Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In Development BF3 Operation Metro cover  (Read 19348 times)
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »

Just FYI, I am about half-way finished a cover of the BF3 map Operation Metro (Just the conquest map; not the larger Rush map)

http://bf3blog.com/operation-metro/

I got obsessed and just had to complete it for some reason. Probably about another 2 to 4 weeks before I will post it.
(all textures will be in compliance to oa)
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »

Wow nice! I'm eager to see it!
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »

JoeSox any sneek peak preview screenshots? Smiley
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

JoeSox any sneek peak preview screenshots? Smiley

Sure. Keep in mind I am still designing and haven't tweaked all the lighting and stuff. I have one subway car finished but I am waiting until end to place the rest of them.

Platform:

Ticket Hall:
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »

Looks pretty nice so far! OA definitely needs a break from Industrial/Castle levels, and a City-themed level is a welcome addition.

In the first shot, those lights are floating. Tongue
And I hope you can control VIS, and therefore, performance; there seems to be a lot of stuff being drawn.

I'll wait for your map.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »

In the first shot, those lights are floating. Tongue

Thanks. Well, those are suspended lights but I haven't placed any holders yet.
look in background here

This is the first map I tried to cover something; it is a lot harder than you would think. Lots of detail and scaling issues.
It's not going to be a perfect replica just something close and should be fun to play. It doesn't seem to be any performance issues but I haven't really played any bots yet and the map is incomplete and I haven't even placed weapons or items yet.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »

Great! I LOVE city maps!
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »

Looks _very_ promising!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »

Even though you're doing a BF3 cover, consider the whole subway level trend of 1999-2000 thanks to the popularity of The Matrix. Tongue

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »

What is the matrix?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »

The Matrix is a computer-generated dream world built to keep us under control in order to change a human being into this.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »

Ok, had to take a break and release some more of what I am obsessed with lately.
Here is a walkthru video of the map so far, enjoy...
http://youtu.be/7rGE4JQfEiU
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »

Looking GREAT! Really it's an amazing map you're doing it! But I fear it may be a little too big for the gameplay of OA CTF? Did you think about also making it a double domination map?
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »

Looking GREAT! Really it's an amazing map you're doing it! But I fear it may be a little too big for the gameplay of OA CTF? Did you think about also making it a double domination map?
From testing, the map is big but that is the nature of the map. I think it is still good gameplay and I expect it to improve as I place more weapons and perks. I haven't created a dd before but will certainly look into it. Thanks.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »

DD in a big map could be a bad idea, unless the points aren't too far from each other. You should also consider the spawnplaces for both teams.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »

DD in a big map could be a bad idea, unless the points aren't too far from each other. You should also consider the spawnplaces for both teams.

Good point about dd. Spawning in general, no doubt. Making sure the spawning is fair and good is one of the important things on my list before releasing it.
Right now, I notice that the bots get stuck in some spots. I have to fix that too, as much as I can see when I test gameplay.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »

Looks like a fun map.  My first thought was the time limit on CTF Elimination could be an issue.  I'm not sure if you were planning for that game mode, either.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »

Looks like a fun map.  My first thought was the time limit on CTF Elimination could be an issue.  I'm not sure if you were planning for that game mode, either.
Do you know how I set the default time limits for gametype? I haven't looked into that yet. I know how to add bots and gametypes but not timelimits yet. It was another thing I need to lookup that is on my to-do list.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »

I don't think you can set timelimits from a map, these cvars are managed by the gamecode (and the server's administrator). So since admins can set the timelimits (and even timelimits per map), it should be ok.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »

It can also be set inside of the .arena file, but it would only count for the "/spmap" and "/spdevmap" commands.

JoeSox
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

If you are following this thread, here is your invitation to beta test and any feed back, thanks!

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4502.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: