Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 306592 times)
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Started running an android client only server. Its pretty much the recommend config, but if anyone has suggestions I am open.

Access through the in game browser

GeezerNET.co.uk *FFA* - 5
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:28:24 PM by GN--Gigabit » Logged

-            www.GeezerNET.co.uk              -
- http://webchat.geezernet.co.uk/?channels=OpenArena -

Public Servers :
- oa.geezernet.co.uk:port
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
- 27333 - InstaGIB Server
- 27444 - ClanArena Server
- 27555 - Android Client Only FFA Server
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

Thank you. That recommended config is composed of the maps which I liked, and there's too little statistics of what other players would like to play, so it's pretty much up to you to experiment and find out what's better (and share what you will discover  Cheesy ). The only thing I'm sure about is that gameplay on cellphone differs a lot from gameplay on PC.
Maybe you can try running some team-based game mode, for example Elimination against bots seems rather fun on the Counterstrike server. CTF or Overload maybe?
I can try to add some kind of poll to the loading screen in the future, asking players if they liked last played map, what do you think? Or maybe a button "Write message to server admin" (on the other hand, chat messages are saved to server log anyway).
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2013, 07:38:55 AM »

Changed the server a little bit, now running as CTF server with of cause CTF maps in rotation.

"GeezerNET.co.uk  *CTF* 5"

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:37 AM »

Pelya, a problem I noticed.
Considering that my device is a little old and that I don't get high framerates, I tried to use a different resolution (from "graphics" menu) to get some more fps.
The result was that the game took only the lower-left part of the screen, instead of adapting to full screen (although "fullscreen" option was enabled). Touchscreen inputs (including the virtual "mouse" pointer), instead, continued to work as if the game was using all the screen, making it quite difficult to change the option again, because to have the pointer click on a part of the screen, you had to touch a different part of it.

I suppose the best thing would be to allow to really adapt the screen to different resolutions. I don't know if that is easy or possible with the designing tools you are using. If that's not possible, you may consider removing the resolution options from the GUI at all.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »

I also have the above problem on a Motorola Xoom.

Can keyboard and mouse play be enabled for gameplay?

Although the settings are there, for key bindings, it doesnt work. Mouse look only works if you hold down left click.

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »

I think Pelya said he voluntarily kept mouse support out, because that requires a rooted phone and because that would give an unfair advantage against other Android players who use touchscreen controls.

Maybe he could include mouse support in the special version that is compabile with "standard" OA servers (renouncing to many Android version customizations, I suppose), if he wants. That version is not available directly on Google Play, but has to be installed as an APK -the link is in the app description in Google Play-. Note: I never tried it, I don't even know if you can have both versions installed at the same same!

However, physical qwerty keyboard actually works with my phone... although with some problems (ALT and SHIFT work only while displaying the "input window").

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »

Yeh I kinda forgot that OTG usb required root.

Cant install both version at the same time, one replaces the other.

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »

@Gig
You cannot have multiple resolutions on Android, because 1 pixel on screen = 3 bytes in the video framebuffer, it does not scale up picture as PC monitor. I can implement something like off-screen rendering to the small-ish texture, then copy and stretch that texture to the video framebuffer, that may give some speed improvements, because framebuffer is filled just once. But it's too much work for too little gain, also you'll see big ugly pixels.
I guess I should remove the option to change resolution at all.

@GN--Gigabit
I've played on GeezerNET CTF server with 6 bots, it's okay on open map, but playing on oa_thornish, when everyone gathered at the center and started shooting, my FPS dropped to 1-2, then my poor Galaxy Note rebooted  Rest In PEACE!
So I suggest removing oa_thornish from the map rotation, or lowering number of bots. Also, would be nice to set g_teamAutoJoin to 1, so you won't need to press Back -> Join.

Neither version of my port supports mouse, the "PC-compatible" port will only allow you to connect to PC servers, nothing more.
If you want mouse support you may try installing this other port, it's not mine, but it supports mouse on rooted devices, you'll need to know the location of your mouse device though, like /dev/input/event3 or /dev/input/mouse0, depends on your kernel.
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »

Removed the map, kept bots the same as I think CTF realy needs 3 vs 3, to really play. Added the team auto join.

The server sees quite a few users, possibly because of the low ping to EU players.

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »

Pelya, I think that allowing the "PC-compatible" version to co-exist on the same device of the "standard Android" version could be very nice. I think that having someone insterested in trying both versions could be a (relatively) probable scenery (however, I suppose that playing against PC users without mouse would be a losing game - But I haven't seen gyroscope aiming, so I can't tell for sure.).

Gigabit, a clarification: I said that the physical keyboard works on my phone, although with some problems (Pelya, any news about that?)... I forgot to mention that keyboard is integrated in the device, it's not a bluetooth keyboard. Considering you are using a Motorola Xoom, I imagine you are using a bluetooth keyboard, right?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:46:17 AM by Gig » Logged

GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »

Yes bluetooth keyboard, but also tried using a usb keyboard.

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »

I've made another update to OpenArena, and added voice chat support. Users need to enable it in the settings first, and then shake the phone during the game to send 3 seconds of voice, so I expect that traffic impact on the server will be low.
@GN--Gigabit
Please replace file pak7-android.pk3 on the server with the file I've attached (it's the only file that contains changes).
Voice chat is allowed on the server by default, if you want to disable it - add string "seta sv_voip 0" to the file ~/.openarena/baseoa/q3config_server.cfg (and not to any other config file, because it fails to set the value any other way, even through command line).
Also, HTTP download is broken on your server (or maybe it's missing Android-specific .pk3 files). Could you please disable or fix it? In one week only around half of all users will update OpenArena app through Google Play, so they will keep downloading file pak7-android.pk3, however it's small, and UDP downloader will handle that task fine.
GN--Gigabit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 03:15:21 AM »

All done & fixed.

Public Servers :
- 27111 - FFA Server
- 27222 - CTF Server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

Pelya, I just updated to version 0.8.8.22.

It seems you made some changes to voip than its standard impementation, right?
It seems your cl_voip works as "0 = disabled", "1=enabled with shake to talk", "2=listen only".

I read you said it's disabled by default in program description. Console reports that cl_voip default value is 2. Seems good. But when I launched the game the first time, the GUI already showed "shake to talk" (and, IIRC, cl_voip was set to 1). Thus, in reality, players find it ENABLED by default, because for some reason it starts from a value different than the one considers cl_voip default value. Maybe a problem with the GUI, I don't know. I supose you should give it a look.
Note: I cannot completely exclude the case I previously changed it do to some tries and I don't remember about it anymore.

Another thing I would be curious... what if one would prefer to bind voice chat to a key (bind v +voiprecord) or to use the auto-record through volume level (cl_voipUseVAD), to avoid shaking the phone? Would they work?

About the console, now I see one enters console commands directly, without having to use ~ to pull console down before. The problem is that the console also automatically closes at the end of the command, so you don't see its response!

By the way, what do you think about the idea of allowing co-existence of "Android-only" and "Android-PC-compatible" versions on the same device?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »

It seems that when you're upgrading, it reads the value 1 from config file, because VoIP support was already there compiled-in in the previous version (but SDL audio input was not working of course). Dunno, should I publish another upgrade, that will remove user config file? I'll surely hear some complaints about that. Or swap the value meanings, making 1 listen-only?
It's possible to bind VoIP to a key, and it will work.
With console it's one way or another, but both ways are bad Sad anyway, I don't want to touch it anymore, because it will be used by only a tiny fraction of the users.
Co-existence isn't very hard to do, just change the Android class name, but it will download all data files again into different dir. Should I do that?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »

It seems that when you're upgrading, it reads the value 1 from config file, because VoIP support was already there compiled-in in the previous version (but SDL audio input was not working of course). Dunno, should I publish another upgrade, that will remove user config file? I'll surely hear some complaints about that. Or swap the value meanings, making 1 listen-only?
It's possible to bind VoIP to a key, and it will work.
With console it's one way or another, but both ways are bad Sad anyway, I don't want to touch it anymore, because it will be used by only a tiny fraction of the users.
Co-existence isn't very hard to do, just change the Android class name, but it will download all data files again into different dir. Should I do that?
I think it may be ok if you could make an update that would simply delete the cl_voip variable from users q3config.cfg file (ONCE ONLY), that would be re-created immediately after (at first launch), taking the correct default value this time (disabled or listen only). You may warn in changelog that users may have to choose VOIP mode again.
Of course you shold do some test to be sure you will not mess up users config.

About console, I have not time to think about it now... I must go!!

About the dual version, I would do it. Anyway, the pc compatible version is not on market, thus will be downloaded only by people who know what they are doing. Anyway, warning that data would be downloaded separately for each one of the two installations, if installing both, is just a few words of text to write.

The current not knowing that changing the data location (from your "external" menu) would cause re-download again and to do not free space from the old location is more dangerous, IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:24:21 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

I think it may be ok if you could make an update that would simply delete the cl_voip variable from users q3config.cfg file (ONCE ONLY)
That's already too complicated.

About the dual version, I would do it.
Recompiled, here it is
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2013, 03:22:49 AM »

I think it may be ok if you could make an update that would simply delete the cl_voip variable from users q3config.cfg file (ONCE ONLY)
That's already too complicated.
Then just update the description, telling that for new installs, it's "listen only" by default, but if updating from a previous release, users may find it already "enabled", and may wish to disable it.
About the dual version, I would do it.
Recompiled, here it is
Good. I will try it when I have some time. Smiley I have very little time in this period.
Advertise this new opportunuty in description. (Possibly, telling users that already had the old pc-compatible version installed what should they do now).

Another question. Does cl_voip 2 really set incoming only, or simply disables the "shake to talk" feature? I mean, if I bind a key for voice chat, or enable the VAD feature, will they send data also with cl_voip 2?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:05:32 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 04:23:26 AM »

It just disables shake to talk, the key should work.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »

Google recently added a game support to their Google Play services, and I can integrate it into Android build of OpenArena. More info

Pros: You can invite your friends or totally random players to some server right from OpenArena, they will receive a notification to their phone, and if you click it OA will start and auto-connect to that server. There are also leaderboards, achievements and pushing savegames to the cloud, however those features aren't of much use for OA (proper clanwars cannot be represented with simple leaderboards).

Cons: you have to sell your soul create an account in Google+, which is hard not to do if you own Android device. Also, OA will look a bit more like Farmville with all that social stuff  Roll Eyes

There is also a "realtime multiplayer" feature, which as I understand is like your game network stream pushed through Google Talk voice stream, also you've got to route network packets through that Java API, which is butt-ugly Grin but you don't need to worry about NAT, it will perform UDP punch-through automagically, or route data stream through Google servers, as far as I can tell. Anyway, that's too complicated to use, and even if I'll integrate that, I expect stellar-high pings. And it is not available on PC, it's Android/iOs/webbrowser only.
Also, I am currently busy with my job, so I won't be able to develop OA for at least two months Sad

So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:20:02 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »

I do not like "social networks" in general, because I like my privacy (a thing that new generations do not care about, or at least so seems).
I have a google account, but I try avoiding clicking on anything related to "google+" (too bad recently everything seems related to google+... I even stopped giving "stars" to Google Play Apps due to the fact now they are connected to g+).

Some features could be nice... however I'm quite cautious about these "social" things. Of course, this is only my humble opinion.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:52 AM »

Well okay, less work for me.

Edit: Some statistics from the Play Store. It seems like active installs got stuck at 3900, and won't go further Sad so, as of now, the development of this port is finished. I'll add an OA community map pack, when it will be released, and maybe I'll add an option to switch between Android and PC server lists, because currently it's two separate releases.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:11:15 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »

Well, almost 4000 active installs after a relatively short time for an indie game is not so bad, IMHO. I would not give up.  Smiley

I still hope you may fix some of the small issues we previously talked about (e.g. some physical keys working only when you open the input window)...

And about the way the console works (now it automatically opens, but also automatically closes after an input -this is a problem to read console answers-)... what about adding an option in the SDL menu to allow people to choose the way they prefer (manually closing and opening it if they prefer)?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:12:52 AM by Gig » Logged

madnax2069
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »

I run the openmisery.apk on my OUYA.  Being that this version plays against PC players. Would it be possible to enable mouse for gameplay instead of just navigating the menus. The OUYA controller works great but not against PC players using a keyboard and mouse.

I was sort of bummed out when I hooked up a keyboard and mouse up to my ouya only to find out you could not use the mouse to look around.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »

Ouya does not have proper mouse support - once your mouse cursor reaches screen edge, the game will not receive any more mouse events, and it's not allowed to move cursor to the center of the screen, as PC does. This is limitation of Android itself, so I cannot really do much about that.
There is another Quake3 engine port, by different developer, which uses root access to read raw mouse events, so you can play Quake with mouse on your Android device (and you may need to reboot your device afterwards).

I was really hoping that Ouya makers will add some extra info to the input events, with relative mouse movement or raw coordinates of your finger on touchpad, that would make it possible to at least use touchpad for aiming, pretty much as if you were playing Quake3 on notebook. I've even created a special app that will log all input events happening on your Ouya. Last time I've checked that a month ago, maybe they added those extra coordinates since then - you may try to install that app on your Ouya, move mouse cursor around screen using touchpad and mouse, and copy here your adb logcat output (as you may have guessed already, I don't own Ouya).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: