Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd situations  (Read 11715 times)
Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 10, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Ok, I have to ask and this may or may not be a bug etc... I don't know but I'll post it here.

1. My main issue that does keep happening, is in insta or DM, I lose the ability to shoot or it shoots a second later but only happens when I aim at certain players. If say player X joins, I try to aim at them, my gun won't fire, it's as  if there is no response at all. Even upon spawning, no shots but it will spawn me so I know the mouse is being read. Plus I have no issues with the mouse at all anywhere else or on anything. If that player leaves, I don't have the issue or not with other players typically.

2. In DM, one or two players can get one shot kills constantly, no power ups. If they just graze me with the electro gun or whatever the tazer is I die, instantly, I mean, just graze, not keeping it on me. Same with shotgun, far shot, instant kill, or any other weapon. Me, I keep the tazer on them and it run it out and it still won't kill them, 6 rockets or more to kill them, yet they blast anywhere near me with one and I'm dead. I guess I wonder if that's a bug or not considering those specific people will have 30 to 8 frags amongst a bunch of players. I was told by one it was due to my ping being slightly higher so It takes more shots from me.

So, thought I'd ask if these were bugs that others have experienced or just me. If just me, then it's on my end only.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

(If I remember correctly)
1. Start openarena
2. Go to the setup menu
3. Go to the player menu

What is the handicap setting set to? It should be 100.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »

What about record a demo of that?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:56:45 AM »

Hi and yep, set to 100 handicap.

Not sure how to record a demo but I can definitely look it up and do so.  Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Demos  Wink

PS: about issue #1... did you try in different servers? Maybe some mod has got some special kind of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Spawn_protection]spawn protection.... or you were in some "warmup" phase...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:52:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Demos  Wink

PS: about issue #1... did you try in different servers? Maybe some mod has got some special kind of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Spawn_protection]spawn protection.... or you were in some "warmup" phase...

Hi Gig,

No, no spawn proc, nothing like that. I have a demo recorded btw of what I'm talking about. I don't want to mention who players were etc... it may be misconstrued that I'm calling someone a cheat when I'm not. I have tried different servers and again, it seems only select players though.
Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »

Yeah, it still happens, seriously ticking me off in game too and I don't get mad that easy in game. Hit someone with 5 rockets, enough to hear the hit for sure, nothing, I get one rocket and done. Same with default machine gun, one quick shot and I'm dead??? Since WHEN does the machine gun do THAT? It takes forever to kill someone usually. No quad damage, nothing, just spawned, hit me with mg, done. I don't get it or it's definitely buggy, considering I've played many DM games, I would lean toward buggy.

Here's the earlier demo.

http://www.4shared.com/file/XAI3G0yD/final.html
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »

That 4shared.com site seems to need registration to download files.
Could you please attach the demo directly in a forum post? While you write a post, click on "additional options" below the edit box, and upload up to 3 MB (.dm_71 extension is not directly allowed, but you can simply place it into a zip file).

Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »

here you go, all my demos of this game have odd issues which you will see at the end which is only 30 sec or so. This seems a constant, most ppl will not die at all, me, one hit im done. As of now, I quit dm, will wait for the rare insta game instead from now on.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »

I've given a look to the demo.
For the first part, they hit you various times before you die (and you "missed" various times)... seems normal gameplay.
For the final part, it may look suspicious, but I think a skilled player can be able to kill someone at such speed with the lightning gun... that weapon has got a very high fire rate and does massive damage if you manage to keep the enemy in the crosshair... it's technically possible to kill someone in less than two seconds. If you notice, you were not moving much at that time (you turned around yourself, but your position didn't change a lot), so you were an easy target in that moment.
If you wanna test how quickly the lightning gun can kill someone, if the aiming is perfect, you can make this test:
- launch openarena
- type /devmap wrackdm17 (or any other small map you wish) in console
- launch a second openarena client
- in the second client, search for servers in the "local" network (instead of "internet"), and join.
- in one on the two clients, type "/give all", select the lightning gun and go near to the other "player"
- aim at the other player, and shoot continuously. The second player will not react (it's your other window!). How long does it take to kill him this way? (Anyway consider that also a single direct rocket hit or a single railgun hit kill someone with 100 health and 0 armor...).
Notes: you may need to use "windowed" mode (ALT+ENTER to switch from fullscreen to windowed), and you may need to set a lower com_maxfps value to have a more constant framerate between the two clients (after the test, set com_maxfps value back to your previous one... default is 90). You may even enable g_debugdamage on the server to see the damage in console.

Tip: if you wish, you can slow down or speed up demo playback with /timescale command (1 is default, 0.5 means 50% speed). With that, you can notice your health progressively going down (and not "1 shot: dead"), although extremely quickly.

Trivia: I think in Quake Live they changed the damage rates of some weapons (including lightning gun) various times, searching for better balancing. OA may probably never modify weapons damage, due to its goal of keeping Q3 gameplay... maybe some mods may allow that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:37:16 AM by Gig » Logged

Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »

I've given a look to the demo.
For the first part, they hit you various times before you die (and you "missed" various times)... seems normal gameplay.
For the final part, it may look suspicious, but I think a skilled player can be able to kill someone at such speed with the lightning gun... that weapon has got a very high fire rate and does massive damage if you manage to keep the enemy in the crosshair... it's technically possible to kill someone in less than two seconds. If you notice, you were not moving much at that time (you turned around yourself, but your position didn't change a lot), so you were an easy target in that moment.
If you wanna test how quickly the lightning gun can kill someone, if the aiming is perfect, you can make this test:
- launch openarena
- type /devmap wrackdm17 (or any other small map you wish) in console
- launch a second openarena client
- in the second client, search for servers in the "local" network (instead of "internet"), and join.
- in one on the two clients, type "/give all", select the lightning gun and go near to the other "player"
- aim at the other player, and shoot continuously. The second player will not react (it's your other window!). How long does it take to kill him this way? (Anyway consider that also a single direct rocket hit or a single railgun hit kill someone with 100 health and 0 armor...).
Notes: you may need to use "windowed" mode (ALT+ENTER to switch from fullscreen to windowed), and you may need to set a lower com_maxfps value to have a more constant framerate between the two clients (after the test, set com_maxfps value back to your previous one... default is 90). You may even enable g_debugdamage on the server to see the damage in console.

Tip: if you wish, you can slow down or speed up demo playback with /timescale command (1 is default, 0.5 means 50% speed). With that, you can notice your health progressively going down (and not "1 shot: dead"), although extremely quickly.

Trivia: I think in Quake Live they changed the damage rates of some weapons (including lightning gun) various times, searching for better balancing. OA may probably never modify weapons damage, due to its goal of keeping Q3 gameplay... maybe some mods may allow that.

Wow very insightful and explanatory.

So it is very possible to kill someone that quickly then, gotcha. Someone in game was viewing or rather, helping me out, said they too thought my ping being so much higher 150-187 typically than others 20-54 ping had a lot to do with it. It got so bad where I couldn't get more than 1 frag in the game, people just wouldn't die no matter where or how long I hit them. In insta,  I was shooting "what looked like right through ppl" with no damage so this ping difference may be a contributing factor.

I will try that out, what you suggested.

All in all, if in fact this is just going to be this way and is not buggy, (even though it's going to royally tick me off in game) I'll just have to deal with it. I've played Cube DM, and others but never had this issue so it's a new one for me.

That said, I'll consider this closed, solved, etc... and just do the best I can and get out my cussing helmet  Cheesy  Wink

Thanks again Gig, much appreciated.

Drastic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »

Sorry gig but after playing tonight, I know there is more going on, I hit someone 5 times with rocket, nothing. I get frags and they don't register in my score, I proved that last night in game when I'd kill someone, it would NOT show in my score. I stayed at 7 frags for most of the game tonight, even when it said I fragged someone. I'm sorry but this game is just more than lag issues, it's buggy as hell. It keeps resetting my settings, etc... as well. I am going to leave it go and just say I've done my best to play it. I only have one insta server left showing now and have for a while so i'm not going to be stuck DM'ing all the time. Ah well, time to hang it up but I do appreciate the help.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:18:52 AM »

Could you please post some other demos?

About the settings: please consider that, after the first time you lauch it, your configuration in a mod becomes mostly independent from your configuration in baseoa or other mods, and when you exit from a match, you return in the main menu of the last used mod.
So, if your name is in baseoa is "bob", and load a new mod (let's call it "M") for the first time, that mod would use "bob". But if then you join a server that is running baseoa and change your name to "Bill", when later joining a mod running the "M" mod, you will find your name as "bob" there.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods

Is it possible your "resetting settings" problem is this?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:36:10 AM by Gig » Logged

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »

Sorry gig but after playing tonight, I know there is more going on, I hit someone 5 times with rocket, nothing. I get frags and they don't register in my score, I proved that last night in game when I'd kill someone, it would NOT show in my score. I stayed at 7 frags for most of the game tonight, even when it said I fragged someone. I'm sorry but this game is just more than lag issues, it's buggy as hell.
I haven't seen any, but server admins using mods can do about anything they want, including resetting your score or reducing your damage. Due to its very nature of drawing players away, such a server would usually not survive long.
Keep in mind that such a scenario (which does exist e.g. even in competitive counterstrike) is not a fault of the game itself.

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: