Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124610 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Anyway, I did not notice any texture problem. Was maybe the "you" in your sentence referring to Adriano intead of to me?

Sorry, my bad Tongue Tongue  Grin

By the way, you haven't answer me yet about the title of oa_akomdm4 "GIG's Nightmare", can i use it ? Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

@Gig, remember to do the map testing with a vanilla folder! No texture packs or compatibility packs! Remember that this pack should work as it is in a vanilla folder!

@Akom, I've finally got the chance to test your beta maps. Here're my thoughts. I'll edit for the other maps as well:

oa_akomdm1 - I like the layout. It's symmetric, yet it flows pretty good. I like also the thematic of the finished map. Very immersive. I really wish I could have that amount of imagination. As a criticism, what about clipping the tombs? Sometimes they stop the speed when you come from the upper ledges.

oa_akomdm2 -

oa_akomdm3 -

i'm doing it listening this http://youtu.be/4M0MOfRxI7g  Grin Grin Grin
This is my favourite version of the song. Tongue

BTW, is that your own version of Hyperblast? Awesome. ^^

Also uploading pics of Underground temple.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »

Second batch of screenshots.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »

Oh no, this map is phone-unfriendly! Stuff that I dislike:
Holes in the floor
Catwalks
Spiral staircase instead of jump pad
Water (or maybe lava)

Well, it's better than maps converted from Quake 1, at least I did not see narrow corridors and sharp corners.

The map is okay if played on PC, my complaints are only about playing on mobile devices.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:12:15 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »

@Gig, remember to do the map testing with a vanilla folder! No texture packs or compatibility packs! Remember that this pack should work as it is in a vanilla folder!
I know. I was trying to find out if that pack may have been the one giving problems to Adriano.

By the way, I suppose various people use it. Maybe also quick tests with it may be useful.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:36:22 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »

Forgot to mention: updated oa_akomdm3 in the D/L links and updated the info on Peter's map.

Oh no, this map is phone-unfriendly! Stuff that I dislike:
Holes in the floor
Catwalks
Spiral staircase instead of jump pad
Water (or maybe lava)

Well, it's better than maps converted from Quake 1, at least I did not see narrow corridors and sharp corners.

The map is okay if played on PC, my complaints are only about playing on mobile devices.
About the spiral staircase, there will be other connections via teleporters and jumppads.
About the water, it's just a small bit, there won't be any drowning. Think on the sewers in am_underworks2. Water is there so a powerful item could be placed there. I'm thinking RG or any powerup.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2013, 03:11:10 AM »

Then my onpy complaint is about the holes in the floor, they are to small to jump there from the first attempt, but easy to fall when you don't want that. Anyway, I should play the map to tell you exactly, maybe they are okay.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »

Okay, I've done three tests with oa_akomdm1, 2 and 3 with bots.
Very nice! I like them!  Smiley

In map 1 (crypt), there is a hole (too small to jump in it) under the quad, that you can use to shoot at who is taking the rocket launcher below (or vice versa, you can try shooting to a quad-camper above you). What about a grenade launcher (a proximity mines launcher would be too much, you say?) in the area (somewhere around that room, or in the near rooms), so one may have fun throwing grenades in the hole? Just an idea...

A thing I would suggest about the map 2 (the space one)... to have more action appening on the lower floor, I would make it possible to also reach the other platforms on the lower floor after you get the quad (and not the opposite)... PS: if possible, using accelerator pads, not teleports.

About the map 3 (the Egyptian one), I'm not sure if the current three bots (from skirmish menu) is the best number, or maybe one more of them may be good. What do you think about it? I don't know.

PS: I would like to see some of them available for Team Deathmatch mode. I don't know (or remember?) why, but only few OA default maps are listed for TDM (similar thing also in Q3, IIRC).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:49:33 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »

oa_akomdm1 - I like the layout. It's symmetric, yet it flows pretty good. I like also the thematic of the finished map. Very immersive. I really wish I could have that amount of imagination. As a criticism, what about clipping the tombs? Sometimes they stop the speed when you come from the upper ledges.

I'll modify the mapWith your suggestion  Cheesy

@Gig: Answer me about the Title of the oa_akomdm4 question, just say yes or no  Tongue

Quote from: Gig
In map 1 (crypt), there is a hole (too small to jump in it) under the quad, that you can use to shoot at who is taking the rocket launcher below (or vice versa, you can try shooting to a quad-camper above you). What about a grenade launcher (a proximity mines launcher would be too much, you say?) in the area (somewhere around that room, or in the near rooms), so one may have fun throwing grenades in the hole? Just an idea...

The grenade launcher is also present in the near room in the lower floor Tongue

A thing I would suggest about the map 2 (the space one)... to have more action appening on the lower floor, I would make it possible to also reach the other platforms on the lower floor after you get the quad (and not the opposite)... PS: if possible, using accelerator pads, not teleports.

To do this i have to modify the gameplay, because i have made the lower floors to pick the rocket launcher and go in to the massacre on the upper floor !!  Grin Grin

About the map 3 (the Egyptian one), I'm not sure if the current three bots (from skirmish menu) is the best number, or maybe one more of them may be good. What do you think about it? I don't know.

If you click on the other bots options you will have more bots, no problem  Grin

About oa_akomdm4  Grin
I think i need some Space Textures, anyone can help me to find GPL'd space textures ?

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:27:07 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

What kind of specific textures you need? I might be able to pull something.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

What kind of specific textures you need? I might be able to pull something.

Some textures that remind Hyperblast original map of UT, or just (free) Space Textures.

Question: in this map i will cut off the gravity from 800/600 (default) to 200, but i'm not sure it's a god idea for gameplay...... i try to give you an "alpha" version asap to let you try yourself....

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

Photos made by Hubble telescope are public domain, so you may use them in GPL-ed work. I don't know though if they are okay as textures.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »

Photos made by Hubble telescope are public domain, so you may use them in GPL-ed work. I don't know though if they are okay as textures.

Ehm, sorry but i mean textures for the Spaceship  Tongue Tongue Grin

For the "moving" space i'm good  Wink

What about my "low-gravity/playability" dubt ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:11 AM »

About the name: a name as "Gig's nightmare" would fit if I would really find the finished map hard: I cannot tell before trying it. Anyway, I think something more explaining the map itself would be better.
Some tips: "Warp Space", "Galaxy Trek", "Space Transport", "2013 Space Odissey", "3013 Space Odissey", "Lightspeed Blood", "Lightspeed trip".

About gravity: maybe, when you will post the first beta, you may do two or three versions, with different gravity, so we may try what would better fit.
Unluckily, I fear in id tech 3 we cannot have zones with different gravities like Unreal Tournament did, so we are forced to do one for everything.

PS: someone already had your idea...
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:1952 Hyperblast-Q3 Tongue
From its readme file:
LOW GRAVITY: DM-Hyperblast in Unreal Tournament had normal gravity inside the ship and low gravity outside,
however, Vanilla Q3 does NOT support areas of low gravity so hyperblast-beta has none, and thus a jumpad
helps going from enviro to the area of the lighting gun. PAINKEEP ARENA however DOES support low gravity
areas, so hyperblast-pka has gravity= 300 outside the ship and normal gravity (800) inside (thanks
for the tip Anthon), so if you wanna play with low grav you would need to d/l painkeep arena mod from
http://www.groundplan.com/pka/ and play the pka version (http://www.flu.stonks.com/hyperblast-pka.zip).
Does anyone ever tried this PainKeep Arena Mod? I don't know it. I've found this download link...
http://download.cnet.com/Quake-III-Arena-Painkeep-Arena-3-0-Full-Install/3000-7441_4-10282443.html
(note: if you use the "direct download" instead of their download tool, it looks like quite slow.. probably in the other links I posted below could be some faster mirrors).
Anyway, one should also find the "-pka" version of the map, to have the double gravity. --> FOUND: http://www.reocities.com/area51/nova/2704/hyperblastq3.html
A such support may be very interesting for OpenArena, it would allow great space maps.

Searching for more infos about PainKeep Arena...
http://www.moddb.com/mods/painkeep-arena
http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/teamevolve/products/index.html
http://www.fileplanet.com/75142/0/0/0/1/section/Mod_Files
http://www.fileplanet.com/181316/180000/fileinfo/PainKeep-Arena-3.0n-Source-Code <<-- PKA Source Code! Unluckily, it's NOT GPL. So we cannot directly copy-paste from it into OA source code. But anyway it can suggest a way to create the dual gravity support. I know this has nothing to do with the Mappack project, but I think it's interesting.
http://web.archive.org/web/20081010181305/http://teamevolve.planetquake.gamespy.com/products/pka/pkahelp/ (PKA Help; move mouse on the left side if you don't see the menu)

PS: http://www.painkeep.net seems to be still the MOD's official homepage. But Avira Antivir says it finds "JS/Redirector.HI.69" while surfing it. Do you think it may be a false positive? Or may them have been hacked?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:52:51 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »

I thought Q3A already had a gravity value for worldspawn inherited from Q2?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2013, 07:01:23 AM »

Uh? Isn't that the option used normally to have a map use a gravity different than the default (800)? AFAIK, that affects the entire map... Do you want to say that there is a way to use it to create different zones with different gravity ("classic" example: normal gravity inside a space ship or space base, low gravity outside), like Unreal Tournament had? That would be great, but I fear it's not in VanillaQ3...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »

Uh? Isn't that the option used normally to have a map use a gravity different than the default (800)? AFAIK, that affects the entire map... Do you want to say that there is a way to use it to create different zones with different gravity ("classic" example: normal gravity inside a space ship or space base, low gravity outside), like Unreal Tournament had? That would be great, but I fear it's not in VanillaQ3...

Thanks for suggestions Gig  Cheesy

I think that double gravity feature can be ok in OA  Grin Grin

For the map name i think it is cool this:"3013 Xan's Space"
Wink
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:18:21 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »

What Lei says is that the value for g_gravity (800) is inherited from Quake II.

It can be possible to give the entire map a set gravity, but not parts of it. And I'm afraid asking for support to that enters into NOTTODO territory.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:45 AM »

And I'm afraid asking for support to that enters into NOTTODO territory.
Maybe, but I'm not sure. Domination and Double Domination were not part of Q3 or TA, but we have them. Same thing with some DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options]special game options as "award pushing" (that is even enabled by default!), "vampire mode", "instantgib", "all rockets"...

OpenArena also did fix some of the original game limitations (e.g. by inventing "accurate" physics), and this may become one of them, IMHO (I repeat, it's just my opinion, I don't want to "force" anything/anyone).
Anyway, I can guess it may be somehow border-line for NOTTODO territory, so I would like to know the opinion of Fromhell about that.

(PS: However, I think it's probable it will never be realized anyway due to the effort it would require... but dreaming does not cost anything!  Smiley Who knows, maybe it's not so difficult do to as one might think... )
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:42:18 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »

Hello OA people  Grin

I'm changing the map structure, but something similar at Xan map in UT because a don't want make a clone map.

Maybe in this week-end i'll give you an alpha version to try.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »

Nice one!

I'll also have these days something to show, possibly for 2/2 or 3/2.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »

As for the stars zipping by i'd suggest a skyroom to be implemented. Q3Map2 can do this. A scrolling shader and a curve cylinder can do the job

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #247 on: February 01, 2013, 10:04:39 AM »

As for the stars zipping by i'd suggest a skyroom to be implemented. Q3Map2 can do this. A scrolling shader and a curve cylinder can do the job

Eh eh, i have tryed this way but, in the compiling process, the editor give me an error.....XD....

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

Ok guys, here is the first Beta-Version only for you to test gravity/playability:
Now the gravity is half of normal.

Download Link:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/90cd4kofhahsfsm2p42q

This version have many bugs and issues, i know...... Tongue ....it's just for testing.
Give me your suggestions.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:28:00 PM by Akom74 » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

a) I don't like that the skybox is like a hexahedron (cube), because it looks strange that in front/back of the spaceship is just a black rectangle black hole. If possible, try a similar skybox (red color):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

b) Hmm a bit more aerodynamic wouldn't be bad for such a spaceship Cheesy

c) Maybe make a boarder there?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: