Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something is killing Minecraft and all Q3 engine games  (Read 10200 times)
G-Max
Nub

Cakes -4

« on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »

Before anyone goes around blaming my Atom CPU and GeForce 6200 graphics card, know that I have performed the necessary tests to determine that this IS, in fact, absolutely, positively, definitely a software issue, and has nothing to do with the hardware.

Most games run just fine on this system. I can play World of Warcraft, Unreal Tournament 2004, Aliens vs. Predator 2, etc. just fine, though framerates are not always ideal. However, when I try to play Minecraft or literally anything based on the Quake III Arena engine (Elite Force, Jedi Academy, Quake Live, etc.), the system starts acting like a 100mhz Pentium. I mean "can't even get past the main menu, which takes ten minutes to appear" slow. Does anyone know what might cause a problem like this?

Yes, my graphics card drivers are up to date.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Maybe some OpengGL-related advanced setting in your video card drivers? Already tried lowering down quality settings there? Maybe one of them clashes with its implementation in Id Tech 3...

Can you try
Code:
/condump test.txt
to export OA console log to a text file, then take a look if you notice something strange?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:10:27 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »

Try to get to the DRIVER INFO in the OPTIONS > SYSTEM menu and read the vendor string.

OA shouldn't even be allowing to run with software rasterizing Sad

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
mikeeschido
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »

Before anyone goes around blaming my Atom CPU and GeForce 6200 graphics card, know that I have performed the necessary tests to determine that this IS, in fact, absolutely, positively, definitely a software issue, and has nothing to do with the hardware.

Most games run just fine on this system. I can play World of Warcraft, Unreal Tournament 2004, Aliens vs. Predator 2, etc. just fine, though framerates are not always ideal. However, when I try to play Minecraft or literally anything based on the Quake III Arena engine (Elite Force, Jedi Academy, Quake Live, etc.), the system starts acting like a 100mhz Pentium. I mean "can't even get past the main menu, which takes ten minutes to appear" slow. Does anyone know what might cause a problem like this?

Yes, my graphics card drivers are up to date.

I have the same problem. The strange thing is that I can run Quake 3 Arena without any problems. But, whenever I launch Open Arena or World of Padman, even the main menu stucks. My mouse pointer jumps instead of moving softly, it's like it would have a framerate of 1fps.

I only found another person with the same problem:

http://laberintodepasiones.blogspot.mx/2009/06/juegos-y-otros-en-windows-7-openarena.html

And I used his solution: Went to graphic settings and selected "Fastest", but anyway, it's still unplayable. The same happened with World of Padman.

Again, I can run Quake 3 Arena perfectly. The only issue is with Open Arena and World of Padman.

Thanks in advance.

A little note. This is my Driver Info:

VENDOR
Microsoft Corporation
Direct 3D

PIXELFORMAT
color(32-bits) Z(16-bits) stencil(0-bits)

EXTENSIONS
GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_SGIS_multitexture

Also, I use Windows 7 Ultimate.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:20:03 PM by mikeeschido » Logged
ToKu
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »

Maybe this sounds silly, but have you already tried to rename the problematic executable file to "quake3.exe"?
Try it! Rename "xy.exe" to "quake3.exe", if this doesn't help, revert the change! Otherwise you can do this to most idtech3 exes (rtcw, ef, oa, etc.)!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »

VENDOR
Microsoft Corporation
Direct 3D

Yeah, you do not have your vendor's graphics drivers installed.  Starting with Vista, Microsoft doesn't supply OpenGL implementations other than their own Direct3D wrapper. (Prior to that, they had a slow GDI driver going from all the way to Windows 95 OSR2)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: