Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oaakomctf2 - Arenawarriors Tribute 2  (Read 17962 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »

Hi everyone, remember me ?  Grin

Here is my last work, this time is a map for Open Arena.

Code:
https://www.box.com/s/3vbjvnu30v8ho7cac2jd
Follow download instructions here:
http://akom74.forumattivo.com/t164-how-to-download

If you want to see how this map was born, go here:
http://akom74.forumattivo.com/t171-oaakomctf2-arenawarriors-tribute-2

Enjoy this map and tell me if you like it or if you have some issues.

Bye.
 Wink

EDIT: Ambient Music is missing because this map was done with Q3A Editor.

EDIT2: Download link updated with new-one ! Enjoy the modified map !

EDIT3: Download link re-updated with new version of the map !

EDIT4: Download link re-re-updated with new version of the map. Enjoy !
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:35:09 AM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »

"Oops — this shared file or folder link has been removed. "

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »

"Oops — this shared file or folder link has been removed. "

I have downloaded it few moments ago, the link is valid.
I'm using Firefox and i'm not logged into my box.com account, i have downloaded it as a guest member.

Tell me if you have problem with the download and i will put it in another host.

Bye.
 Wink

P.S.: Sorry for my english, but i'm Italian  Tongue Grin

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »

Oh, I must have used the wrong link. My bad.

D/Ling.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:32 AM »

Thank you for adding the map in the list of unofficial maps.
I hope you enjoyed this map. What do you think about it ?

Bye.
 Wink

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »

I can't put more than 4 pictures per message, so there'll be 3 messages. I'm sorry to act this way and I hope they won't be removed, but I need those pictures as far as I'm not able to be as explicit as them. I hope you'll be understanding.

Ciao Akom ! I tested your map and didn't dislike it, but there were things that disturbed me a bit and I needed to speak about them.

First of all, let's start by a litlle Scheme of your map ! On Picture 1, you can observe an aerial view of your map (the ground floor is the upper part, and the first floor the other part composed of 2 "blocks"). I put items, walls and doors so you can really imagine yourself how it is. ( I won't spend too much time on the scheme's caption, globally weapons are circles, ammos triangles, health/armor squares, flags hexagons, stairs squares with arrow. And the color of figures determine which item it is, a red circle is a rocket launcher and a red square a +100 armor for instance).

The first reproach I do to your map, is to have only 2 corridors to come to one base to the other. in some maps, this kind of layout doesn't embarass much (Repctf3 by example) but on yours it does. In fact it's more the way it's done which is embarassing, the 2 right angles you need to do to get into the corridor don't allow you to strafe continuousy, you need to stop and to strafe later. Also, the short corridor you have to go throught to get to the long corridor, is quite long (Picture 3). So quite boring, in my opinion. Another thing, when you strafe too close of the wall you can sometimes touch a lamp (Picture 4) which suddently slow you down, if I were you, i'd create an invisible "clip" wall, that way people couldn't touch lamps. Next, you should try to add one more way like in the center (Picture 2), the gameplay would certainly be more dynamic than it's actually and the map itself would be more balanced and more fluid, if you see what I mean.

Secondly, as you can see on the scheme, there are only 4 weapons takable (the Rocket, Plasma, Grenade and the Shotgun) which are all in the bases. People are stupid, they like the rail and the lightning. That's not my case and I would usually congratulate you for that, but the lack of weapons damages much the map's gameplay. when I played it with bots, they attacked the ennemy's base with their machinegun (which is quite embarassing) because they couln't take any weapons (they apparently didn't spawn in their base). Then, there is also a lack of health, not so many +50 and only one big red armor. You should try to add much more weapons, ammos and health/armor items IMO.

The most important is said, the first message is done and the second is comming quickly.

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »

2nd part !!!

Picture 1: On 1rst floor, the rocket launcher room. When you are going to the flag's room, you sometimes hurt the door's top (by the way, many doors in the map are too tiny), I'd propose you to put a bigger door there (as I nicely drew it).

Picture 2:Another little thing, the red and the blue bases are almost the same and it's dificult to differentiate them, as you can see on the picture. new textures, or flags, or models, or light, or... would be hepful.

Picture 3:on the red armor room, on a corner. When a sweet player comes from the flag room to the red armor room, he has to take a door way. The problem is that a mean player can hide himself on the corner, that way, the sweet player can't see him and risk in any time to be killed in his back ! That's not something bad in itself, it's interesting but I don't know if you should keep it in your map. have a thinking for all sweet players of the world.

Picture 4: Skyrim ? 0_0
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »

Last part !

Your map reminded me of another one, I don't know if that openly inspired of that or anything but it reminds me it. Its name was "House of Evil", you can get more informations about here: http://lvlworld.com/review.php?id=505.
Here is a picture of it:

However, I also made a compilation of different litlle mistakes I saw when I tested the map (Picture 2).

Anyway, it's not a bad map. I hope to be able to play it soon on servers. Try to work on things I noticed upper to improve it and it'll be a really good map, in my opinion. Buona fortuna !
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Hi, thanks for suggestions, and for the screenshots  Tongue Grin

The map seems too dark in your screens, why ?

Anyway, i'll try to redo the map with your suggestions.

....wait some hour....

Bye.
 Grin

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

Of note is that House of Pain is even one of Team Arena's official maps. And IICR it's even on Quake Live. Did you got some inspiration from there?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »

@Neon_Knight : Yes i've got some inspiration from the official Team Arena map Tongue

@Moixie : I have modified the map ! Cheesy

Here is some screenshots:

Now some passages are bigger than before:

Removed the tiny passage and the "stair" :

The long passage now is a short passage:

The Blue Base (and the Red Base) now will be recognised better:

Actually i have found some little texture bug and i'll fix it as soon as possible.

Bye.
Wink

P.S.: Sorry for my English, but i'm Italian....XD....

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »

I kinda like the emerald scheme. It gives off a year 2000 / hm_temple vibe for some reason

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »

Hi everybody.

This morning i've created this custom teleporter with shader (and Drone sound) within, like it ?  Tongue
I have also added the lightning-gun.

I have added a third way to get the flag, hope the playability is good now  Grin.

I've just update the first post with new link to download the new versione of the map.

I hope that way was better then before. Tell me.

Code:

Bye.
 Cool

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »

Hello ! I quickly tested it and I really enjoyed the changes. Now, I would like to look at your map from a different angle than the last time.

1°) As you can see I drew 2 ways on the Scheme, the A and the B way. Now, that would be interesting to know which items the players who followed these 2 ways took. So here are the items they could took:

A: - 2x50 armor                                                                              B: - Rocket Launcher
                                                                        - 12x5   health                                                                               - Shotgun
                                                                        - 100   armor                                                                                 - 20x5 armor
                                                                        - Lightning gun and the grenade launcher

If I sum up, when A arrives in the ennemy's base, he has 160 health, 200 armor and a weapon: the lightning gun (is the grenade a so dangerous weapon, seriously ?). Whereas when B arrives, he only has 100 health and 100 armor but he has a rocket launcher and a shotgun.
In my opinion, when they arrive in the ennemy's base, players should have the most of weapons possible but shouldn't have more than 120 health and 100 armor. So if I were you I'd place more weapons in the base (that way almost all players take them) and armors/health on the midlle (I hate resistant defenders). 

2°) Next, I looked for the time you needed to go to the other base. So, I followed the A way and the B way. The first time, I ran and the second time I strafed. I recorded each time thanks to the defrag mod, here are the results:

tAr= 25.552 s          tBr= 20.592 s               
tAs= 21.536 s           tBs= 14.624 s   

On the subscripts, the A/B correspond to the way taken (A or B) and the r/s correspond to "run" and "strafe". Personally, I can't observe anything with these time and I needed to compare them with others on other maps. And that's what I made, I recorded the time I needed to come from a flag to the other when I strafed and when I ran, on OaSago2 and Pul1Ctf. ( I took the central way of each map)

tSagr= 14.192 s           tPulr= 17.512 s     
     tSags= 8.584 s             tPuls= 8.720 s           

What we see the first is that the time on your map is almost twice as long as the time needed on Pul1ctf and on OaSago2. But in the end it's not really interesting if we considere that there is not only one good size/time for a map. Secondly, we can observe that the time when we walk and when we strafe is close on your map whereas it's much more dissimilar on Pul1Ctf and on OaSago2. So I made some calculations:         

ΔtA= (tAr-tAs)/tAs

ΔtA=15.71%   ΔtB= 40.81 %
ΔtSag= 65.34%   ΔtPul= 100.83 %

As you can see upper, compared to the time needed when you strafe, the time needed when you walk is 15.71% and 40.81% bigger on your map whereas it is around 60% on OaSago2 and even around 100% on Pul1Ctf. My diagnostic is the following: contrary to the 2 other maps, your map doesn't allow player to strafe freely (right angles force you to stop your strafe and you lose much speed for instance) whereas a CTF map has to be much dynamic (contrary to dm and tourneys where the main objective isn't to bring an item from a point to another point). If I were you, I'd try to make turns less brutal. They actually look like "figure 1", whereas they would be much better if they were like "figure 2", in my opinion.

ps: your teleporter model looks awesome
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:23:26 PM by Moixie » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

UPDATE  Grin

I've mixed some weapons distribution, see and tell me if you like it.

I have rebuilded the lateral passages and now you can strafe easily.

Here is the link to download this "last" version:
Code:

Enjoy !
 Cool

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

It always hard to evaluate a CTF map because it is hard to predict how it will play. Personally I don't mind some hard turns that for a moment will slow a player down and break the flow. If all maps had constant flow they would all feel the same.

I don't like teleporters generally but I can accept them. However I think something should be done with the exit from the RA room. Spawning head first into a wall can be tiresome:

Perhaps the teleport can be placed a little deeper to allow better navigating then exiting.

I like the small stairs that the attackers may pop out of in the bases.

Visually I like the front bases, sadly very little play will properly happen here, so people will not enjoy it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »

Thanks  sago007 for your comments and suggestion  Grin.

I will edit the teleporter spot to make the player exit from it better.

Unfortunately it's the week-end here and i have to go out and drink some cocktail  Tongue Roll Eyes

Maybe tomorrow (afternoon) i can take some time to edit the map and maybe i'll put a new version online.

Bye.
 Grin

EDIT: unfortunately the map editor give me some error and wont compile the map  Rest In PEACE!
Tomorrow i will make some experiments to solve this issue. Sorry.....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:01:47 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 03:34:12 AM »

Hi everyone. Sorry for double post  Tongue

Finally i've compiled the map, some polygons are gone or are modified.

As you can see from this shoot, now the teleporter is more distant.

I have modified the central place and  i've put a couple of grenade launcher and some ammo.

Here is the Download Link:
Code:

Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: