Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 305784 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »

If you add UPnP support, I may do some test with my router and let you know.

About console, it works from your input tex field, but it shows the last few lines only... /~ brings down the whole console, but it seems to act a bit weird...

PS: as Android OA features continue to go different than main game, you may wish to make a page in our wiki with more infos for users. :-)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »

The hardware keyboard text input for console worked some time ago, but it's possibly broken, as I did not test it for a very long time. I'm primarily testing only with touchscreen. I'll check it in the next version, if I'll have time.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »

I'm not talking about hardware keyboard. I changed phone more than a year ago, and no physical qwerty phones were around anymore. And I haven't bought a Bluetooth keyboard. Activity on this forum is less than a few years ago, so I don't type on phone as much as in the past (although I'm doing that in these days to talk with you).

Another thing: what do you think about the brightness slider thing I mentioned here http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4577.msg53724#msg53724 ?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:26:26 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2016, 06:21:19 AM »

For me, that 'Apply' button is evil - no other dialog has it, and Android apps generally do not have such thing, all settings are applied instantly. So I guess I'll simply do vid_restart when you change brightness and close this dialog, and then I'll also do the same for video settings dialog.

I don't quite understand about console. How are you invoking it, and what exactly does not work? Could you please describe step-by-step?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »

For me, that 'Apply' button is evil - no other dialog has it, and Android apps generally do not have such thing, all settings are applied instantly. So I guess I'll simply do vid_restart when you change brightness and close this dialog, and then I'll also do the same for video settings dialog.
Okay.

However, talking in general[1], the inability of "undoing" settings changes if you immediately find out you made some mistake (due to removal of "apply/ok" and "cancel" buttons) is one of the things I don't like of "modern" user interfaces of programs. Also Firefox, which in the last years "follows" Chrome too much IMHO, has went on that side. It's something I really don't understand... maybe they have cell phone interface in mind even on PCs... But I would prefer to have a way to do not "commit" a mistake at the cost of just one more click each time. Sorry for the rant.

I don't quite understand about console. How are you invoking it, and what exactly does not work? Could you please describe step-by-step?
I'll try with some screenshots. Yesterday I tried, but I was in the car parked under the sun, and that would have taken too much...  Rest In PEACE! Also, I have to resize screenshots... they are 2 MB each..

[1]Not focusing on the current case of Q3 UI, although that's a bit strange maybe for a 1999 game. Q3 UI thas thing strange thing of "apply" in graphics settings change, but not in the other pages. I can guess it's due to that screen being the one which needs a vid_restart when you change something. However, from an user's PoV, that's strange that one menu works differently than the other similar ones.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:22:29 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2016, 07:22:53 AM »

In 1999 changing video mode or enabling some OpenGL feature could turn off your CRT monitor or crash your Windows 95, that's why you have this 'accept' button. And switching from window mode to fullscreen is also a big hassle even today, when the game jumps at you and takes away your system taskbar, so it also looks better with confirmation.  Today it's much less important, especially on a phone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »

Not focusing on the current case of Q3 UI, although that's a bit strange maybe for a 1999 game.
I meant that Windows programs, back then, usually had "apply/ok" and "cancel" in any settings window. Of course, that may not necessarily apply to games, too.  Wink

However, let's see the console thing. As told, the main goal was just to "see" some more lines of console output (and that's possible), however, once one's there, one may wish to type commands there (although not a major issue).

I'm playing in a map...
(Screenshot 1)
... then I use upper-left yellow sdl button to enter commands... and I type "/~", confirm ("Successivo" is "Next" in Italian).
(Screenshot 2)
So, the game shows the console. All SDL yellow buttons become hidden.
(Screenshot 3)
Although it is hidden at this time, the upper left sdl button still works, to I touch it and can start typing again.
(Screenshot 4)

... continues in next post (max 4 attachments per post here).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:03:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »

Continues from previous post.

So, I type a command and press "Successivo" (Next) again.
The text I typed is passed to the console, but it's not "confirmed" by a "return". So it stays there, useless.
(Screenshot 5 and close-up)

Note1: Theoretically, I may change my cl_consoleHeight cvar to see even more text. But for some reason it doesn't seem to have effect here.
Note2: If I type "/~" from main menu, the console is opened and closed immediately.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:03:22 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2016, 01:25:47 AM »

I finally found out how to see Google Play comments in other languages: by adding "hl=contrycode" parameter at the end of the URL in the browser.
A few examples:
Google Play in Italian: https://play.google.com/store?hl=it
Google Play in Spanish: https://play.google.com/store?hl=es
Google Play OpenArena page in English: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ws.openarena.sdl&hl=en
Google Play OpenArena page in French: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ws.openarena.sdl&hl=fr

So, I read that someone is complaining about the lack of the ability of swapping axis on touchscreen. Going to the aim settings menu, it looks like there is some axis swapping option for gamepad and for gyroscope, but not for touchscreen control. I do not need it, but it looks like someone is used to inverted Y axis and asks for it.

[UPDATE] Also, I see someone would like a way to disable the jumping by double tapping the joystick feature.

[OT]
Reading Italian comments, I see a guy asked you to port Freedoom, too (it looks like there is no Android port for it yet). In case one day you wish to try a such thing, I may provide some feedback by using one of the "other projects/not openarena" sections of these forums (e.g. http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?board=55.0[1] http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?board=74.0 or http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?board=38.0), if Fromhell does not have anything against that.

[1] That section was used for other free FPS games Fromhell was somehow involved I think, until she changed its name to "Pointless" due to being upset by someone of those other projects she was following. I don't know which games were part of those projects... maybe FreeDoom, too?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:42:20 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »

I've added an option for inverted vertical axis controls (just renamed the same gamepad option, and made it work for touchscreen).

I'll add more options for joystick taps, including the possibility for disabling it. I'll also remove 'tap to aim' modes, they are poorly implemented, and instead add 'tap to aim' option to the normal aiming mode.

I will not start other project, I have enough trouble with my existing ports. Maybe I'll port SDL-Ball, because it will take just one day to port.

Gig, do you have a Google account?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

I've added an option for inverted vertical axis controls (just renamed the same gamepad option, and made it work for touchscreen).
Man, you work extremely fast!

I'll also remove 'tap to aim' modes, they are poorly implemented, and instead add 'tap to aim' option to the normal aiming mode.
Not sure what you mean, we will see the result. :-) I usually use "tap to shoot" mode. I have just made a quick test (no bots) with "aim under finger", and while it seems working enough when you have to use it to quickly aim at something at your right, maybe it is not optimal when you have to use it to aim at something at your left, because you cover a lot of the screen with your right hand.

I will not start other project, I have enough trouble with my existing ports.
Oh. Okay, I understand. Let me know in case if you change your mind in future.
Maybe I'll port SDL-Ball, because it will take just one day to port.
I didn't know it... just found some screenshots, it looks like it's Breakout/Arkanoid! Nice!

Gig, do you have a Google account?
Associated with my "Gig" nickname, not... Why?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:02:01 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »

Actually, I've made this change yesterday, after reading user reviews.

I wanted to give you access to Play Store dev account, where you can read reviews in all languages, and check install statistics.

The decision to stop porting random crap to Play Store was not an easy one for me. But it's better to have a few games that work fine, than a heap of games with terrible controls and bad ratings. Plus, not every game is actually worth porting, there are heaps of Breakout clones on Play Store, SDL-Ball won't be anything unique, and being open-source does not matter for a regular user.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »

Oh, thank you... however I'm not planning to open another user account at the moment. Maybe in future.
However for me taking a look to italian and english comments by now and then is enough at the moment. Also, you may find it annoying, having me repeating things said by others (and which you read by yourself) if I do it too often.

About other games, maybe you are right saying that there are already many Arkanoid clones on Play Store. Having to choose only few projects, one may select something "new" to the Store.
Although a port of a nice game being done in one day may sound appealing... if the game is nice and pops out often in searches, it may contribute making more people know about you and your other ports, at the expense of a single day of work...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 03:13:03 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2016, 02:26:13 AM »

Speaking of something else...

I don't know if I will continue to use gyroscope aiming on... it's cool, but if I change my own position (e.g. I was seated and then stand up), the game ends up with an inclined (rolled) view which is then not easy to return to normal. I usually play in firstperson mode.

I noticed that the portal effect in oa_dm3 does not work well.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »

What can you propose for gyroscope aiming? A centerview button? Or maybe shake the phone a bit, to center your aim?

There are random graphical bugs, in some levels the sky can disappear, but I thought it's just my phone acting up. Could you please do a screenshot?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »

About how to re-center view after you moved too much with gyroscope... Not sure... you already use shaking phone for starting voice talk, isn't it? A button may be okay, but you would need to show it only if you have gyroscope aiming active, otherwise people would wonder what's that button for... although if one is decides to add one more button, it may be more useful for walking (to avoid falling down from platforms) than for resetting gyroscope roll? Maybe the same action may do both things? Or maybe gyroscope roll may return normal just after a few seconds you don't use it to roll your view? I really don't know....

About glitch, you can see screenshots from oa_dm3 (screen 1 shows you have to enter that small opening, screenshot 2 shows the actual portal and the glitch). I also see the glitch happens in oa_dm5, too... where it is more easy to find the portal.

Screen 3 instead is from oacmpdm10, where I noticed a sharp effect where the external wall (a curve) touches that solid brush structure, although I have geometric detail "high". Is it due to some tweaking which you did to make curves render faster on phones, maybe? There are some cases where performance may be better than perfection, that's just to know.

Another thing: while playing locally, I tried to change map by calling a vote for it. It allowed me to select the map, but after I confirmed, it replied "Map is not available". It looks like it works if I "/callvote map" from console, instead. Any clue?
Update: it does the same playing on your servers.

A question: do you think having OpenArena in foreground should prevent the phone from going in standby mode/turning off screen, maybe?

UPDATE: I added a fourth screenshot showing that marks on walls do not blend perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:53:46 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2016, 03:27:50 AM »

Another thing: while playing locally, I tried to change map by calling a vote for it. It allowed me to select the map, but after I confirmed, it replied "Map is not available". It looks like it works if I "/callvote map" from console, instead. Any clue?
Update: it does the same playing on your servers.

It looks like it affects also other kinds of voting...

Nextmap -> Invalid vote string
Restart match -> Invalid vote string
Shuffle teams -> Invalid vote string
Map -> Map is not available
Gametype -> Gametype is not available
Kick -> Working
Disable/enable warmup -> Working
Fraglimit -> Working
Timelimit -> Working
Cutom vote: Not tested

Vote yes/vote no: working.

Side note: the line which informs players whether to vote yes or no gets the console output over, making it hard to read until console text times out.

A question: do you think having OpenArena in foreground should prevent the phone from going in standby mode/turning off screen, maybe?
Maybe in case one is acting as a multiplayer server, the game should prevent the phone from going in standby and should continue running the game even if it is in background?
Currently, if the player which hosts the game switches to home screen, or does not touch anything for a while and his phone goes black, connected clients immediately get "connection interrupted". This is something which may be very frustrating, especially on Internet published servers. Id software allowed only "dedicated servers" to be reported to the master server (as to say, to be internet servers), I can guess partially due to the possible problems caused by bad pk3s, but also due to the fact that players acting as servers may close the game at any time. So, I suppose you may add some kind of warning in case one is connecting to (or browsing) an Android "non dedicated" internet server.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:33:50 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2016, 03:25:28 AM »

Hi Pelya. Just to say to take your time for thinking about the things mentioned in the previous posts: I'll be going to have some holidays and so will be online quite little in the next week or two. Also, probably I will not have wifi access, so I couldn't download an OA update anyway.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »

I confirm that the voting is broken.

I have quite a lot to fix for the next release. I'll probably limit it to UPnP and voting menu fixes.

The proper way to run a server would be when the phone is unused, with screen turned off, charging and on WiFi. That's how Skype works.
Starting dedicated server from Android app is not complicated, what's xomplicated is how to inform the user about this. The server config might be just your last server map and gametype.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »

Starting dedicated server from Android app is not complicated, what's xomplicated is how to inform the user about this.
Excuse me, what do you mean exactly? Inform who about what?

In quake3 (which IIRC did not have a dedicated server binary like PC OA has), one started a dedicated server by using +set dedicated (1 or 2) by command line or by typing /dedicated (1 or 2) and then loading a map. The GUI goes out and you see only the console, until you set dedicated 0. IIRC... I can't test now. Maybe android could so something similar, but with a button to turn it off and on more easily? Or may provide a separate program (invoked by initial sdl menu or as separate download from play store, with its own app drawer icon) which would be a port of "oa_ded". Just brainstorming.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:38:29 AM by fromhell » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2016, 07:40:08 AM »

The Q3 behavior on Windows is that launching a dedicated server would bring up the same early startup console for the console output.  It would be launchable through the game's q3_UI system as well.

IIRC OA's behavior currently is to reuse the same console in GL but at a sanely  low framerate if started through the ingame UI.  OA3 does not utilize the early console window for dedicated servers (and probably doesn't need to especialyl with regards to android)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:43:57 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »

What I mean by 'dedicated server' is the server that is running without local player and without user interface.
Like, you plug your phone into a charger and leave it, OpenArena detects that the screen is powered off for 30 minutes, charging and on WiFi, and starts the server without asking you.
You pick up your phone, and see a notification 'OpenArena server is running, tap to stop'. Or it will stop in 30 seconds after turning on the screen.
No commandline or console is involved. And I hope that with UDP hole punching, there will be a least few people able to host without configuring their routers.

The problem is how to ask for user permission to start the server in that way. Like a big red popup: 'Click this checkbox, save OpenArena Android community. Your phone might charge 2x slower'.

Speaking about community, there are currently 4811 active app installs, only 1665 have the latest version, around 1500 using version 0.8.8.29 and below, they'll probably be unable to join any of the dedicated servers, because of changes in QVM files.

I don't have any statistics about how many people are trying to play OpenArena online. I'm checking the game 1-2 times a day, only to find empty servers.
I imagine it like that: you open the game, go to Multiplayer menu, look at empty servers, with ping 500 if you're in US, maybe you try to host your own server for 5 minutes, then you get bored and close the game.
There are just not enough active players to keep it sustainable, and the user base does not grow at all after the initial spike.

There is also quite an onslaught of 3D shooters on Play Store, both first-person and third-person, OpenArena does not really bring anything new from the user point of view, which is a shame, because I've seen gyroscope support in just one game, I think it was Nova 3, and it has ads.

So I guess I'll do one final update with UPnP support and improvements to touchscreen controls I was talking about earlier, and be done with this game.

I've discovered recently that on Android 6.0 OpenArena cannot unpack data from SD card, that Play Store downloads for it into .obb file, because it does not ask the user for SD card access, as required by new Android security model. So it downloads the data from sourceforge.net server instead, and does not delete the .obb file.
What do you think is better - to show the dialog asking for SD card access when the game starts, or to download the data from the external server instead of Google Play, so the game itself will shrink back to 10 Mb, and will not require SD card permission?

No, if you leave OA open without touching the screen, it will eventually turn off the screen and that will pause the server. I will change this to not allow screen to turn off while OA is in foreground, this does not require any permission changes.

About how to re-center view after you moved too much with gyroscope... Not sure... you already use shaking phone for starting voice talk, isn't it?
Yes, but you shake it from side to side for voice, and for re-centering camera you would twist it in the hand Smiley I guess it's too complicated and not intuitive.

Is it due to some tweaking which you did to make curves render faster on phones, maybe?

No, it's because Android version uses a mix of the original ioquake3 renderer and OA renderer with disabled shaders, running in GLES1 mode. I've tried to build GLES2 renderer for shaders support, and it even launched, but all textures and half of level geometry were gone  Angry and I am not an OpenGL expert to rewrite Quake3 renderer for GLES2, I only know relatively well the GLES1 fixed pipeline.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »

Are you making some work on your servers right now? I just tried (days ago I noticed maybe also on wifi server browser shows much higher pings than when actually playing, but I wanted to do some more tests first) and it says "no server found".

About other things, I'm writing from phone and I don't have much time, so I'll try to be brief (which is not my best).

I don't like things acting too much automatically, such as programs running in background after you voluntarily closed them (some games do send notifications even after "do you want to quit? Yes"). So, also a server should start and stop when I tell to start and stop.

You may add a button when you start a server to decide if you want it dedicated or not (if you want to play or not). Maybe older OA versions had it...

Oops... I gotta go now. Real life calls. Sorry.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:37 AM »

I did not do any maintenance work on my servers, however I've had a few power oitages at my home this week, so they were unavailable.

I can add a button to start dedicated server to the game UI, but how many people will click it?

Edit: my servers are down right now, they were running just 2 hours ago. Yet another internet outage I presume.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:41:18 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »

Not sure what to suggest about Android 6 issue.

About online gamers, maybe we lack some PR. Lack or PR is an issue also with standard PC version.
We lack active server admins writing in these forums, and players organizing here their matches. In these forums we talk about development, help and troubleshooting... but there isn't much regular activity.

We would need someone talking about the game in game communities and social networks.

About Android OA, other than allowing people to start temporary internet servers from their phone (which actual quality may vary due to connection and other aspects), we should also find someone running a stable US server. Someone already owning standard OA servers may fit. But I don't know exacly how to find such people. Maybe on some of the OpenArena-related IRC channels (see main page of the wiki)?
Also, maybe when you will post next update, you may add in description we NEED some servers in US, and providing some more infos about the android dedicated server download (once you said me the package includes Linux and Windows binaries, but Google Play page does not mention it).

About people in the servers, by now and then I try to connect and spend some minute there waiting for someone to join... but the fact the phone goes standby after a few time I let it on the table does not help.

Also, adding some more bots in your FFA server may make the waiting for human players a bit more enjoyable (1vs1 in large maps isn't the best).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: