Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UCLA California - USA West Coast Server  (Read 11020 times)
hemite
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: April 23, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

** I apologize if server promoting in this forum is frowned upon. Please let me know.  **

Hello!

First I would like to say thank you to the openarena community for making my first couple months here so much fun. I've met lots of helpful people both in game, on IRC, the wiki, and on the forums.

I've recently gotten hold of a nice (read: old) computer that I've put to use as a headless server. I thought it would be best to migrate the openarena server I've been running on my laptop, permanentley to this new server. I've been trying to justify keeping it on and I figured some promotion couldn't hurt. so...

Currentley the server cycles around 8 maps all ranging from 2-6 players. I have room for up to 8 people but that could easily increase if there is a demand. I could possibly set a map cycle for players # ranging from 0-8 and a different map cycle for 8+

None of the maps are vanilla OA maps, so if that's wat you want stay away. However, some of theme are old q3 maps, some cpm maps, and some random ones I've found online. They are great if there are around 4 people, and get ridiculously fun if there are more.

Sometimes I don't see quite that many West Coast based servers so I just wanted to add one more to the pile. I feel as though I should contribute given my high (read: really high) download and upload speeds. sample:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1902544766.png

Anyway, if you guys want please join, and give me some tips if you see something that needs improvement in the server.
The server is

UCLA California

http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=eserver.sytes.net:27961

and I hope to see you guys there.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »

You might want to use MB/s or mbit/s.
hemite
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »

What do you mean? I didn't create that image that is a sharable output from speedtest.net.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »

Congrats for the bandwidth!!! O_O

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »

What do you mean? I didn't create that image that is a sharable output from speedtest.net.
You can change the settings, the default is even mbps (here at least). These KB/s are quite high and even go outside the box Tongue
At first glance I thought this was from a huge ISP or so, then I saw it was KB/s.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »

Excuse me, where do you read KB/s in his screenshot?
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1902544766.png

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »

Alright, kB then. Even slower Tongue

Edit: Oh! Could it be my speedtest.net setting?
*Changes it*
AHA!
I changed my setting to MB/s, now it shows as MB/s. Didn't think they'd dynamically generate those pngs.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

Kudos Hermite.  It must be nice to get free services from school, take full advantage of it bro.   Smiley

btw, a few of the younger guys in WASP still attending college say they usually have great bandwidth and lower latency than they could possibly get from home but they also note that during peak hours when everyone in on WoW or one of the CoDs that it can slow down at times.  Do you have similar issues?

Our Clan has had a decent dedicated system since February but there are times when there is a DDoS attack on the same range as us that we get throttled back noticeably.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1920030992.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, kB then. Even slower Tongue

Edit: Oh! Could it be my speedtest.net setting?
*Changes it*
AHA!
I changed my setting to MB/s, now it shows as MB/s. Didn't think they'd dynamically generate those pngs.

Beware of cookies, they are very useful but they can mess you up also.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
hemite
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »

Do you have similar issues?

Well naturally during peak hours its not as fast as Friday Nights at 3 AM. But it never dips below 100 Mb/s. And usually we get 200-300 down and up. I'm sure that's how it is at most universities.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: