Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mature content control  (Read 12410 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: March 30, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

To work around the "mature pak" method and make the control engineside for more versatility across mods and servers i'd have to rethink the system for oa3

- A shader comment keyword that gets parsed if r_mature is 0 (//NONMATURE), for replacing skins/textures for content (such as turning blood into blue or giving someone a bra)
- Before looking for LOD meshes, look for a mesh with a _n prefix first if r_mature is 0 (such as turning gibs into candy and giving someone a solid skirt)
- Do the same for sounds (such as skelebot's 'kiss my ass', the only objective sound effect in. Also this could bring back the use of 'holy shit' as an option). s_mature would be the cvar here

I could probably code all this and make it a patch.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »

I suggest to divide the commands about removing gore from those about removing nudity.

I have no problems playing a game with the gore level of Q3... but I have problems playing a game with naked girls...

... but about the "bloody" part, weren't there already some variables to limit the violence? I did not try them, but I'm quite sure in the wiki (probably in "manual" and "faq") they are mentioned...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »

Even if the gibs are invisible, they still make splatter noises. However the existing gib control seems cgame based, and my renderer-based approach could do stuff about blood-stained floor textures Tongue

also doing things engine-side could lead to more acceptance of some touchy distros having it in their repository since they could compile with r_mature permalatched to 0 and still have online compatibility.

I also have problems playing a game with naked girls.  It's not that of the nudity but that would affect the tone of the game overall usually turning things into a shameless smutfest atmospherically, losing the point of...*cough*gameplay*cough*.    However I don't consider OA to be one of those voyeuristic games of concern, it's more along the lines of a fighting game such as Power Instinct, and of course Darkstalkers
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:26:39 PM by fromhell » Logged

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

I find your post on nudity rather ironic, looking at your avatar... Tongue

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »

Revisited this feature proposal and implemented.......

r_suggestiveThemes (default 1)

What it really does is just looks for a _safe prefixed model if available and loads that instead, if it finds one.  This _safe version is manually crafted to have less edgesplitting, uvmaps that cover up more, and the breast bones unweighted (no bouncing), leading to a less provocative appearance.  However this has more of a chance to mess up skins and introduce seams.  Because of that I don't really recommend setting it to 0.  I know some players here may raise an issue about the new character designs so I have made a optional choice for a less 'offensive' verison without much pak bloat added, and without the need for having separate 'mature' paks.

Skins are not altered at all, as this is only applying to mesh loading only.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:26:39 PM by fromhell » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »

The mesh on the second picture seems to have just a bit too much cleavage to think there should also be some nipples somewhere.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 01:01:28 AM »

r_suggestiveThemes (default 1)
Wow, cool!  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »

The mesh on the second picture seems to have just a bit too much cleavage to think there should also be some nipples somewhere.

I agree Tongue

Maybe some little more cover for those boobs make the difference.
(i mean very little Tongue  Tongue )

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »

Ehm... does anyone read that it's the purpose of r_suggestiveThemes 0 to hide such stuff?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »

Ehm... does anyone read that it's the purpose of r_suggestiveThemes 0 to hide such stuff?

Tongue Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »

(Note: this part has no relationship with r_suggestivethemes variable)
About that, Fromhell's idea is explained in this animated gif:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4409.msg44392#msg44392

About the new feature itself, it seems great... although I haven't completely understood its behavior: if there is the need that the model creator does create a "dressed up and not bouncing model", cannot he also create a custom "_safe" skin to perfectly fit it? Or maybe the "_safe" version isn't a complete model, but just a tweak of some parameters or something similar? Sorry, I'm extremely noob with models...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »

The skin texture is identical, as I do not want to duplicate textures.  No new .skin files.

Also I took that screenshot at a slightly bad angle.  Here's a more fair picture
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:12:02 AM by fromhell » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: