via "clean" methods. But, who know, perhaps there are some file/pathing issues on the server side - we do host a few OA variants, as well as a couple of other games on our server.

If the problem is on our server, then that means I should be able to use this same client box to connect and play to a known "clean" 0.8.8 server and experience the new Liz goodness, correct? Any suggestions on which would be a good server for me to test on in this method?

And, just a side note - any thoughts about the "double-weapon-switch" bit? Anyone else test this yet, or experience it first-hand? Could this also be caused by whatever the root cause of the former issue is? If it is a new issue, it's trivial - I'll be very, VERY happy if I get Liz looking right on my client box (and server, too, if that's the issue)! Thanks for the quick replies, I'll keep ya posted as to my findings....

-- TwEeK!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »

Liz is thin.

Should Liz "evolve" to a Dragon kind of thing in OA3 for appearance reasons?

It would have to be wingless though.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »

Something like Onaga?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:25 AM »

Twek, just a curiosity...
If you play locally, do you correctly see Liz?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: