Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sound files - OpenArena - Quake  (Read 27428 times)
nba.richforever
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »

does anyone how the .wav or mp3 files of all of the sounds from these two games?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »

Why?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »

does anyone how the .wav or mp3 files of all of the sounds from these two games?
I don't understand the question... maybe a verb is missing?

Do you wanna know how they were made? Or simply if someone has got a copy them (in that case, just search inside pk3 files, they are simply zip files with a different exension)? Or a list with all their filenames? Or what else?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
nba.richforever
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »

my mistake im sorry

i was asking for the sound files from the games quake 3 and openarena

like humiliation and holy crap

does anyone have them?

or know how to get them?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

That's not legal

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
nba.richforever
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

it is so legal....
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »

it is so legal....

No, it's illegal. Quake 3 sound files are copyrighted by "id Software". The games source code is open source, but not the game data. Just because a lot of people on the internet use the sound files without regard does not make it legal (a popular example would be the Warcraft III mod DoTA, a lot of Counter Strike 1.6 mods). Luckily, id Software does not get all pissy about it and sue people around the internet like some other companies.

As for the OpenArena sound files, you can find them in one of the pk3 files (just open them with any zip handling archive program like 7-zip). Specifically, pak6-misc.pk3, in the sound/feedback/ directory. Just remember, that OA sound files are licensed under GPL version 2.

In defeat we learn.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »

Uhm... DotA uses UT sounds. Tongue

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
nba.richforever
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

OpenArena sound files HAVE TO BE LEGAL
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »

OpenArena sound files HAVE TO BE LEGAL

you didn't even read all the posts before replying.  Rest In PEACE!

should be illegal, to be rude like that...

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »

Uhm... DotA uses UT sounds. Tongue

I don't play it, my roommates do, I thought there were some Quake sounds like humiliation in it, but I did not pay attention really. But yeah, a lot of the stuff is from UT Cheesy Quake is not the only game it's "legal" to rip sounds from. UT is a lot more popular for these things (double kill, triple kill, ...).

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »

For OpenArena sounds: you may open .pk3 files you find in "baseoa" folder with a program like 7-zip (.pk3 are just .zip files with a different extension) and extract the files you wish. You can republish and reuse them, but you have to follow the GPLv2 license (see COPYING file, that must be included). You should be able to find them on the "svn" repository, where there should also be their "source" files, if existing.

For q3 sound files, instead, you may buy the game, or download Q3 DEMO... then search inside the pk3. But in this case, be aware that you will do that at your own risk, because, AFAIK, you are not legally allowed to redistribute such files and to use them inside other works.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: