Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Info about description.txt  (Read 6726 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

Hi! I was making some tests, and I noticed that (unless I did something wrong) "description.txt" file (the one that controls how a mod's name is displayed in MODS menu) works only if not packaged into a pk3. Considering that autodownload feature only gets pk3 files, this means that you will not see the description for any mod you will autodownload (you will simply see the mod's folder name, instead).
I was wondering... is there some way to workaround this?
Or do you think it would be a nice thing to update the gamecode to let it load description.txt also from pk3 files, if not found outside of them?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »

just fix the download code to download .txt files (or this particular filename)
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »

Hi! I was making some tests, and I noticed that (unless I did something wrong) "description.txt" file (the one that controls how a mod's name is displayed in MODS menu) works only if not packaged into a pk3. Considering that autodownload feature only gets pk3 files, this means that you will not see the description for any mod you will autodownload (you will simply see the mod's folder name, instead).
I was wondering... is there some way to workaround this?
Or do you think it would be a nice thing to update the gamecode to let it load description.txt also from pk3 files, if not found outside of them?

Gig, quite frankly the only thing missing is that it doesn't display the version number.**  That is, instead of Excessive Plus being displayed as Excessive Plus 2.2b it is displayed as excessiveplus.  Ditto for the other two mods that I have - AfterShock and Alternate Fire.

** ofc, you do see the version number and properly formatted Mod name once you launch the Mod.

I don't see this as a functional issue, albeit, it is an aesthetic one.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »

Of course, this is not a major problem... it's just something that iD Software could have done a little better, and that maybe we may fix in some way.  Smiley
I placed it in this section of the forum just because I didn't know a better place for it ("development" maybe? But I wanted to ask if I was missing something before...)...

@Andrewj: in that case, I would suggest to download that particular filename only, because otherwise it may potentially autodownload some files that server admins may have placed there for their own reference, I fear (altough autodownloading "readme.txt" files may be interesting maybe)...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »

It'd be best to just try loading "description.pk3" from within the mod's pk3s as well and not mess with autodownload. This might be tricky though, since at this point the mod's pk3s are not loaded.

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: