- Should enlarge the doors, like 2x the size (I think that a good door is a door where you can jump through, remember that players often jump in this game, particularly good players using strafe jumping tricks)
Some doorways are a bit small (I even enlarged them). Remember, this is a "cover" map so I am trying to stick as much as possible to BF3 map but also put in the good OA stuff. I had a kamikaze request so I put that in there.
- Particularly love the fire damage in the metro station, you should add more traps like that (is a running and crushing train possible?)
In the BF3 map, there is more fire on the right side of the subway cars. I'll try and add those in.
- Add a lot more weapons/powerups/items, there are a lot of very sparse areas. Eg: no weapons nor items at all in the big exterior area, while this should be the main groundfight! It would be amazing for gunfights!
It is mainly like that right now because of me trying to keep it balanced and fair. I thought of placing a bfg in the courtyard but that could possibly give Red team an advantage unless I placed another bfg on the other side of the map. You bring up a good point that a ffa game would need lots more weapons in different spots, so I will put that on my list of things to do, make ffa weapons only.
- The building interior is rather empty and ugly. Maybe making a roof of glass would be better visually? And you could add some platforms and jumpers, this would be pretty cool I think
That would be cool. didn't think about jumpers in there. The inside of there was not a priority as other things on the map needed work. I do need to fix it up in there as both teams spawn at the same time in it.
- Adding some movers: making the cars move and train running at full speed once in a while (then go back in a tunnel and comes back later) crushing everything on the way would be a lot of fun and add a lot of dynamism to the map.
Cool idea, but the BF3 has no movers, just some of the ads rotate.
- Adding jump pads: as with movers, this would "dynamicalize" the map a lot. I know jump pads are not really realists, but it's a big part of the OpenArena gameplay. And you can set them as you want: for example it could be a big umbrella, or anything you want, or even make the jumppad push horizontally instead of vertically.
Hmm, I could place jump pads near Cafe to get people up from the street level, instead of using the ramps. Then again I need to keep things fair in racing to the middle flag in domination. Tricky, but I will think about it.
Anyway, even if I like very much this map, I must objectively face the fact that it is not very adapted to the gameplay of OpenArena since games consists of max 14 players usually (but the engine supports up to 64!), so it will end up being seemingly quite empty when played.
Yeah, it was an experiment for me to do a cover and I was curious to see what the gameplay would actually be in OA. Operation Metro is a cool map to begin with and there are some spots where you can get some long distant shooting in.
I thought long and hard where to place the Double Domination flags and after a few games, it is fun to try and lock-down those two rooms. I have been testing with 12 players total.
Anyway it's very promising, currently there's no such map for OA. What licence will you use for your map? Same as OA, GPL 2+?
It's a cover, a parody, and I have been designing it with GPL 2+ in mind. Thanks for the feedback, good stuff.