Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Quake III and Elite Force the only FPSs that explain how characters respawn?  (Read 14864 times)
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »

Seriously, how many shooters actually provide an explanation for that? After finally buying a retail copy of Quake III recently, I read in the manual that the gods would heal gladiators of their wounds and teleport them back into the arena so they can keep on fighting! And in Elite Force's case, the "Holo Match" takes place on the Holodeck, so no one really dies, or they could all just be holograms fighting each other for the sake of entertaining spectators watching from outside.

I guess that makes Quake's death matches more realistic than HALO's or Call of Duty's, because they just respawn for no apparent reason! =P I wonder if OpenArena's lore covers this subject too? The bots refer to a certain goddess in their insults a lot.

|
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »

Unreal Tournament 3 has the "Respawners", even explained in-game. There's a limited amount of uses for them, (you know, the "fraglimit") and after that, they worn out. For CTF they use Field Lattice Generators... yeah, FLaGs... And for Warfare, there's the Core.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »

I think there's similar respawn lore for TF2 out there in which the contents of the intelligence briefcases are genetic fingerprints of the individual classes for a cloning shower room.

For OA3 I kinda wanted to make respawning a feature of a magical amulet Sorceress came up with by alchemy making her a central character, and in which the research was constantly reproduced through the ages or something to excuse the clashing time periods of themes and characters.  I have a nice fitting "summoning" telep.md3 effect to go with this idea.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »

That would definitely be an interesting way to go about it without mirroring Quake III's mythological answer, I like it. :D It seems fairly consistent with the way teleports work now too.

And that's definitely the style of TF2! A cloning shower room, the hilarious inventions in that game know no end. XD I'd totally be playing it myself if the initial download size wasn't so massive.

Unreal Tournament 3 has the "Respawners", even explained in-game. There's a limited amount of uses for them, (you know, the "fraglimit") and after that, they worn out. For CTF they use Field Lattice Generators... yeah, FLaGs... And for Warfare, there's the Core.

Ah, didn't know about the Respawners, and the FLaGs go over my head. I need to Google all this stuff tonight, it sounds neat. =P

I really should look into the Unreal Tournament series; still kicking myself for passing up a complete copy of the first game at a thrift shop last month.

|
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

Unreal Tournament is one of my main inspiration sources for mapping. For example, am_galmevish was modelled after three maps from the UT series: the Morbias series, DM-Gael and DM-Leviathan.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »

I can vouch for UT being an infuence too. It inspired me to actually make use of the detail texture stages feature no one ever EVER EVER USES IN IDTECH3 (except by Raven for Elite Force and Rogue for Alice). I also wanted similar tracker music, but no tracker musician ever stepped up.
Also UT3 was an influence even, for the new explosion effect in 0.8.8 (cg_leiEnhancement 1 to see it).

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »

I've almst forgot at one point that the entirety of Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament's soundtrack was done in tracker format.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: