Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: this is probably why Q3TA dropped the portal item  (Read 17121 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:11 AM »

because of this

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:28:15 AM »

It looked quite nice, until that bug of people getting stuck there started. Who knows... maybe if one may be able to fix that...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

That's pretty weird.

P.S. just saw similar behavior in a map with a normal teleporter which was missing the target entity, though I wasn't stuck.  That suggests the code cannot handle failed teleports gracefully. and
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:49:41 AM by andrewj » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

that's not similar behavior, that's just the flash being spammed in your face. You're not going anywhere without a target.

Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

That's pretty fun to see ^^
             ±END¤CONNEXION±

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »

Nice finding.

Surely this could be fixed, but first one has to find why it happens! But this would be a pretty cool gameplay item though.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

http://aim-plus.com/c+/?go=archive&id=85

http://www.excessiveplus.net/FORUMS/THREAD/E-PORTAL-SERVER

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

Man, you've made my day! Great that someone implemented the Portal gun for Q3 at last!

Too bad it requires a modified Q3 binary (so no chance to see it working on OA, and surely enough no autodownload!) and the sources are closed.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

Man, you've made my day! Great that someone implemented the Portal gun for Q3 at last!

Too bad it requires a modified Q3 binary (so no chance to see it working on OA, and surely enough no autodownload!) and the sources are closed.

You're welcome.  And your post at the Q3 E+ Forum - http://www.excessiveplus.net/forums/thread/e-portal-server?page=4#comment-396800 - resulted in getting LecTorgc* to setup an OpenArena Portal Server: http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=37.144.105.17:27975

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Too bad it requires a modified Q3 binary (so no chance to see it working on OA, and surely enough no autodownload!)...

GB, can you explain what you mean?  I used the latest standard OA E+ 2.2b client to connect to his OA E+ 2.1 server and it auto-downloaded the map for me.  It wasn't via an ftp/http redirect so it was a slow 11kbs download but at least there is only one map on the server and it's just 3.64MB.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:26:18 PM by WaspKiller » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

GB, can you explain what you mean? 
I think he's referring to what is written in the "Clientside" section here:
http://www.excessiveplus.net/FORUMS/THREAD/E-PORTAL-SERVER
Clientside:
http://speedy.sh/fB2uP/quake3p-cl.rar
To get portals with images you should use modified executable. Download quake3p_cl.rar, extrect to your q3 folder and launch xp_portal_multiplayer.bat. Then connect to portal server as usual.

Some tips:

/r_fastsky 0 , /r_noportals 0 , /r_vertexlight 0 (thx Ali) to make portals renderable
    /r_picmip 0 , /r_gamma 1 - it looks better Big grin
    bind MOUSE1 "weapon 8; wait 10; +attack; -attack"
    bind MOUSE2 "weapon 9; wait 10; +attack; -attack"
    r_numportals 3..9 (default 6) - number of portals to be rendered. If you have fps drops, then decrease this value.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

Ok Gig.  Honestly, I didn't miss the extra eye candy.  Anyway, GrosBedo will be happy to know that the dev said to me via a private msg "...Well, server side was easily converted for openarena. For client this is harder to do, but you already can play with default game. I'm open for contact with OA devs."

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

Just a curiosity (trivia)... did he use (and fixed) the TA stuff, or did everything from scratch?

PS: A complete Q3/OA "portal" mod may be interesting... Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »

I don't think a portal gun is related to this scrapped "porter" item.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

I don't think a portal gun is related to this scrapped "porter" item.

Sorry, this indeed slips a bit off topic, but functionnally speaking it's about the same, except that it's presented as a gun instead of an item.

Ok Gig.  Honestly, I didn't miss the extra eye candy.  Anyway, GrosBedo will be happy to know that the dev said to me via a private msg "...Well, server side was easily converted for openarena. For client this is harder to do, but you already can play with default game. I'm open for contact with OA devs."

Ah yes indeed, but I thought they were needed to make it work. However it's not only eye-candy, the mirrors effects can also serve strategy purposes (particularly in a multiplayer setting!).

I'm not an OA dev, but I know a bit about the engine, maybe I can help for this task? (but what does he plan to do exactly? Port the engine modifications from q3a to openarena?)
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »

Just a curiosity (trivia)... did he use (and fixed) the TA stuff, or did everything from scratch?

PS: A complete Q3/OA "portal" mod may be interesting... Smiley

Gig, I don't know.  My main discussion with him was in regards to servers.  I am not a programmer so I am less interested in the how and why than the administration.  However, I think it would do better as a game type in OA or a Mod like E+ (since it is already based on an older version of E+) than as a stand-alone Mod.

...I'm not an OA dev, but I know a bit about the engine, maybe I can help for this task? (but what does he plan to do exactly? Port the engine modifications from q3a to openarena?)

GB, I don't know and he doesn't have a listed e-mail for direct contact.  However, like me, you have account at http://excessiveplus.net so ask him via PM or post.  He seemed very candid and receptive to suggestions and new working relationships.  Honestly, I doubt the E+ Devs will integrate his work into the next version.  So, it may be mutually beneficial for him and OA to explore something...  I can only see this as something positive and newsworthy for OA.

The opportunity is there, the will... IDK.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »

However, I think it would do better as a game type in OA or a Mod like E+ (since it is already based on an older version of E+) than as a stand-alone Mod.

Hence why I asked if he could turn his mod opensource, I think it would be great to add it as a new optional weapon which could be used with standard OA gamemodes.

However I don't think it will ever be implemented into the vanilla OA codebase, but we can make a standalone mod derivated from the OA gamecode, which would effectively produce a full OA implementation + portal gun. If you add the possibility to make a clean patch, this could be ported to any future OA version.

I will talk with him about this idea in a few weeks, since I have to finish some urgent stuffs.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »

However, I think it would do better as a game type in OA or a Mod like E+ (since it is already based on an older version of E+) than as a stand-alone Mod.

Hence why I asked if he could turn his mod opensource, I think it would be great to add it as a new optional weapon which could be used with standard OA gamemodes.

However I don't think it will ever be implemented into the vanilla OA codebase, but we can make a standalone mod derivated from the OA gamecode, which would effectively produce a full OA implementation + portal gun. If you add the possibility to make a clean patch, this could be ported to any future OA version...

Interesting, using it simply as a weapon in OA instead of a full game type.  However, I agree with you regarding it ever being implemented into the vanilla OA codebase.  Yet, there is a crossroad that OA will come to, on whether to continue being regarded as a mere clone of Quake III or become Quake III - The Next Generation (and I don't merely mean Next Gen by the ioq3 underpinnings).

For instance, I know FromHell seems obsessed with reducing the size** of the game but IMO there is little reason for that limitation, and certainly great benefit to the game and new players to include those Mods (like AfterShock, not E+) which are OpenSource and vetted for any IP infringement in the official OA download.  They simply have to be addons.  They never need to become part of the vanilla OA codebase but the pairing would be an obligate symbiosis***.  Something id never did.

**Personally I don't know why considering the immense increase of commercial games (Max Payne 3 = 35GB hard drive space).   The few addons to OA would increase the OA download by 10 to 20 percent.

***Meaning that both symbionts entirely depend on each other for survival.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

Well, what is cool about OpenSource is that anyone can do anything. I quite understand that the author has its own roadmap, and it doesn't prevent anyone else to extend it to their liking, and that's very fine.

I like your idea of addons, but there are so many mods that already extends OA, that I don't think it would be really useful to tell apart opensource one and closed source ones. [also AfterShock doesn't share at the moment their main component: the webscripts that simulates a QuakeLive community framework, and this lessen a lot the usefulness of the mod]

However, what has hampered mods (such as AfterShock) to be about as official as the OA vanilla gamecode is that it's quite hard to keep up-to-date with the code changes. But that may change soon if OA is moved into a more transparent sources management system such as Git.

And I still hope to convince E+ devs to make their mod opensource Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: