Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server on but no one can play on the server, no firewall problem!  (Read 16774 times)
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: July 15, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

Hello

I have a problem:
When a player tries to connect to my server he/she can't pass the awaiting gamestate screen, and the server shows only that the player has connected, but nothing else happens, waited like 30min...

Could it be  about hardware ->900mhz and ~190mb memory

http://arenafinland.tk a finnish OpenArena server and clan.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »

Hello

I have a problem:
When a player tries to connect to my server he/she can't pass the awaiting gamestate screen, and the server shows only that the player has connected, but nothing else happens, waited like 30min...

Could it be  about hardware ->900mhz and ~190mb memory

For starters, it would be helpful if you at least attach the server launch parameters and server.cfg.  Knowing the exact distro (OS) might also be helpful.

Even though your system specs are very meager, someone ought to be able to connect.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »

For debugging purposes, you could try "/set developer 1" on the server, which will cause it to spit out a little more debug info.

The hardware specs might be a little to low for a full 64 slots server, but at least one player ought to be able to connect Smiley

This space is for rent.
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »

I'm using the same config as before, on my newer server that broke...

Operating system is Lubuntu 10.04 (meaning ubuntu with lxde instead of gnome)

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

Is there some ip:port for us to try connecting to?

This space is for rent.
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »

I could give, it but people that I gave it couldn't connect...

the developer mode says "myname" dropped gamestate...

.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »

Still using the last LTS? If the repos for Lucid Lynx haven't upgraded from version 8.1, people might have moved on to the 8.5 version that is in Precise's Software Center.

What OS are your users running, if you know? Assuming they're all on Linux it shouldn't matter, but if this isn't a dedicated server box, I doubt users of the Windows build can connect to Linux servers. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this, though. All I know is that in some cases using a different SDK to compile a build for another OS can botch up multi-OS communications. Seen it happen on another open-source game.) I tend to over-think almost everything, so if you've already considered all of this, feel free to shoot me. =P

|

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »

All I know is that in some cases using a different SDK to compile a build for another OS can botch up multi-OS communications. Seen it happen on another open-source game.)

The internet was designed to be OS-neutral, and any game/SDK that screws this up was programmed by, well... OpenArena/Q3 sure is OS-neutral.

As for the TS' problem, two questions:
1) Can you connect with a client running on the server itself (localhost)?
2) Are you sure its not a firewall problem, because it looks like the server is expecting packets it isn't getting? Since the clients can connect to the server, couldn't it be you're blocking packets from the server to the clients (outgoing UDP)?

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »

Already taken a look to here?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

That link reminds me. Has the internal IP assigned by your router changed? If you've shut it down recently, (As opposed to putting it in standby or restarts.) you may have to allow the address your system is currently using in the router's settings. For SRB2 a few years back, I just left a few frequently-assigned IPs in the Allow list to host through the router, that way I wouldn't have to change it constantly.

Or are you using just a DSL modem?

Quote from: 7
The internet was designed to be OS-neutral, and any game/SDK that screws this up was programmed by, well... OpenArena/Q3 sure is OS-neutral.

It's good to know OA can communicate with multiple OSs. 8-) Can't say the same for Urban Terror and SRB2, though, for a lot of reasons.

|
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »

The openarena have been downloaded from this site, so it isnt the old 081, it's 088.

Still the server is shown on list, I can try to connect it, but the server just says "dropped gamestate"

I can connect and play on the server in server computer, if I am ingame with it the ping is around 5, so I guess the packets go via my operator.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »

I can connect and play on the server in server computer, if I am ingame with it the ping is around 5, so I guess the packets go via my operator.

I very strongly think the packets don't go via your provider but are routed internally on your server!

The internet clients can connect to the server initially otherwise the server wouldn't be able to detect that they're dropping the gamestate. That's why I suspect that packets from the server don't reach the internet clients, because if the clients don't get the server's packets they can't react to the game and the server thinks they've dropped the connection. So I really think some of the outbound internet traffic from your server gets blocked, either on the server's firewall or on your router.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
MilanFIN
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »

A while from I tried this last time, but if someone would try connecting here: http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=62.44.220.71:27960

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »

If dpmaster gives "NO RESPONSE", that means it can't access the server on that port. Neither will we be able to.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »

Now it says "no response"... but yesterday it reported the infos (oasago2 was loaded, IIRC) and the server was in the list. But yesterday I was just taking a look from the cell phone so I can't say if it was possible to play on it or not...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »

Oh, okay. Milan, did you turn the server off in the meantime?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: