Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION! : Hosting servers, Tournaments... and new guy saying hello  (Read 9503 times)
pickledeggs
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »

My questions are:

-How would I go about hosting a private server for Open Arena?

-Would there be a way to set a server so people would have to be let in by the administrator? (In like to a front door where the guest rings a doorbell and the owner decides to let them in or not.)

-If I was to charge for tournaments, would I need permission? (..or permission for anything else that I am not thinking of?) And if so, how would I go about asking the appropriate people?

Any info on what is involved in doing something like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-pickeledeggs

btw I'm new here to this community. Hi everyone. (I probably should have said that in a different post...)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:23:35 PM by pickledeggs » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »

For how to host your own server, you can start from here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers

For how to make a private server:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Password-protected_servers
You can set a password for a totally private server, or a password for a partially private server, that will be the same for all users. I haven't tried to set both passwords at the same time, I don't know what it would happen.

Usually, people gives (through email, instant messaging, private forum...) a clan's server password to all members of that clan... and using a temporary password (or changing it after the event) for a "clan war" (where another clan is invited to enter the server for that day).

I don't know if there is a way to do what you want, maybe someone else may know better, if there is a way to give GUID specific passwords, or to set "allow noone to play, except the following GUIDs"...
Maybe, using the !Admin system... but I don't know how to use those features.

I don't know about permission for making money with your server. I think GPL stuff (everything you got with OA initial download) allows commercial use, so it should not be a problem. Maybe there may be a problem with third-party stuff (e.g. you may have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Automatic_downloading]autodownloaded it), where the license is often unclear.... e.g. I don't know if the license terms that allowed the creation of mods for Q3A did allow any kind of commercial use.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pickledeggs
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:18:23 AM »

For how to host your own server, you can start from here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers

For how to make a private server:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Password-protected_servers
You can set a password for a totally private server, or a password for a partially private server, that will be the same for all users. I haven't tried to set both passwords at the same time, I don't know what it would happen.

Usually, people gives (through email, instant messaging, private forum...) a clan's server password to all members of that clan... and using a temporary password (or changing it after the event) for a "clan war" (where another clan is invited to enter the server for that day).

I don't know if there is a way to do what you want, maybe someone else may know better, if there is a way to give GUID specific passwords, or to set "allow noone to play, except the following GUIDs"...
Maybe, using the !Admin system... but I don't know how to use those features.

I don't know about permission for making money with your server. I think GPL stuff (everything you got with OA initial download) allows commercial use, so it should not be a problem. Maybe there may be a problem with third-party stuff (e.g. you may have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Automatic_downloading]autodownloaded it), where the license is often unclear.... e.g. I don't know if the license terms that allowed the creation of mods for Q3A did allow any kind of commercial use.

Thanks Gig, that is a lot of very helpful info.

Respectfully,
PickeledEggs
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: