Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcer voice (or some sound) for Killing Spree, Death spree and Multikill?  (Read 52093 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:08 AM »

OA supports Killing Sprees, Death Sprees and Multikills.
(please read (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Killing_Sprees,_Death_Sprees_and_Multikills)

By default, only killing sprees are enabled. Server admins can customize the sound played by each of them, but by default, at the moment (OA 0.8.5-0.8.8), Killing Sprees and Multikills play the "excellent" sound, and Death Spree plays the "humiliation" (gauntlet kill or death) sound.

It looks like some players may get confused hearing the "excellent" voice while they are not killing anyone ("spree" sound is played to all players). So, maybe it would be better to create specific sounds to play in these situations.

I suppose those sounds may be the announcer's voice (who is the OA announcer?), or maybe some other kinds of sounds (e.g. short music).

The most important to change would be the Killing spree sound... while the others may also remain as they are now, IMO (but AFAIK nothing prevents from customizing them, too, if we wish).

What do you suggest?

Who is able of doing that?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:15:13 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:22:27 AM »

i'd suggest sound effects

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »

I guess changing the sound for killing sprees would only need a small code change in OAX.

I think that the main problem here is to get a new sound, because OA does not really have any announcer currently.

I support the idea of applying a different sound, I think that indeed it can be misleading for unused players.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »

IIRC, there is no need to do any change in gamecode (OAX) source code, we just need to place an updated "sprees.dat" text file inside the .pk3 of the next OA patch/release, to use different sounds. Smiley

Of course, we need the new sounds first!   Grin

PS: This does not mean that Sprees system is perfect yet. As I metioned here and the following posts, there are some little things that may be corrected, but for those, some gamecode editing is really needed.
If one customizes the killing sprees messages, he can set "printpos = 1" to have them shown centered, instead of in the console. But in this case only the other players will see the message, not the player that gets the killing spree (maybe the "you fragged xxxxx" message "covers" it). More, the font used with "printpos = 1" is big, and allows about 40-43 characters max... that are not much: for example, a "Player is on a killing spree!!! ( 5 kills!!! )" message is 47 characters long and would end out of the screen!
But about that part, this is not the right thread.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:54:15 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Homme_de_noiR
Nub

Cakes -13

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »

i would do them, if first blood is also added, i miss it and act psychotic when i get the first blood, as someone who is less pwnsome, it would mean a lot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: