Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yawspeed  (Read 18921 times)
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:06 PM »

OA disables my Yawspeed functionality which makes it impossible for me to do my 180 turn. Why did you do that? It seems this disablement was targeted at me specifically being that it wasn't disabled before I started using open arena.

Also, that excellent bug is still not fixed, where the guy says excellent for when someone else does an excellent job. What's the point in even upgrading, you made the game worse. The older OA version before 8.5 didn't have that excellent bug and I can do my 180 spin. Why make the game worse?
PaniC
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:24 PM »

Also, that excellent bug is still not fixed, where the guy says excellent for when someone else does an excellent job. What's the point in even upgrading, you made the game worse. The older OA version before 8.5 didn't have that excellent bug

About the excellent bug: at some servers theres a announcement for some frag-counts: at 5, 10, 15, 20 frags in a row there is a message printed to the gameconsole+upper left screen and a excellent sound is played.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:32:53 PM by PaniC » Logged

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »

This is general info on Yaw and related cvars.  It is not meant to address Corvette as I don't know whether the yaw cvars are locked or affected in baseoa under 0.8.8.

Besides the game physics, several cavrs can affect player movement, some of them are:

seta cl_yawspeed "140" //sets the yaw (left and right) rate when +left and/or +right are active
seta cl_pitchspeed "140" //sets the pitch (up and down) rate when +lookup and/or +lookdown are active
seta m_yaw "0.022" //sets the "sensitivity" on the x-axis (left and right)
seta m_pitch "0.022" //sets the "sensitivity" on the y-axis (up and down)
seta m_forward "0.025" //sets the back and forth movement distance of the player in relation to how much the mouse moves
seta m_side "0.025" //sets the strafe movement distance of the player in relation to how much the mouse moves

Generally the settings above or similar are fine but some cvars like the ones below can affect them adversely:

seta sensitivity "x.x" //sets the mouse sensitivity
seta cl_mouseAccel "1" //accelerates your mouse speed over time
seta m_smooth "1" //sets mouse smoothing
seta m_filter "1" //sets mouse interpolation, that is, it adds extra 'frames' in between your mouse movements to smooth it out.  Used in conjunction with m_smooth.
seta in_player_yaw_invert "1" //Inverts the normal yaw, used with game controllers
seta in_player_pitch_invert "1" //Inverts the normal pitch, used with game controllers

If your mouse sens is high, you should probably lower (between .013 and .016, depending on your liking) your m_yaw and m_pitch as it will help to prevent over-spinning.  Do the converse if your mouse sens is very low (<=2).

If your sens is high AND you have a high-end mouse like a Razor Naga or Logitech G Series with the dpi set between 800 and 2000+ you can lower the m_yaw and m_pitch to virtually nothing.  Note, your Operating System will also play a small part in smoother movements.

Personally, I don't like or recommend that you enable cl_mouseAccel or m_smooth or m_filter as they can lead to inconsistent movements especially in Windows with high speed Mods like E+.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:18:35 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Killing_Sprees,_Death_Sprees_and_Multikills

It's not a "real" bug, but maybe in the next OpenArena version, the default "excellent" sound may be replaced with a specific "killing spree" sound...

PS: just created an apposite thread for this topic:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4467.0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:26:03 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:55:39 AM »

Well, for now I'll just downgrade, which will put me at an unfair advantage over those who have the newer version and want to use the functionality but can't (which are few). Perhaps the next OA release can give the server admin the option of choosing whether or not they want yawspeed functionality enabled instead of simply disabling it, with the client automatically enabling it when connected to older servers. It was an enabled feature by default in older versions of OA and there should be no good reason to suddenly disable it without at least a server side restoration option, or make it enabled on the server by default and allow server admins to disable it if they wish. Then everyone can be happy.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »

I don't know a lot about yawspeed. I don't know which gamecode changes may have caused it do work differently than before...

Is someone here capable to reproduce Corvette's 180 spin?

PS: Corvette, were you able to do the 180 spin in 0.8.1 only or also in 0.8.5?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »

If I remember correctly cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed got intentionally cheat protected, or at least Falkland wanted them to be protected.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »

I just tried to change them... the engine does not say those two variables are read-only or cheat-protected, it seems to change their values.

But in 0.8.alien changing cl_yawspeed has no effect, while instead, with 0.8.1 and 0.8.alien it changes the speed you turn left or right if pressing the arrows key (a thing I never do, I always use the mouse to look around!).

So, it seems this is some sort of cheat protection that has been applied in a way that is not optimal. IMHO, a cheat-protected/read only variable should be listed this way by the game, it should not allow to change its value at all (or, as it happens with other variables, it may automatically return to its default value).... allowing to change it, but totally ignoring its value without warning the user, sounds wrong.

I don't know developers will wish to keep this lock or remove it in the future, but maybe some server-side way to choose to allow it or not (dmflags or similar maybe?) may be nice.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:59:47 AM by Gig » Logged

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »

Can someone test if m_yaw and m_pitch still works?

About cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed, this is a good thing I think because noone use these cvars anymore but for scripting, and this is a bad thing (I concur with Falkland).

Anyway, for people playing OA with a joystick or on a handheld device, it may be useful to have these variables, so maybe these vars should be unlocked but just capped with a hardcoded (upper) limit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: