Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Sketches  (Read 48912 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:21 AM »

Yeah

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 04:42:30 AM »

Awesome !!

Grin Grin

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »

I know you all like the Tetris Kossack, but I wouldn't model it, because, well,  Tetris is a registered (and very actively protected) trademark of The Tetris Company

I honestly (and naively) thinked that "Tetris" was public domain.
But It's not really a problem (maybe I'm naive again), because you can just call him "Kossack" or "Tetrakossack" or something like that.

Now about blocks textures of the hat: they are called "tetrominos" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetromino). I don't think they are copyrighted,  maybe only if you associate the same colors of Tetris's tetrominos.
Still you can use pentominos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentomino).

The real problem is that I've put "Tetris" Kossack on my Deviantart page, releasing him under public domain  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:29:39 PM by Dancar » Logged
Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »

Yeah

mmm... what about adding flickering lights (like a Christmas tree) on top of "antennas/needles"?

I had this idea after I've made the sketch.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »

I like the needles as they are. Adding little lights would make his head look like a christmas tree

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »

Maybe an electric spark may run through them by now and then...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

Only 1 this time.

I've made a classic sarge with pro/sport/bright/whatever skin.
Hope you like.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »

Only 1 this time.

I've made a classic sarge with pro/sport/bright/whatever skin.
Hope you like.

Very very well. I like it !!
 Grin

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Wow, good stuff Dancer!  Next you need to learn Blender to bring your characters to life!  It's ailve, IT'S ALIVE!  Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

It's all cool and well, but since this is already in Idea Pit, well... remember that OA is steering away from the common and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overused "grimdarkbrownseriousandgrittywhereeveryoneisabadass" stereotype found in FPS.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »

@ all
Thanks

remember that OA is steering away from the common and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overused "grimdarkbrownseriousandgrittywhereeveryoneisabadass" stereotype found in FPS.

Ok,
but whatever style you are going to use for OA, I think you should mantain at least one classic sci-fi_sport_helmet_badass soldier for the following reasons:

1) You will always use classic sci-fi FPS weapons.
2) It's a link and tribute to the origins.
3) Some people force models for visibility and a good "sport skin" should be welcome.
4) Others force models for stylistic reasons: they prefer gunfights against and with sci-fi soldiers (expecially during teams based games).
5) This version of sarge is half sci-fi_soldier and half sci-fi_athlete, I think He will fit whatever style/map/game you are going to do.
6) I think it's the best sketch I'v done so far Tongue
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »

2) It's a link and tribute to the origins.
This is one of the reasons he will be redesigned for future versions such as DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3]OA3, so he looks less Doomguy-like. Right now, we're on the "no ripoff/knockoff" side.

3) Some people force models for visibility and a good "sport skin" should be welcome.
That's a problem with visibility on maps, something we're trying to address and hopefully fix on future versions.

4) Others force models for stylistic reasons: they prefer gunfights against and with sci-fi soldiers (expecially during teams based games).
They have many other games to do this. I don't get why every FPS should have the same thematic.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

That's a problem with visibility on maps, something we're trying to address and hopefully fix on future versions.

I only know that all this kind of games have official or UNofficial flamboyant skins for visibility.

They have many other games to do this. I don't get why every FPS should have the same thematic.

So, OA gameplay must keep classic, but not a single OA model must look classic.
Well, I disagree but it's just my opinion.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »

For classic gameplay + classic looks, there's already Q3A itself. No need to be redundant.

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »

I read that, with just 1 modeler left, It's hard to see new model for the project (no kickstarter?)

Anyway, I've made a colored version for my Tetromino Kossack, just for fun.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:58:40 AM by Dancar » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »

more accurately, there's one player modeler left, and two new weapon model contributors (that modeled off my rough weapon concepts, and I feel really bad because i'm a major procrastinator Sad).

I have been drawing plenty of stuff lately, you might want to check the OA3 forum.

also i've been hacking up the engine with some important things OA needed for a long long time. Code progress
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:47:42 PM by fromhell » Logged

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »

Sarge/pro with colors.
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »

also i've been hacking up the engine with some important things OA needed for a long long time. Code progress

I'm in the middle of moving and don't have a lot of time...is the code base buildable?  I'd be happy to test and help debug if it is...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »

It's buildable.  Might need libxmp though, since that's a very recent library.

The only real help I need with the engine is the integration with Q3MME's scriptable fx system (particles) in the client.  They're not compilable as-is right now.

Also there's a bit of memory leak I can't seem to figure out for playing back mod files with the xmp support.  It doesn't seem to unload them when they're done even though it's in the code :/

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 05:56:32 AM »

1) Finally the final post about sarge/pro.

I've made a colored version of sarge/pro because I was curious to see him with colors, and I thinked the
case was closed.

But I saw a bike helmet, and then I decided the last modification. He is not so bad: more sport less quakey. I've made a simple collage for it.

2-3) Some weapons concepts, design is minimal and proportions are not mandatory.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »

I think your Sarge/pro + those weapons would be great in a new game of their own.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 06:34:35 AM »

indeed, these are far too 90 degree-angled to suit the current OA3 project.

DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »

These sketches are pretty damn good. But instead of them being new mock ups of existing models, they could and should go on and be there own. An expansion of characters for the game would be nice. I can't express how cool they look from my first view of them. I'm sure these would be considered, and would be in favor of there own models.

Maybe a few polls on this would be good?

1) Who likes the sketches?

2) Should they be considered expansion characters?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 01:33:48 AM »

I wonder if there are any news about the model of this post from Fromhell (cyborg mummy?)...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »

That has to be remodeled as it's a bit low poly below my new target (2000 tri)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: