Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130805 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1275 on: December 17, 2013, 04:31:59 AM »

Ok, I'll try to use jpg-format next time.
I only use the oa_akompack.pk3 and those individual ctf maps. There shouldn't be any alpha versions involved (unless that pk3 contains alpha versions).
"Those individual ctf maps" are oa_akomctf2 and oa_akomctf3? They are quite alpha, so in theory they may cause problems. Problems may also occur if you have previous versions of OACMP volume 1 maps or OACMP volume 1 Beta packages.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1276 on: December 17, 2013, 05:27:52 AM »

Akom, this time Neon_Knight is right. We cannot redo half maps from scratch right now. As I told in my previous post, you are so fast at work that you may even succed, but it's too risky to do big changes now: the pack may result with big glitches.

It's already a shame that Moixie's and Jan's maps will be published without their small glitches fixed, but risking to have your maps with big bugs would really be bad.

If there is to fix the color of the light emitted by a few lamps, okay (up to December 20th)... but heavily modifying map structure and entity placement now sounds risky...

OACMP volume 2 maps may be less symmetric than those from volume 1.

PS: Changing the vote of someone? I don't know, try asking Fromhell (I know Fromhell does not like too many PMs, but I can guess a forum moderator/admin may be required for a such task).
... or maybe Neon Knight may change poll rules to allow users to change their vote? On poll creation, that option does exist... I don't know if it is possible to enable it after the poll started.

Why would you actually release a mappack that's not worth to check out by the regular user (due containing glitches, lacking flow, gameplay, detail, lighting, texturing, etc)? It wouldn't stimulate to download any further developed version as you would have seen it all at the first time of checking out.
Do it right the first time or simply don't do so. Eventually it's quality that matters, not quantity.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:38:41 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1277 on: December 17, 2013, 05:36:18 AM »

Waaaaat?
Suicizer, could you please try to play on this servet, so it will upload you a proper .pk3 file with no missing textures?
As to my taste, that RC1 isn't worse than stock OA maps, I cannot comment on 'flow' and 'gameplay' though, it's subjective.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1278 on: December 17, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »

Waaaaat?
Suicizer, could you please try to play on this servet, so it will upload you a proper .pk3 file with no missing textures?
As to my taste, that RC1 isn't worse than stock OA maps, I cannot comment on 'flow' and 'gameplay' though, it's subjective.

There are maps in official OA which have a nearly equal quality as the maps from the community mappack. But official OA contains maps which are superior to those creations as well (think about oa_minia, aggressor, slimefac, oa_shine, pul1duel_oa and even pxlfan lately). It's better to compare the maps to the best content out there and try to pass that, than the content which looks the worst and only gain small steps of quality each time of a publishment.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:16:58 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1279 on: December 17, 2013, 06:14:28 AM »

Suicizer, let me ask you a question.
This mappack has been in development for over a year. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough development time for a pack.
Where were you when we really required your feedback?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1280 on: December 17, 2013, 06:15:43 AM »

I can only agree about oa_shine.
Other maps you mentioned are a pain to play on mobile device - they are too narrow, too clausthrophobic, have too many sharp corners and hard-to-navigate areas. oa_minia and slimefac even manage to be clauthrophobic despite being relatively big. pxlfan is an instant suicide with a touchscreen.
Also, a screenshot with a bug in aggressor.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1281 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »

I can only agree about oa_shine.
Other maps you mentioned are a pain to play on mobile device - they are too narrow, too clausthrophobic, have too many sharp corners and hard-to-navigate areas. oa_minia and slimefac even manage to be clauthrophobic despite being relatively big. pxlfan is an instant suicide with a touchscreen.
Also, a screenshot with a bug in aggressor.

Perhaps you should try the maps on a pc instead. It doesn't seems like OA had the goal to be compatible with all electronic devices after all (can't remember have readen that in a readme or todo-list some years ago), else try to port it to a Gameboy Color.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:25:49 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1282 on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »

Moved to another topic.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1283 on: December 17, 2013, 06:31:27 AM »

oa_akomdm3 is better than aggressor when playing on PC, blablabla I win the argument.
DO NOT QUESTION THE SANCTITY OF HOLY DIVINE OA_AKOMDM3 BEST MAP EVER PERFECT BRILLIANT.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1284 on: December 17, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »

Here we continue with OA and the "PC vs. Console" war.

Back to where we were... the OACMP.

Suicizer, let me ask you a question.
This mappack has been in development for over a year. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough development time for a pack.
Where were you when we really required your feedback?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1285 on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:42 AM »

oa_akomdm3 is better than aggressor when playing on PC, blablabla I win the argument.
DO NOT QUESTION THE SANCTITY OF HOLY DIVINE OA_AKOMDM3 BEST MAP EVER PERFECT BRILLIANT.

Yea, right...
Victory by caps locking.

To reply to neon_knight's question;
I had my own projects running (which some of them still aren't done). Such a shame I still aren't able to split myself.
I'll look at the server soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:49:09 AM by Suicizer » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1286 on: December 17, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »

Yeah. As I've said, the gameplay is subjective, and sometimes personal.
So, how about trying the map pack on this server , and suggesting changes, that mappers can afford in the remaining 20 days?
Map pack on that server is a bit outdated, but most cnages were made in Udestruction map, and maybe jgctf1, Akom's maps are not changed much.
Also, you can cycle through maps in the Vote menu, and add/remove bots.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1287 on: December 17, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

After starting up OA quickly and checking out the server, I've noticed that you get forced to play certain maps in gamemodes which I've never even been aware off (perhaps I am, but it's just not notified). There doesn't seems to be any clear place to view to what the gamemode has been changed or what it even is (neither an explanation of the gamemode) . For example, on udestruction you had to touch some Rune and then you suddenly score a point? Ok...).

I know this is quite off topic towards the mappack, but just reporting...

Couldn't detect any texture or shader errors after downloading the mappack from the server, so I guess the server hosts the correct one.

I've already said what could be improved on Akom's maps. For the maps of Jan; some of them seems not have even reached beta version. I'll try to take a look at them but don't expect a lot of mercy. For what I saw, you need to be an experienced strafe jumper to reach certain platforms so I guess they aren't very newcomer-friendly. They use the same textures over and over again, but just a different colour (which makes it feel dull).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:19:31 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1288 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »

Well, yeah, there's a whole world outside of FFA, TDM, 1on1 and CTF. OA is a game very diverse, but like everything, when it comes to online it always gets reduced to a bunch of maps and a bunch of gamemodes.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1289 on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »

I just made a quick run with Akom's maps with a "clean" OA install, plus oa_akompack.pk3 only. I have not noticed missing shaders/textures.
When I also added OACMP RC1 pk3, I noticed that the sky of oa_akomctf1 changed, switching back to the RC1 version, instead of the latest version (the one from latest oa_akompack.pk3. It ended up showing just stars instead of the Earth). To use/see akompack's stuff while having also OACMP RC1 installed, you have to rename oa_akompack.pk3 to z_oa_akompack.pk3 or _oa_akompack.pk3

I try to spend my own two cents about Suicizer's comments. Of course, I speak in my own opinion, Akom may have different thoughts! There are maybe a few small fixes which Akom may do in these few days, but I don't see the reason for completely skrew up the maps. Probably it's not possible to make a map which EVERYONE will love. Suicizer's help, of course, may help creating better maps for volume 2, but however what one likes, someone else may dislike.

Checked out several maps...

oa_akomctf1
You're a sitting duck when you've reached the centre of the map while running towards the opponent's base. It's too obvious which way you'll navigate due the separated paths while no cover is provided.
You bump your head against the beam above the RG.
Never seen the grappling hook in action, nice. Too bad if it shows of your trail so it's not that hard to shoot someone down using it.
The map is heavily inspired by a map from Unreal Tournament series ("facing worlds", IIRC). I don't remember exactly how the inner part of the bases was, but the "open to snipers" central part was very similar, in the first UT game.
About the beam above the RG, to you mean that structure in front of the railgun (looking to the other base)? I don't know, maybe it's done this way to prevent you from falling down by error if you can't hold your strafe jumping attitude when exiting from the teleporter? I don't know, but at a first look, it doesn't seem a real issue.

oa_akomdm1
The lighting feels quite awkward. There are certain light-sources which appear to emit yellow light, while they actually emit some green light.
Why is the layout symmetrical? It feels very flat as well. I've never been a huge fan of diagonal slopes as they slow down your  movement a lot more than stairs.
The enhancement of the weapon placement seems to be overused around the map (the crackings), perhaps you make it a little more random between each other?
Now that you told that, I looked and it seems that what illuminates the floor are invisible green lights in the middle of the air, maybe alternated with smaller yellow lights which are placed near to the ceiling. Maybe Akom may change those green light entities with yellow light entities, however I would consider this a minor issue.
About slopes, I consider them author's choice, so I don't comment them because I feel they do not really ruin map flow.

oa_akomdm2
Again, why is it symmetrical?
Shaders appear to be messed up, like the shader which shows off the railgun skin in the centre of the map.
The theme doesn't seems to fit the geometry. It rather feels like a space-themed map than a gothic themed map (which the textures try to show off).
Where is the light-source which lights all floors that bright?
What do you mean with "railgun skin"? Do you mean this shader? (screenshot from yours) I don't see the railgun skin there (I know that screenshot is taken when the shader's effect is off, however also when it's on, it does not remember me the railgun), it seems to me the same shader used in a few other maps, like "5 steps ahead". Maybe Akom may have added a thin "trim" texture (a border) around it, to make it look more detailed, however this does not affect map playability.
It's a space map, and like other space maps, there is more light than one would expect from the visible light sources.

oa_akomdm3
Seems to be a better map than the other dm-maps but yet again; symmetrical.
The edges of the upper floors could use some trims.
The light-textures tend to be a bit too weak for the light which they are emitting.
Akom may try to do less symmetrical maps for OACMPv2....

oa_akomdm4
The symmetrical design is forgiven as it's a plane, which should be symmetrical. Then again, the gameplay (item and playerstart positions) doesn't have to be symmetrical as well.
What are those black stripes when you jump off the plane and look up?
It feels like the map misses details on the upper floor and within the ship.
The low gravity really fucks up your play on other maps. Not a good thing.
Which black stripes? :-/
Maybe some other detail may have allowed the map to look nicer, true... However, considering the whole map seems to be rendered at any place, maybe keeping details simple allowed to keep a better framerate. Maybe for OACMP volume 2
we may have a few "mapmodel" objects that may allow to place some more details in maps.
About different gravity: IMHO, a bit different gameplay is a welcome addition, sometimes. I like that reduced gravity effect.

oa_akomdm5
The skybox seems to be missing.
The layout seems to be very flat.
You're able to trickjump on top of the map by using a few rockets, a grenade-rocket  jump or just the quad with a rocket or grenade.
You're right, it's possible to reach the top with a couple of RJ. Is it a problem (e.g. players hiding from battle)? If it's not a problem, it may continue to be this way. If it's a problem, I can guess Akom may add a playerclip roof to the whole arena in a short time.

About this screenshot: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4679.0;attach=4878
I have not recognized what it does show. Where are you, there? Is it oa_akomdm4 and those black is what should be one the "moving stars" shaders (compare with that map levelshot), which for some reason does not work on your machine?

PS: About pelya's server: it's a TEST server, designed to test OACMP Betas and RCs with effective online gaming (unfortunately, this ability of "real testing" has been really used much less than its potential. Embarrassed). And before releasing, maps should be tested in all supported gamemodes (and Vanilla OA has got way more gametypes than VanillaQ3). So, a test server rotation script running different gamemodes has got sense. However, voting for different gamemodes is allowed, so you can switch from "Double Domination" to "Deathmatch" with a vote.

PPS: map loading screen mentions current gametype name. It is possible to check (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Gamemodes for rules of each gametype. Maybe OA3 will explain each gametype rules in a specific menu, but OA3 will be released years in the future...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:16:30 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1290 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:38 AM »

I just made a quick run with Akom's maps with a "clean" OA install, plus oa_akompack.pk3 only. I have not noticed missing shaders/textures.
When I also added OACMP RC1 pk3, I noticed that the sky of oa_akomctf1 changed, switching back to the RC1 version, instead of the latest version (the one from latest oa_akompack.pk3. It ended up showing just stars instead of the Earth). To use/see akompack's stuff while having also OACMP RC1 installed, you have to rename oa_akompack.pk3 to z_oa_akompack.pk3 or _oa_akompack.pk3

I try to spend my own two cents about Suicizer's comments. Of course, I speak in my own opinion, Akom may have different thoughts! There are maybe a few small fixes which Akom may do in these few days, but I don't see the reason for completely skrew up the maps. Probably it's not possible to make a map which EVERYONE will love. Suicizer's help, of course, may help creating better maps for volume 2, but however what one likes, someone else may dislike.

Checked out several maps...

oa_akomctf1
You're a sitting duck when you've reached the centre of the map while running towards the opponent's base. It's too obvious which way you'll navigate due the separated paths while no cover is provided.
You bump your head against the beam above the RG.
Never seen the grappling hook in action, nice. Too bad if it shows of your trail so it's not that hard to shoot someone down using it.
The map is heavily inspired by a map from UT series ("facing worlds", IIRC). I don't remember exactly how the inner part of the bases was, but the "open to snipers" central part was very similar, in the first UT game.
About the beam above the RG, to you mean that structure in front of the railgun (looking to the other base)? I don't know, maybe it's done this way to prevent you from falling down by error if you can't hold your strafe jumping attitude when exiting from the teleporter? I don't know, but at a first look, it doesn't seem a real issue.

oa_akomdm1
The lighting feels quite awkward. There are certain light-sources which appear to emit yellow light, while they actually emit some green light.
Why is the layout symmetrical? It feels very flat as well. I've never been a huge fan of diagonal slopes as they slow down your  movement a lot more than stairs.
The enhancement of the weapon placement seems to be overused around the map (the crackings), perhaps you make it a little more random between each other?
Now that you told that, I looked and it seems that what illuminates the floor are invisible green lights in the middle of the air, maybe alternated with smaller yellow lights which are placed near to the ceiling. Maybe Akom may change those green light entities with yellow light entities, however I would consider this a minor issue.
About slopes, I consider them author's choice, so I don't comment them because I feel they do not really ruin map flow.

oa_akomdm2
Again, why is it symmetrical?
Shaders appear to be messed up, like the shader which shows off the railgun skin in the centre of the map.
The theme doesn't seems to fit the geometry. It rather feels like a space-themed map than a gothic themed map (which the textures try to show off).
Where is the light-source which lights all floors that bright?
What do you mean with "railgun skin"? Do you mean this shader? (screenshot from yours) I don't see the railgun skin there, it seems to me the same shader used in a few other maps, like "5 steps ahead". Maybe Akom may have added a thin "trim" texture (a border) around it, to make it look more detailed, however this does not affect map playability.
It's a space map, and like other space maps, there is more light than one would expect from the visible light sources.

oa_akomdm3
Seems to be a better map than the other dm-maps but yet again; symmetrical.
The edges of the upper floors could use some trims.
The light-textures tend to be a bit too weak for the light which they are emitting.
Akom may try to do less symmetrical maps for OACMPv2....

oa_akomdm4
The symmetrical design is forgiven as it's a plane, which should be symmetrical. Then again, the gameplay (item and playerstart positions) doesn't have to be symmetrical as well.
What are those black stripes when you jump off the plane and look up?
It feels like the map misses details on the upper floor and within the ship.
The low gravity really fucks up your play on other maps. Not a good thing.
Which black stripes? :-/
Maybe some other detail may have allowed the map to look nicer, true... However, considering the whole map seems to be rendered at any place, maybe keeping details simple allowed to keep a better framerate. Maybe for OACMP volume 2
we may have a few "mapmodel" objects that may allow to place some more details in maps.
About different gravity: IMHO, a bit different gameplay is a welcome addition, sometimes. I like that reduced gravity effect.

oa_akomdm5
The skybox seems to be missing.
The layout seems to be very flat.
You're able to trickjump on top of the map by using a few rockets, a grenade-rocket  jump or just the quad with a rocket or grenade.
You're right, it's possible to reach the top with a couple of RJ. Is it a problem (e.g. players hiding from battle)? If it's not a problem, it may continue to be this way. If it's a problem, I can guess Akom may add a playerclip roof to the whole arena in a short time.

About this screenshot: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4679.0;attach=4878
I have not recognized what it does show. Where are you, there? Is it oa_akomdm4 and those black is what should be one the "moving stars" shaders (compare with that map levelshot), which for some reason does not work on your machine?

PS: About pelya's server: it's a TEST server, designed to test OACMP Betas and RCs with effective online gaming (unfortunately, this ability of "real testing" has been really used much less than its potential. Embarrassed). And before releasing, maps should be tested in all supported gamemodes (and Vanilla OA has got way more gametypes than VanillaQ3). So, a test server rotation script running different gamemodes has got sense. However, voting for different gamemodes is allowed, so you can switch from "Double Domination" to "Deathmatch" with a vote.

PPS: map loading screen mentions current gametype name. It is possible to check (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Gamemodes for rules of each gametype. Maybe OA3 will explain each gametype rules in a specific menu, but OA3 will be released years in the future...

There might be more light around on space maps, that still doesn't justify to have no light-source at all.

shot005.tga has been taken at the spaceship map. It was just showing those fast sliding stripes through the air incorrectly. After loading the mappack from the server ingame, all texture error reports could be considered as false.

Maps are often is being loaded that quickly that you can't read anything what's being displayed (well, it loads that fast to me). I know there's a manual to find out what gametype it is, but it has no value when being ingame already without knowing the gametype which you are playing. Perhaps the scoreboard could tell what gamemode you actually are playing (and how much time left before it hits the time limit).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1291 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »

Maps are often is being loaded that quickly that you can't read anything what's being displayed (well, it loads that fast to me). I know there's a manual to find out what gametype it is, but it has no value when being ingame already without knowing the gametype which you are playing. Perhaps the scoreboard could tell what gamemode you actually are playing (and how much time left before it hits the time limit).
A /vid_restart command would show loading screen again. And /serverstatus (from client) command gives various infos about the server, including g_gametype value.

As told, future OA3 may include some in-game help/infos with clearer indication about gametypes, but this is not the thread to talk about new gamecode features (please use idea pit/development/OA3 forum sections for that), although interesting: here we are talking about a mappack.

PS: Knight, what about that "change vote" pool option?

PPS: Another detail I noticed: if one has got "z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures-v5.pk3", a few textures used in udestruction (I don't know if also in other OACMP maps) would look different than what expected (like differently colored blocks): I can guess the reason for this is that third-party texture compatibily package has been done for an older OA version (something like 0.8.0 maybe?), and now a few more textures from Q3A are available directly in OA. Having that pack has the good of showing something in the place of the Q3 textures which are still missing in Vanilla OA, but has also the bad of showing some parts of OA maps with a different texture than the one used by map creator. Not that we may provide any kind of support for third-party packs (except brief mentioning in documentation, maybe?), but just to let you know about this. Note: that pack is not required to play Vanilla OA or OACMP maps, it's useful only to play maps designed for Q3A.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:04:44 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1292 on: December 17, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »

I should include a FAQ with the most common problems in the readme.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1293 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »

I'll add a server message, describing each gametype, when the new map starts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1294 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »

I'll add a server message, describing each gametype, when the new map starts.
Changing "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Message_of_the_day]message of the day" each time? I thought about that, but I did not mention in the previous post due to the fact that would be broken (showing wrong infos) in case a vote changes gametype. Of course, next time map rotation scripts kicks in, gametype should automatically fit the text shown (be sure to add the command at any line, even if that line does not change gametype, to limit the problem as possible.).

UPDATE: An issue I just noticed in oa_akompack. It seems to me that "type" field of the .arena file has been reviewed a bit, but there is still some strange thing: no maps are listed for "team" mode, while all maps are listed for "dom" mode (but only the CTF map actually supports "dom" mode, the other five maps do not have any "domination point", IIRC!). Did you confuse DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#Gametype-specific_configuration]"dom" with "team", maybe? Please check.

UPDATE2: I just had a quick test with all maps, just to search for possible missing textures. I did not notice any of them. But I just noticed a couple of things more:
- Jan's first DM map: there is what seems a small brush misaligment there (first two screenshots). Not really relevant, but I just point out what I find.
- oa_akomdm3: the sky is pitch black (unless there is a moon somewhere and I didn't see it)... maybe some stars may have fit? Not really important, but... (note: do not make changes which risk to mess up map illumination; in other words, in case you decide to change sky texture, don't change sky shader illumination parameters)
- udestruction: now that I changed that area with the columns (third screenshot), I can guess I should have moved a little those two ammo boxes, which now do not seem "aligned" with near things. So I suppose that tomorrow I will give you a V17 with this little change. For the textures of those colums, I have to use those from V16bis, right? It seems to me I was the only one preferring those from V16, while three people (Akom, Pelya and Neon_Knight) said they preferred those from V16bis, correct? If someone has some other small bug to mention about that map, please tell now.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:06:49 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1295 on: December 17, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »

This is the blanck OA Folder that i have (with only my mappack inside):

@Suicizer: As i tell you, remove all other packs and take only the akompack.pk3 and you avoid textures missing issues.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1296 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

Under Destruction beta Version 17 is available for download.

Download here: http://digilander.iol.it/flagraiders/files/temporary/z_udestruction-version17.pk3
Link may not be active forever - This is a complete package: you don't need to have previous versions installed.

Changelog against Version 16:
- Modified positioning of a couple of ammo boxes and of a couple of health bonuses near to the BFG room.
- Added an armor shard on the brick next to the BFG door: I had the impression that brick looked "empty".
- Columns near to the BFG room now do not shine anymore (they are like V16bis instead of V16). I preferred those from V16, but it seems that all the three people who tried V16bis, preferred that version.
- Updated README file.

@Neon Knight: these notes from the post of V16 are new valid for V17:
Neon_Knight, you can use this file to re-package the map:
- All needed files are included (.bsp, .aas, .jpg, .tga, .wav, scripts): discard everything from before and use this stuff (IIRC, in OACMP1 RC1, a couple of "old" un-used sound files ended up in sound/gig01 folder: it has to contain 2 sound files only).
- About sources, the .map file is included in the V16 package... while all sources of textures and sounds (.XCF, .PSD...) are inside the 28.8 MB file you find here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60263008/OA/Under_Destruction_texture_sources.zip (which you probably already have...)
- I don't know which will be the "final" name for each map readme file in the OACMP package: of course you can rename "OACMPDM10_README.txt" to what you need. Note: in case the final "short name" of the proper map will be changed to something different than "OACMPDM10", the readme file will need to be updated.
- Note: .bsp, .aas .map, levelshot and .arena files in the package still use UDESTRUCTION name
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:56:54 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1297 on: December 18, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »

Uhm... Considering it's almost the deadline of December, 20 (content freeze), I'm going to quote myself (from the last part of this post from 04 December), to try to recap the situation.

Now, what else do we need to complete OACMP?
1) A small texture fix from Moixie, for his DM map (on the floor of the "middle ring"? See here)
Unfortunately, we had no news from Moxie yet.  Embarrassed
2) Some fixes from Jan... what they were? Missing ambient music in some map? Adding some machinegun bullet boxes in lateral tunnels of the CTF map? Fixing some brush/texture misalignment in his DM1 map (see here)? Adding "surfaceparm nomarks" or "sufaceparm noimpact" in the shader of the white teleporter corridors of DM1 map? Are we sure all shader conflicts were already fixed? I suppose you should look back the forum for several pages...
Unfortunately, we had no news from Jan yet.  Sad
3) Maybe we have never tested Akom's ctf map after he changed the skybox?
I think it's the famous oa_akompack we tested these days, right? Then, now it's tested.  Smiley I don't know if Akom is planning some other small fix to his maps or not. Note: to test the right versions, in case they also have RC1, people may need to rename oa_akompack.pk3 to z_oa_akompack.pk3 or _oa_akompack.pk3.
4) Updating README files included with all the maps. IIRC, infos in some of them are really outdated, and maybe some of them have no readme file at all yet.
Udestruction readme file has been updated with V17 today.  Smiley Oa_akompack.pk3 does not seem to contain any kind of readme file (except the COPYING -GPLv2- file, in Linux format).  Sad I suppose Jan and Moixie did not provide anything new (still the outdated readme files from RC1, then?).  Embarrassed
5) Who has not yet posted his own source images (.xcf, .psd, etc.) should do.
All my source files are available, through an apposite package.  Smiley I don't know about others (oa_akompack does not seem to contain source images).  Sad RC1 contained only 8 files (.jpg, .xcf) in the "!sources-docs\textures\" folder...
6) Double-checking .arena files, to be sure all maps are shown for the gametypes they should work flawlessy. Last time I checked, I noticed some maps were uder-used: example.... in RC1, all DM maps from Akom are listed for "ffa lms tourney" only.... not listing oa_akomdm3 for Elimination and TDM is bad!!!!!!!! Reminder: there are no particular problems in listing a map for modes such as Elimination, LMS, TDM...
A few posts above, I noticed something strange in oa_akompack .arena file.  Undecided I don't know if Neon_Knight did the tests to fix .arena for Moixie and Jan's maps.
7) Decide the final names to use... as I told months ago, instead of names such as "OACMPDM01", I would really prefer "OACMPDM1" ("trimmed"). Other ideas included names such as "OACMP1DM01" (restarting from OACMP2DM01 for next year's OACMP2 package) and "OACMPDM001". Which one to use?
Poll still active. By the way, the option to change one's own vote?
Cool Creating two packages, one in .pk3 format with the maps and everything required to play, and another one which will include all sources (to save many MB of size in the .pk3). The .pk3 should contain a text file (the main Readme should be adapt) containing a link to download the "sources" package.
Some help needed?
9) Please read this post (and the following ones?) for some other things I noticed when RC1 was made, and that should be checked for the final version (adding map rotation scripts, readme files Windows/Linux format, a strange file position for a sound from Akom...).
I have no more time to go deeper into this today. I have to run now, real life calls! However you can read that post and think about those issues in the meanwhile.  Wink
10) Some levelshots to be changed (e.g. were taken with 2D active, or with modified FOV)?
Will Neon_Knight do?
11) After the "final" package has been done, a few extra days for testing it before saying it's officially released (if you prefer, also an RC2 may fit).
A few days to test RC2 are scheduled.  Smiley Unfortunately, real life will probably prevent me from downloading RC2 pack before December, 30. And I will also be very few active on the forum (I'll try to connect with the phone when I will have some time, but probably it will be near to zero).  Undecided
12) Something I may have forgot?
... something like "how's going with GPL compliance of ANY extra stuff used in the package"? Everything's okay? Are there some textures we don't yet know if are allowed or not??? GPL compliance IS a main goal of the mappack!
Fromhell said won't check GPL compliance of this pack. We are on our own...  Undecided

Another important thing: which will be the name of the final .pk3 file? Important for pk3 loading order, also thinking about future OACMPs may need to "patch" something of this one.

Then, guys? News? Ideas? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:32:01 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1298 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »

The pk3 will have a z_ or zz_ at the beginning. Thast's for sure.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1299 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »

The pk3 will have a z_ or zz_ at the beginning. Thast's for sure.
Note: I'm not 100% sure, but quite sure, that -at least on Windows- "zz_something" does not win over "z_something": a "z__something" or "_something" may look worse, but be more reliable than "zz_something". Of course, probably just a "z_something" may be enough.

Of course, you can do deeper tests.  Smiley Maybe it's better, to do more tests.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:06:53 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: