Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: community ban list?  (Read 56438 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »

Why posting if not to convince ? Wink

If my opinion makes sense then that's fine ...

Sorry but i'm not running a ban list.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »

As a less than average player I really would rather effort be but into recording stats so I can see if I'm improving or not. I used to come out better in Openarena but I've noticed its starting to attract better player where at times I'm simply outclassed especially on CTF where I think I have it going on, just to have a couple of people who can work in pairs just simply decimate the level.
jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »

i was just complimented being a "f*ck cheater"  \:D/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:22:49 PM by jackthompson » Logged
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »

big assumptions...
most of the IPs are not static
guids are easy to change.
ban list won't work unless you want to ban subnets...
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 11:56:53 PM »

Congrats Jack. Did you fall off your seat Cheesy
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »

We had this guy called "fragger" on today.
He was constantly calling votes by player ID (where can I find the player list in the console?) so we couldn't tell who we were kicking, and he kept on calling them until we spammed him back and he left.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 05:41:50 AM »

i was just complimented being a "f*ck cheater"  \Cheesy/

hahahaha

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Flipendo
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »

[url]i have lame ideas please use them!!!!/url]
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:32 AM »

I would start by looking at and using the UAA Banlist.  I use it on my UrT server.  they are expanding to all FPS games.

Link to the UAA - Join the JURY
http://www.urtadmins.com

keeping cheater on the run.
jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 01:01:25 AM »

i have only seen one hacker on oa and he did not have a particulary good set up for their aimbot.  obvious leading for ping with hitscan weapons...  when g_delaghitscan is set to 1.  but here is an idea anyway without having to modify the source, create a server.cfg rename it servercfg.cfg, write a shell script which uses wget to download the ban list and replace the current server.cfg with servercfg.cfg then append the downloaded file to it which contains the bans.  a ban list updated from the server every time it is started from the script which calls that config making script.  no work except a little writing and adding bans.  i'm not writing the script because i use tcsh not bash like most seem to like.  the best use for such an idea i can think of at the moment is banning people who insult everyone via that, because there is likely only one aimbot, the creator only has it and he doesn't seem like he would unleash havok with it, why do you think he was there when only bots were there?  as to not annoy real players. i actually talked to him and hes not nasty or anything, probably just wants something interesting to do in their spare time same as me.  btw i know about the insecurities in what i mentioned above but its just an idea, fromhell doesnt want to run one, some want one and the insecurities can be mostly worked out with a little extra work and creative thought like only appending lines which start with the proper ban list stuff and dont contain ";", etc.

We had this guy called "fragger" on today.
He was constantly calling votes by player ID (where can I find the player list in the console?) so we couldn't tell who we were kicking, and he kept on calling them until we spammed him back and he left.

the \serverstatus command

the "lack of maturity" guys MUST understand that they're not welcome BEFORE their lack of maturity becoming something else.
I'm not sure you got the logic,

Develop some trivial protection, then it's cracked.
Then develop some punkbuster code, then it's bypassed too (dunno at which point it has been on Q3, and which drawbacks and complication it brought)
Then develop some trusted-dunnowhat, then take the risk to see it bypassed again.

Either you spend your time developing some punkbuster-trusted-dunnowhat, either you just live with the few cheaters there is.
IMO it would be more useful to write a how to deal with cheaters ingame, and spend the rest of the time you spared improving the game in itself.

yes that would be useful, aimbots usually have flaws.  in different fps games i have seen auto aim miss because of certain movements and also at a disadvantage to the aimbot user is their own auto aim.  it will usually lock on from some condition or other and that can be used against them.  the conditions i know of and have seen are: closest to crosshair, closest to player, lowest health, the one aiming at the player.  most public ones mostly dont have all of those but some do prioritise with them, like closest to crosshair along with aiming at player.  aiming at player taking priority.  knowing how they work sure helps.

i feel like i have said too much lol...  i usually only write short posts on forums and only once in a while
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 08:04:42 AM »

My friend uses some pipe command or something when the game starts which manages stuff like this. For example, when a player connects the console prints the users geo location which is always useful. I will speak to him and I have access to the server, it may save some work.
computerquip
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

Perhaps it would be nice to have a useful mod that checks an online database for Banned IPs and adds them to your specific server.
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 11:08:26 PM »

ill need to do some fact checking but...

its my understanding that if the bans are handled externally, ala ETPub/Tremulous...

One could write a simple client/server program that could post/retrieve the bans from a master MySQL/SQLexpress db fairly easily.

It would run side by side the OA server independently. 

It could be done in .Net in a matter of days...for portability it would probably need to be done in java or plain C/C++ (al beit that would take a lot longer)

no code changes to the OA code base would be necessary
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:47 PM »

The problem with this is say person 'x' doesn't like person 'y'. What's stopping 'x' from adding 'y' the the bans list, thus stopping them playing on lots of servers?

JESUS SCOUSE
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:47 AM »

I wish I was good enough to be called a cheater.
Ho Hum maybe one day
lol
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »

I was called cheater by 3 guys on a server once. I've entered, said "Hi" to everyone, didn't get any answer, and when the match ended (I've entered 5 minutes before the match ended) I was the winner, and they said me I was a cheater. I didn't record a demo of that moment, now I'm getting sure that I record every match I play.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

if the ban list is centralized please include demos. Although I don't think I've ever seen anyone get banned on OA. But I too think the bigger named servers should step up and be responsible for their servers against exploits in the game. Us players really cannot switch servers (contrary to suggestions) because the only players gather in mass on selected servers. And no one wants to play a multiplayer game against bots. I've got some demos of wallhacks, although it might be related to vertex lighting or shadows, it was still a wallhack. These tweaks that are exploitable shouldn't be tolerated on public servers. And neither offensive player names and offensive language(like blatant racism, homophobia, etc) in general. I understand this community isn't as big as Urban Terror, but maybe a lack of good public servers (ones that implement common sense rules) is the reason why. If there is a ban list it should be community ran rather than developer ran, it should include demos, and it should be implemented by people that actually care about their servers/game.

Also can I really pipe things into OA?
De@thByBl@st
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

On the surface it always seems like a logical ideal, however, we tend to forget that 99% of the net is running on a dynamic IP and although you can effectively ban inter communities ( cities/states/countries ), it should be obvious that things are going to go wrong one way or another and fairly quickly, they'll either defeat the ban of you'll have one very lonely server. It's no secret that people cheat games, not you, but games in general and it's no secret that that to date we have had little control over it and so far nothing other than PB in this area and PB wasn't too impressive in the QuakeIII realm to begin with. So, someone whip something up. Wink
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »

you could always the remove the ban after a month
KILLIE THE GREAT
Lesser Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

I wish I was good enough to be called a cheater.
Ho Hum maybe one day
lol
when i was still a rail-king, i was once called a cheater by some noob, don't remeber when

KHOTANAS.... They waste precious RSA currency on top class clothing, then burn & tear is days later
AllCoholic
Half-Nub

Cakes -10

/name " All"

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »

You talk about one way to cheat with packets, how can we talk about robustness with any internet application which has to send packet at a particular rate ?
That just means Internet isn't robust by design, not the game.
Some guys just ignore this fact and tend to think "we need a trusted solution !", yay, make a trusted one and it'll be cracked, and if not, it's because your application became trusted to a point it became unusable.

The solution is to get your application being open, customizable, accessible, full of features (that's why noghost can be good), and discuss standards.
WTF if some guys come on it and want to fOH CRAP I TRIED TO SWEAR ON THE OA FORUMS!ck up the thing ? It's not different than scriptkiddies willing to flood some apache web server, the problem is with their manhood, not with Apache Wink

No, what you need are MAC address bans. That way a dynamic IP doesn't help.
It however won't get you rid of sophisticated cheaters like me, but it will get you rid of most of them.

But the question is: With that many OpenArena players who play "fair", would there be anyone left if you started MAC-banning the cheaters?

The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than you think.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates.
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »

since I don't cheat, I'll still be able to play
jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

hopefully will be the case if such a thing is started, i think it would be better to just have admins actually on the server keeping an eye on things having a bit of experiance with cheats before to tell the difference.  i see lots of accusations these days without substance because people seem to believe another without any evidence just look at the score and lightning without spectating the player or taking the time to learn 1 small detail in how the networking works with high ping and \callvote kick /v/jessicara lol
AllCoholic
Half-Nub

Cakes -10

/name " All"

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »

hopefully will be the case if such a thing is started, i think it would be better to just have admins actually on the server keeping an eye on things having a bit of experiance with cheats before to tell the difference.  i see lots of accusations these days without substance because people seem to believe another without any evidence just look at the score and lightning without spectating the player or taking the time to learn 1 small detail in how the networking works with high ping and \callvote kick /v/jessicara lol

put two // or a ~ in front of your name, that will stop morons from calling votes agains you...

The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than you think.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: