Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: tag_lightOrigin  (Read 6199 times)
revanic
VIP
Half-Nub

Cakes 4

« on: August 25, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »

Basically if a model or playermodel has a tag_lightorigin, it will use the tag as the center point for lighting. This would increase the lighting accuracy on animated models by making the lighting more consistant when they crouch or die as the lighting origin would move. Probably wouldn't have any real performance hit. Could be done for just player models within CG_Player. Actualy if you do use it for just models, you could have a line in the animation.cfg that will specify what tag to use for the lightingorigin since some models could get away with just using tag_torso.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »

I get it! So the ambient light doesn't look off between the torso and hte legs and the head and the weapon!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
revanic
VIP
Half-Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »

Pretty sure that's sarcasm. I already know quake 3 uses a light origin, however that origin is static placed at the player origin. if the model's frames move away from that origin, its still lit by that origin only. This lights it by a more 'dynamicly moving' origin.

Say maybe you had it for an animated box (its origin does not move, its not a coded animation). The box plays an animation of falling off something. Q3 normally would just light that box by its real origin, so the lighting doesn't actualy change as it falls. With the light origin tag, the light WOULD change because its with the box's frame of reference.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »

It wasn't sarcasm.

Wouldn't you need to move the real origin for a box tumbling anyway? I mean if you don't do that, it wouldn't be seen past the PVS i don't think.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
revanic
VIP
Half-Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »

ehhh it was merely an example, a very unpolished example.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: