Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No response of master server!  (Read 46921 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« on: October 22, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »

After I've played Open Arena for like 3 years now (I know, my profile tells something else but I actually never felt the need to make a profile before), I somehow can't connect to the master server anymore.
This event happened a week ago and I still haven't found any solution for it.
I already opened port 27960 till 27970 (and even port 27950) on my router, yet no result. I dropped down my Firewall of a virusscanner (AVG, installed it some weeks before I noticed the trouble), yet no results (except not still being able to connect to anything of OA).
I also tried to connect to servers manually, yet no success.

So how can I play OA again Sad?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »

Are you sure both Windows and AVG firewalls are disabled? Maybe you may also try to (temporarily) disable AVG realtime (resident) scan, too...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:31 AM »

I've reassigned openarena.exe to windows firewall so it should pass through, yet no result.

Any more ideas?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »

You said you opened those ports on your router, are you sure you did that in the right direction?
To connect to master server, a client has to be able to send outgoing packets to remote port 27950, and to get the response (that should be quite automatic).
To connect to a server, a client has to be able to send outgoing packets to the server's remote port (that often is 27960-27970, but it can be any!), and to get the responses.
Are you sure you opened UDP ports instead of TCP, right? OA uses UDP.

In the wiki you can find infos about firewalls starting from here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls
Well, it's mostly dedicated to server admins, but some tips may be useful also for players.
If you know enough about networking, you may give a try to Wireshark to try to understand what's going on (that's not so intuitive).

Another question: does it work if you try scanning servers by using an external tool, as Qtracker?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »

I can see all the servers which are in my webbrowser (and it seems like real-time), but I can't see them ingame.

http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena

I'll check for sure about that UDP and TCP...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »

Wait... form WHERE you "can see all the servers which are in your webbrowser"?
From the in-game server browser? From Qtracker?
The list of servers you see from the dpmaster web site is not probed by your PC, but is probed by dpmaster! The fact that you see the server list in dpmaster web page only means that you can surf the web (outgoing destination http port 80 is open) from your web browser.
(By the way: OAWire addon for Mozilla Firefox allows to connect to servers directly from dpmaster web site)

Also when seeing the Qtracker server list, you should "probe/ping/check" them (I don't remember the command now, I don't have it at the moment).

PS: an "open port" is not necessarily a "forwarded port". To play as as a client, usually you don't need to forward anything! A a client, check your router's "firewall" settings more than its "virtual server/port forwarding/nat" settings.

PPS: Are you sure you are not specifying a net_ip in your OS command line when you start OA, right? I guess a wrong net_ip may cause problems (usually it should be left to its default, it should acquire 0.0.0.0 by default). I find very improbable you changed that, but who knows...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:22:10 AM by Gig » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

You shouldn't need to forward ports. Actually the first thing to try would be to start OA on another computer (you can copy the files on a usb, no install needed, as you probably know). If that works it's at least sure to be an issue on your pc, and not the router or anything.

If it's the same problem on other systems, and their software firewalls are disabled, either your router or ISP is blocking it. I don't know if the masterserver is loaded over udp, but it should be on port 27950 outgoing (be it udp or tcp).

A bit of networking here: To setup a connection (udp or tcp), the client (like openarena, or firefox, or almost everything on your pc) sends a message to the server on some port (like 80 for http, 443 for https, 27950 for the masterserver from oa, etc.). The message also has a source port, either chosen by your pc or your router, and which is (of course) set before it leaves your network. The router remembers this source port (for example 64543) and that your pc sent it (for example 192.168.1.100). When the server replies, it sends it to your router with the source port that was set, and the router recognises it. The router then sends it to your computer where it is further processed (goes through the os, possibly firewalls, but that's a whole other unimportant story).

The firewall by Windows and AVG work similar, only they may require you to confirm a program (such as openarena) may connect to the internet at all.

Now port forwarding is to allow people to send you data (packets). If you have a server on port 27960, the router does not know about that. A packet comes in, but the router has no idea whether it's meant for your pc or your sister's laptop or whatever. So it just ignores the packet. Portforwarding tells the router 'anything incoming on port x, send to my pc'. So this is useless when you are just trying to connect to the masterserver (or any website for that matter, you don't forward port 80 tcp for that!).

Companies may block outgoing ports, so the router ignores any packet sent by your pc (or anyone's pc in your network) to a certain port (e.g. 27950). This is usually not possible (and certainly not enabled) for consumer routers. Perhaps your ISP is blocking the packets for security reasons, which seems pretty stupid to me when weighing the pros against the cons, but they could have. If they got decent support and don't have to wait on the line for 20 minutes, you could give them a call just to check. Ask whether outgoing udp AND tcp ports are open on 27950-28000 (most common OA ports). Make sure you're talking to a technician and not somebody who thinks to know it Wink I've had that before: "of course unlimited internet on your phone is unlimited, only after crossing the FUP the speed goes down". Then be billed 25eur for crossing a hard limit (no FUP). Anywayz...

So in short, try with another pc or laptop. If that works, it actually seems most likely to me that there is a bug in your router that malforms the packets, but it may also be your ISP. If the ISP isn't it, try a factory reset on the router, and don't forward any ports before testing if it works already. Also disable your computer's firewall entirely (both avg's and windows'), the router has a firewall anyway so computer firewalls are mostly useless, and this way you are sure to avoid configuration errors.

Let us know what you've tried when it still doesn't work. And if it works, share the winning solution please Wink
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:14:27 AM by RMF » Logged
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »

Gig,
I was talking about that webpage, so my bad Tongue.
I've installed Qtracker and I'm able to see all servers out there as well (nice program by the way; reminds me of Cube Server Lister)
If you won't believe me; here's even a screenshot from it

RMF,
Well, I've tried to use my laptop to play OA; it somehow does work after disabling the protection of the router. But after trying so for a second time (restarting OA and putting my re-disabling the protection after enabling it again); I somehow can't connect via my laptop either.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:31:30 AM by Suicizer » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »

Hmm, I'm not convinced it's a problem outside of your computer. At first it worked, and later with another test it didn't.. that's weird. What changed in between those times?

And also, what router do you have? I want to lookup what kind of protection it has to see if it can be conflicting.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »

What changed in between those times?
And also, what router do you have?

Like I said; I've closed the router to it's normal settings (only assigned ports are allowed; OA is assigned UDP as well as TCP); then tried but with no results. After that; I've reopened the router, but then it somehow failed to get a connection from the master server.

The type of router is "sitecom WL-351"

I also (just to try) reinstalled OA (0.8.8 version) as it could be a mistake in my autoexec, but neither any positive results.

It's like the master server hates me Sad

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

The manual for that router:
http://www.sitecom.com/download/4624/WL-351-Full-Manual-English-rev-1.1.pdf
Search in that document for ALG (use ctrl+F or so).

What if you enable support for Quake 3? It's not exactly the same port, but as close as it gets. Who knows it does something. I'm not sure what it does differently though, NAT should be no problem. (I've NAT running here, just like pretty much everyone else, and got no issues.)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »

I can confirm now that it's definetly a probem on the router as I've tested scanning servers ingame on my laptop by using the internet access via wifi hotspot on my smartphone (no connection between the smartphone and the router). But because this is a pretty pricy way of play, I would rather use internet via the router instead.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:12:18 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »

What do you mean with "reopened the router"? Do you mean that you went to "Firewall --> Enable" page and disbled it (manual, page 37)? Doesn't it work that way?

Attention, at at page 40 it is mentioned something that would not be very intuitive.
Deny If you select “Deny” then all clients will be allowed to access Internet
accept for the clients in the list below.
Allow If you select “Allow” then all clients will be denied to access Internet
accept for the PCs in the list below.
I suppose they meant "except" instead of "accept".
Meaning that you would have to let "deny" without other parameters to let all computers surf freely.

Other things: are you sure your "NAT" feature is enabled? Did you try turning it on or off? (I think it should be on, especially if you have more than one PC in your LAN)
I think you should not need to setup any "port forwarding", "virtual server" or "special application".
At page 49, it lists "Quake 3" as an "application layer gateway" option. I don't know a lot about it (just taken a quick look to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-level_gateway), but of course, it is a thing you can try.
An "extreme" try would be to set your PC as a "DMZ host". This may cause some problems for the others PC in the network, I guess... but just to do a try...

You may also try to update the router's firmware: go to its support page and select the right version, according to its plate (V1 - 001 or V1 - 002):
http://www.sitecom.com/support/productCode/WL351/?showMoreVersions=1
Then download the latest firmware from the "drivers" section, then perform the update.

By the way, can you type /ipconfig in your Windows command prompt, and tell us what's your IP, subnet mask and default gateway?
Can you launch OpenArena, pull down the console, and take a look if you notice errors or warnings? Without the need to start a match...
Can you check what are your your /net_ip and /net_port?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

I mean I made sure any connection could go through, not just specified ones.

'net_port' is '27960'
'net_ip' is '0.0.0.0'

IPv4 address: 192.168.0.105
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Defaultgateway: 192.168.0.1

I'll check about that NAT and "DMZ host" a little later, hang on.
I've checked out if NAT was enabled, it is. About the DMZ, I'm sure I wasn't using that a month ago.
I did checked of the option of Quake 3 is enabled and I can confirm it is.
I can also confirm that the router is updated, all the way to 2.4.

I've just disabled the firewall funtion on the router yet again, and noticed that I won't get any response of the mater server. However, I did get response on my laptop.
What this means... I have no idea :S.
However, I do get the following error on my desktop:
"Cant use keys or values with a ' " ': verload = <NULL>"
I also have no idea what that means :S.

P.S.
Just to be clear;
I'm not talking about creating a working dedicated server, my problem is as client (would bother you another time with that if necessary).

Do I need to add screenshots or so?

Please some yet some help again?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:04:53 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Marquis De Sade
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »

I had an issue where I had no response from the master server, and it ended up being that my isp that I was using for DNS on my server(ciggaweed) was filtering out responses to/from dpmaster.deathmask.net. So, if I was you, see if you can resolve dpmaster.deathmask.net from your desktop behind that router. If not, try looking up against googles namesevers(8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4). Example via nslookup:

nslookup dpmaster.deathmask.net 8.8.8.8

If that resolves it, then just point your DNS to use googles, and not your ISPs. And file a complaint against your ISP for filtering your DNS(if that is what is happening to you).

Marquis De Sade
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:31 AM »

Marquis had a good idea (I just added it to (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Testing). Try it.

Another idea, if you had that Quake3 option already enabled, you may try to disable it instead.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »

When I try:

nslookup dpmaster.deathmask.net 8.8.8.8

I get the message:

Not binding answer:
Name: dp.master.deathmask.net
Address: 64.22.107.125

Is this what it supposed to do?

Anyway, DNS didn't work either, probably as that's something which isn't within my reach of wisdom anymore.

However, I made some screenshots of the settings so maybe you could find out what's wrong (please)?
If you wonder what those empty spaces are, I've blanked stuff which irrelevant to Open Arena or my desktop or laptop.

P.S.
I appreciate the effort which is being putted in to this and I have to say; I've never seen a game updating their documents that quickly. Too bad this story isn't over yet Sad.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:13:51 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »

Two of those three screenshots look like the same.

The output of your nslookup looks correct (except that dp.master.deathmask.net... maybe you erroneusly typed a dot while copying that here?)...

About the router, did you try upgrading the firmware?
Did you try disabling those port triggering/ALG options? In theory, as a client you probably shouldn't need them...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:49:48 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

Whoops, my bad. fixed that now. Please take a look at it.

Well, you're right about not needing ALG. I'll try out soon.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 04:49:07 AM »

From your third screenshot, I see that yout did set-up port forwarding for OA ports, but the entire feature is not enabled. Anyway, it should be required only to host a server, not to play as a client.
Could you please post the screenshots about your "firewall" sections?

PS: Did you already update your router firmware?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »

From your third screenshot, I see that yout did set-up port forwarding for OA ports, but the entire feature is not enabled.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean?

PS: Did you already update your router firmware?
Yes I did update the router's firmware.

The output of your nslookup looks correct (except that dp.master.deathmask.net... maybe you erroneusly typed a dot while copying that here?)...
I tried it once more and still receiving the same answer.

I'll upload a screenshot of the console after just starting up OA, maybe that helps also (is having IP6 specified required?).

Could you please post the screenshots about your "firewall" sections?

Well, here they are. Keep in mind Open Arena does not reply to the master server also when firewall is just disabled.

I hope this does the job to instruct me a little bit :S.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:21:14 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

From your third screenshot, I see that yout did set-up port forwarding for OA ports, but the entire feature is not enabled.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean?
Simply that in that screen, the "enable port forwarding" checkbox is not selected, so the following lines are ignored. Anyway, you should not need that, as a client.
I tried it once more and still receiving the same answer.
Do you mean you get dp.master? Strange, but it should not be a problem anyway, if the one you type is correct.

I'll upload a screenshot of the console after just starting up OA, maybe that helps also (is having IP6 specified required?).
IPv6 is not required. Well, OA server listing with IPv6 is currently broken. Try using IPv4 only (try uncheck IPv6 in network card settings in Windows).

Another thing, noticing that yellow warning... did you try using a complete "clean" OA installation, without strange stuff under both your basepath (installation folder) and homepath (autodownload and configuration folder, where I see you have 088 patch)?

When something that previously worked in OA, suddently stops working, one has to check his recently downloaded pk3 files... one of them may mess up things.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »

I installed OA clean; I only kept the stuff within Appdata and my very own autoexec (which I actually can't find mistakes that are related to something as verload. Maybe it means a typo somewhere of overload?).

... If that would be the problem (not having the checkbox enabled at portforwarding) then I'll facepalm so bad that my hand stick to my head the next couple of hours.
I'll try out soon but I somehow doubt it, because Cube Engine 2 just runs fine (while you can clearly see that it's also being specified).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 05:01:59 AM »

I installed OA clean; I only kept the stuff within Appdata and my very own autoexec (which I actually can't find mistakes that are related to something as verload. Maybe it means a typo somewhere of overload?).
Well, the homepath/baseoa folder (openarena under %appdata%) is where there is more likely to have something that messes up things in OA...

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »

About that patching; the wiki isn't very clear about it (so what's the homepath folder and what's the basepath folder :S? They previously always were just pasted in the original baseoa of the zip-file to me, as the file provides).
Putting the 0.8.8-patch in the baseoa folder of Appdata isn't bringing any clear result either (still the same error).
Maybe a good way to find out which version your on is just looking at the background of the menu; If some waved-shader is being used (and half of the OA logo is displayed at the right of the screen) - you're probably are on 0.8.8. If some spinning circle on the background appears and vanishes after a moment, then you'll probably are running the 0.8.5 version of OA.
I somehow aren't having the same error in my 0.8.1 version of OA, while I do have it in 0.8.5 as well. So could it be a patch-based problem?

In general, the wiki of OA contains a lot of information (which is great!), but it isn't very organised and clear (like there is a whole story line about how to set ports, while it could also be just a couple of lines after each other). Don't take it too hard please, it's meant as positive critique.

I've enabled the port forward settings, yet no result.
I even desperately deleted all specified things about OA on the router, yet no result (tested that because Open Arena somehow does work on the internet service in college while I haven't specified anything about that anywhere).

It seems like OA just doesn't want me anymore, while I always enjoyed playing so. It looks like the options and solutions are running out Sad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:26:03 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: