Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Android port  (Read 306584 times)
madnax2069
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Ouya does not have proper mouse support - once your mouse cursor reaches screen edge, the game will not receive any more mouse events, and it's not allowed to move cursor to the center of the screen, as PC does. This is limitation of Android itself, so I cannot really do much about that.
There is another Quake3 engine port, by different developer, which uses root access to read raw mouse events, so you can play Quake with mouse on your Android device (and you may need to reboot your device afterwards).

I was really hoping that Ouya makers will add some extra info to the input events, with relative mouse movement or raw coordinates of your finger on touchpad, that would make it possible to at least use touchpad for aiming, pretty much as if you were playing Quake3 on notebook. I've even created a special app that will log all input events happening on your Ouya. Last time I've checked that a month ago, maybe they added those extra coordinates since then - you may try to install that app on your Ouya, move mouse cursor around screen using touchpad and mouse, and copy here your adb logcat output (as you may have guessed already, I don't own Ouya).

It might be better if you was to explain it then I would about how its not properly implemented.  The person I'm talking to is named Piers http://forums.ouya.tv/profile/27/Piers (you shoukd join that forum and send him a message about it) he is apart of team OUYA and can communicate with the engineering team to possibly fix the issue so where it can fully support the extra coordinates, so people could implement proper mouse support.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:46:25 PM by madnax2069 » Logged
shinkamui
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »

looks like im late to the party.  I follow and use a LOT of your ports pelya.  This is your masterpiece.  Plays really well especially on my shield.  I hope you revisit it from time to time.  Despite what the others say, adding the play features would be a plus.  Especially for matchmaking, and if you could get the peer to peer working, that would be a bonus too.  I like the 3rd person view, but the character head is in the way, would be pretty cool if you could offset the character position so its an over the shoulder view instead of shooting through the head.  If thats doable via the console, someone drop me a hint.  Anyway, BIG fan, wanted to register to say just that if nothing else.  keep up the excellent work. 
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »

You can change camera distance from settings. I'll move it to the shoulder, and add another option to settings.
I'll probably release it when OA community map pack will be released, because those maps are heavenly good and I want to include them to my server, I hope you won't mind 70Mb download.

Google+ is too complicated for me, also the example project provided by Google refused to work, so I won't likely to do it.
There are too little players anyway on Android, and the difference in device quality is too big - devices produced in 2013 can give you stable 60 FPS, devices of 2011 - 20 FPS if you are lucky, so any serious clan wars will use PC of course. We can safely bet on the progress though - a gigabyte of RAM is the minimum today, while two years ago 512 Mb was norm, this matters more for UfoAI than OpenArena though (and I should update UfoAI sometime, because I'm their semi-official and only Android developer, they probably forgot me already).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »

Pelya, do you think the next version will bring some improvement about typing? E.g. the ability to choose between the two ways for typing text in the console (the one that automatically open/closes it, and the previous one)?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »

If you have QWERTY keyboard plugged, you can invoke console directly using tilde key, it will not bring up  Android input window, the fix is already in Git. If you're not, you only can use that Android input window.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:49 AM »

If you have QWERTY keyboard plugged, you can invoke console directly using tilde key, it will not bring up  Android input window, the fix is already in Git. If you're not, you only can use that Android input window.
Tilde key requires "alt" on my phone... and if I recall correctly, "alt" does not work in Android-OA...
However, that thing of the console that auto-closes is not so comfortable, if you have to check its output...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:37 AM »

This is also fixed, also you may bind another key to showconsole command.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:07 AM »

I've pubished another update, to sync with Ouya release.

Owner of Cool Mediatech Open Server, please update .pk3 files on your server (just re-download dedicated server package). Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:53:25 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 01:50:54 AM »

Hi Pelya!
It was some time I did not launch the game on Android... and I did not do it before installing the update.
But I have the impression that now OA runs even slower than before on my phone. Is it possible that this update changed something in renderer or something that may have lowered performances, or maybe it's just my phone that has become slower due to some other reason?

Uhm... probably, it's just my old device...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:14:32 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »

It's quite ppssible, I've added several checks for aOuya to the code, they are mostly in GUI part.
If you compare to OA two versions ago, there is accelerometer added, which sends a stream of events OA must process, that can impact performance considerably.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »

It's quite ppssible, I've added several checks for aOuya to the code, they are mostly in GUI part.
If you compare to OA two versions ago, there is accelerometer added, which sends a stream of events OA must process, that can impact performance considerably.
What is the accelerometer used for, considering you don't use it for aiming? Is there an option to disable it, to check how much it does affect performances?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:09 AM »

It's used for VoIP 'shake to talk'. I'm not sure if you can disable it, I'll look at the code later.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »

Hi! Can I ask you if it may be possible to add another aiming style? I'd like something mid-way between "tap to shoot" and "single-touch shooting" (from the second one, the thing of firing to the point you are touching).
I mean, keeping the usual back-from-the-shoulders view from "tap to shoot mode", but the game should automatically move my aim to the point I touch, starting to shoot following the place I'm touching (when I double tap). In other words, like "one touch shooting" but keeping a more "fixed" camera angle, and requiring "double touch" to start shooting.

Do you think a such thing would be possible/relatively easy to implement?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 06:50:09 AM »

I'll add that new aiming mode in the next release. I'm not sure about double-tap, I think it will be clumsy, so I'll probably add two modes, with and without it.
But I don't know when I'll update it, the installs number keep shrinking (3732 active/36000 total installs), and I'm working on some other stuff.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »

I suppose that making the game more comfortable to control may help keeping people who try the game continue using it. Releasing an update may remember people that they have the game on their device.

Maybe you may insert the new mode together with the update that will include OACMP...

By the way, about Google Play description about "single-touch shooting", maybe you may modify it to "single-touch shooting mode allows for faster aiming, but harder to master - touch next to screen borders to look around, touch anywhere else to shoot at there; watch the video for instructions." Just an idea.

PS: Isn't the current "tap to shoot" a "double tap"? I was thinking to a feeling similar to that one, to start shooting (but shooting at where your finger is)... Although it's not technically a "double tap", it's still okay, I can guess...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:58:34 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 03:26:16 AM »

Hey Pelya... what do you know about Android terms of use for apps that download files from the web? I contacted the author of "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Ports_and_markets#Android_-_Zeus_Arena]Zeus Arena" app (one of those that allow to play Q3A if you own it, or else to automatically download OA), that days ago disappeared from Google Play (but its source code is still available).
He answered to me, saying that Google removed it because it seems that apps downloading files from the web are not allowed in Google Play. And that he should fix that problem in the future, but at the moment he's too busy with real life.

Pelya, considering many apps from yours download files at first launch, do you know something about this rule?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 04:10:16 AM »

That sounds like nonsense to me. There is a rule that any game with online play shall be marked as medium or high maturity, but downloading something from internet was always allowed, and there are very many games doing this. The alternative is putting everything into .apk file, which will fail to install on Android 2.X devices, or using Google Play file downloader feature, which allows you to download two files up to 2Gb each, but does not allow to remove them afterwards, so if you'll download zipfile with data and unpack it you'll be wasting space.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 08:30:05 AM »

I found some pages about Google Play policies:
http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/publish/preparing.html
http://play.google.com/intl/en/about/developer-content-policy.html
In the second one, I found this line "An app downloaded from Google Play may not modify, replace or update its own APK binary code using any method other than Google Play's update mechanism." and this one "Apps must not create unpredictable network usage that has an adverse impact on a user's service charges or an Authorized Carrier's network.". Maybe it was just that he did not explain clearly enough in app description that it would have downloaded a lot of stuff, like your app does? But I thought that downloading OA was an user choice, in Zeus Arena...

Is this the "google play file downloader feature" you mentioned? http://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files.html

A few other links:
Google Play legal information: http://play.google.com/intl/it/about/play-terms.html
App Install Location: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

Well... it's still a mystery for me...

I hope Android OA will not encounter such problems...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:45:50 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »

Yes, that's right pages. Clause about updating APK code appeared after Facebook updated their app bypassing Google Play, I think it's not applicable to OA, because downloading VM is not changing .apk file.
Second clause is to ban DDOS bots and other malicious stuff.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2013, 03:54:53 AM »

Another thing about Android OA... did you check what happens if you run a server (in dedicated mode or not, from the complete OA Android app or from the Android-OA dedicated server binaries.... by the way, for which OS is that dedicated server package for?) but you have the option for connecting to PCs active?
I can guess that android-oa has got some extra .pk3 files than PC version, and we have to be sure that PC users will not autodownload those extra .pk3 due to erroneusly connecting to an Android server. So, we have to be sure that an Android server will not be shown to PC users, even if it had the variable to search for PC servers enabled (I can guess that should be a client-side only variable, but I don't know)...

I can guess that checking this should have a relatively high priority...  Smiley

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2013, 08:04:19 AM »

If PC versions would be able to connect to Android servers and still would be able to run (as a miracle), then they would kick their asses...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »

PC clients will never see Android servers, because of different server ID string.
Server package has executables for Windows and Linux. I can also give you Linux arhmf executable, if you have any hardware to run it (no it won't run on RasPI).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »

Pelya, I just tested the two new aiming styles added with version .24.
In firstperson mode, I do really have major problems firing. Shots are not where I tap, nor where the crosshair is shown. Please check that.

In thirdperson mode, they behave better.  Smiley But I find the effect of the view changing immediately (in 1 frame) when you tap on a different part of the screen is confusing. Couldn't that rotate the character instead of the screen (or the player first, and then the screen smoothly)?

It also happens that I disable third-person view and it continues to work in thirperson view (then, if I restart the arena, it correctly displays in firstperson)

Question: the SDL framework still does not allow to have two on-screen joysticks?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:51:34 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »

SDL does allow two on-screen joysticks now, but do you really want that? Swiping is much more precise IMO.
To check how two on-screen joysticks work, you can install a game called Critical Strike from Google Play, and enable it inside Settings -> Controls -> Second Aim.

I'll fix new aiming modes with first-person camera, I've only checked third-person when I've added them.

I can only rotate screen smoothly in "aim under finger" mode, because the crosshair is fixed in the center of the screen, so in "shoot under finger" mode you need to rotate camera instantly, to be able to shoot where you tap.

I can also implement something like "half-floating crosshair", with crosshair detached from center, and camera following crosshair smoothly until it's in center of the screen, but this aiming mode will not work with PC servers and mods, because crosshair must be fixed at the center of the screen in any QVM, which does not contain Android modifications.

Currently, 4 of 5 aiming modes work well with PC servers, the only mode that does not work is "floating crosshair".

As usual, any modification brings a heap of broken things and incompatibilities, and I'll need to update it anyway, when re-re-re-release of OACMP Vol1 will be available. Fixing things is much easier on Android though - you just push new version onto unsuspecting users, and they have no choice to downgrade, hehe (I'm providing old version via my SF.net project though, so downgrading is still possible).

BTW how do you like new over-shoulder camera?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

My initial idea for the new aiming style was to have crosshair control similar to old "one tap shooting" (I can guess now it has been renamed to "floating crosshair", maybe?), but requiring a double-tap to start shooting. In other words, controlling aiming after you already started shooting seem good enough, is it possible to keep the same feeling while aiming without shooting?

For the new camera, at first it reminded me "DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3" ^_^, rotated from the character... I have to test it more, but it does not seem bad at first.  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: