Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124410 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »

@Adriano: The skybox way you suggest gives me an error if i use patch meshes, i'll try with an octagonal skybox for the next release.

You don't need borders for the window, to fall down you must jump, if you walk normally you never pass.

By the way, my dubts was with gravity/playability, any comment ?

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:28:29 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #251 on: February 03, 2013, 06:05:44 AM »

Updated Version !  Grin

I have worked to fix skybox issue but i've failed, then i have created a visual trick to avoid that issue.
Hope this is good for you all, tell me what do you think about.

Here is the Download Link for updated version:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/90cd4kofhahsfsm2p42q

Please, give me your opinion about gravity/playability.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:29:09 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »

Uploaded to the test server.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

Hi Akom! I've tried the second version of oa_akomdm4 (sorry I didn't test the first version).
Nice!  Smiley I like those graphic effects of the stars and the trusters! Where did you find them?

It's a nice 1vs1 map, I suppose it may be called oa_akomtourney1 (how many characters are allowed for map names?)...

I suppose it may be nice a way to reach the upper part of the ship (external) without the need to rocket jump, and to place some kind of item there.

I have to go now, bye!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

Hi Akom! I've tried the second version of oa_akomdm4 (sorry I didn't test the first version).
Nice!  Smiley I like those graphic effects of the stars and the trusters! Where did you find them?

It's a nice 1vs1 map, I suppose it may be called oa_akomtourney1 (how many characters are allowed for map names?)...

I suppose it may be nice a way to reach the upper part of the ship (external) without the need to rocket jump, and to place some kind of item there.

I have to go now, bye!

Hello Gig.

The stars effect it's possible by apposite script and the selfmade texture Tongue
The thrusters are original flame of Q3A/OA.

In the .arena file i have put 4 bot's name, but in the skirmish menu' you can change this to increase the number.

Actually you can go upstair without a rocketjump, i'm not sure what you mean.... Huh

About low gravity/playability ? No one tell me ?  Tongue

Wink

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #255 on: February 03, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

@Akom74

I've tried it using cpma physics and i can get around well enough. I think its fun to have those 'dare' jumps in it, which are a bit hard to predict because i'm not used to this gravity yet.

It does feel like i have to 'come down and land' from low gravity circle strafe jumping in order to pick up any items, but that could be a plus.

@Gig
Yes you can, the windows next to the top portal, if you time your jump right, you could land one of the side hulls.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:50:23 PM by jangroothuijse » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #256 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »

You should make the streaking stars a darker color, right now it's adding too much visual noise

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:17 AM »

@Gig
Yes you can, the windows next to the top portal, if you time your jump right, you could land one of the side hulls.

Quite dangerous, and without great reasons to do it (except a camping spot). I would suggest some other way to get there, and to place some item there.

About playability, that gravity seems good enough to me. The bot has a little habit of falling in the void, but sometimes I do the same...  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »

The stars effect it's possible by apposite script and the selfmade texture Tongue
Also scritps are copyrighted...

In the .arena file i have put 4 bot's name, but in the skirmish menu' you can change this to increase the number.
Actually there are 5 bots... anyway I tested it and it is funny also with so many bots for a such small map (although it's a little chaotic in that way). Smiley But at the match beginning, some telefrag happened.... I suppose you really should add some more spawn points. It may better fit with 4 bots... however, it may easily be named as a "Tourney" map.

Actually you can go upstair without a rocketjump, i'm not sure what you mean.... Huh
I mean reaching the top... on the roof of the front part of the ship.

PS, talking IN GENERAL (not just about this specific map):
If you use q3radiant for your maps, I suppose it's difficult to place OA-specific items for OA special gametypes (see (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes), but anyway there are some of them that you can add support for very easily: Elimination and LMS do not require special objects. CTF Elimination and Double Domination just require red and blue flags (with the "gametype/ctf" key if you don't want them shown in other gametypes)... for Double Domination, maps don't need to be balanced... just the flags (becoming A and B points) have do not be next to players' spawn points (OA added specific "dd" spawn points for this... but I suppose if no specifc "dd" spawn points are found, the game uses standard spawn points intestead).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:04:53 AM by Gig » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »

- gravity and skybox are well done
- Maybe I wouldn't place 1x5hp on each (let's say) 5meters, but better for example a little pack 3x5hp each 15meters(=jump distance) e.g., because it is a bit annoying walking all the corridor without jumping.  Grin

- The outside textures of the spaceship could be choosen better I think. For a spaceship I have something in mind with a grey simple texture, something like that: http://svenniemannie.deviantart.com/art/Spaceship-Texture-91959740 or just take a look on Google pictures
- The indoor structure is ok, the oval windows looks futuristic and that's good...it would be nice to see the indoor like that: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/sci-fi-spaceship-corridor-3d-max/691516 but that's kinda too hard to make^^ so you can leave it like that
- but I would change the texture around the oval window
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:16:45 AM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

Akom, I just realized you maybe misunderstood a phrase of mine. When I asked how many characters are allowed I was talking about MAP NAME LENGHT. I think oa_akomtourney1 may be the right name, if it is allowed.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

Ehm.... i have made it myself with a .txt file renamed to .shader and with my command line added into to give the appropriate effect, who is the copyright owner Huh

Quote from: Gig
Actually there are 5 bots... anyway I tested it and it is funny also with so many bots for a such small map (although it's a little chaotic in that way). Smiley But at the match beginning, some telefrag happened.... I suppose you really should add some more spawn points. It may better fit with 4 bots... however, it may easily be named as a "Tourney" map.

There are only two spanpoint, it's a beta version  Tongue . Of course i will place more spawnpoint in the future release  Grin

For the gametype entity it's not a problem, my maps are FFA and TOURNEY.

For map name lenght i think it's good about 15 letters, but i'm not sure...

@fromhell: No problem, i think blue gradient will be better  Smiley

@Adriano: i will modify the map with some of your suggestons.....
..... you give me a "plastic" idea...  Tongue  Grin Grin

@Neon_Knight: Can't wait to try your map !!  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:29:56 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:06 AM »

Ehm.... i have made it myself with a .txt file renamed to .shader and with my command line added into to give the appropriate effect, who is the copyright owner Huh
Reading that, it looks like you are the only copyright holder, so you can release it with any license you want... in this case, GPLv2. That effect is great, IMHO... when you reach a final version of it, I think you may subit it into the SVN commits thread, to make it official part of future OpenArena releases. I suppose you may even post more versions of it, with stars of different colors (white/gray/blue)?

I thing I would tweak, instead, is the teleporter texture. Attached here, you can find the pk3s with two ideas about how to try to change it a bit (just temporarily place -one at time- into your baseoa folder and go to the teleporter in oa_akomdm4). They are derived from your image and are GPLv2, too... you can even use them directly if you wish.
I also attach a comparison jpg for who is too lazy to actually test them.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:17:14 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »

Jangroothuijse is joining the crew!

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »

Jangroothuijse is joining the crew!

This is a very good news !!  Grin Grin

@Gig: no problem with my new scripts and textures, in the final pack all will be released under GPLv2 as the mappack itself, right ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »

@Gig: no problem with my new scripts and textures, in the final pack all will be released under GPLv2 as the mappack itself, right ?
Yes, but I don't know where Fromhell is planning to store the map pack in the official OA SVN repository. I can guess it will be stored in a separate folder than the main game, and -for players- it will be available as an extra download package also in future OA versions (I don't know if some of these "addon" maps may be moved to "stock" maps in future, or not).
Example: for the next OA major release (probably called DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3]OA3), Fromhell already stated that all "tribute" maps (at least the "tributes" to id Software games or to the Quake series... e.g. the conversions from Q1 maps) will be moved to a distinct "tribute maps package" download, while the main package will contain "OA original" maps only.

Your hyperspace effect is so good, in my opinion, that should be included also in some "stock" OA3 map... and should be included in the main OA package, so in the future (after OA3 release, so some years in the future) anyone will be able to create an OA3 map using that effect without the need to include a copy if it in the pk3 of each map.
In other words, I would suggest to do not tie this shader to the Community Package only, but to the whole OA... and it is the author of something that has to post it to the SVN commits thread.

PS: What do you think about the teleporter?

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2013, 04:47:31 AM »

My contribution will likely be at least this map:

http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/oajgdm1beta2.pk3

I'm also working on another map, but its far from finished..
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:17 AM »

Yeah, many of us won't reach the first deadline, which brings us to the next question... what about delaying the dates for a week? For example, the first beta was going to be released on February 15th. while the new date is February 22th, and so on.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »

About this version, I like it, but:
- Skybox is nice. Just wondering if it is possible to create it with an higher resolution (I suppose that may require to set a different "scale" to compensate), to make it less "pixelled" when looking at the sun using the zoom (see screenshot)? Not a real issue anyway.
- It looks like, in the outer corridors, the actual teleporter (invisible) entities are placed in the middle of the corridor, instead of next to the outer door. Is there a reason for that?
- I noticed a couple of places (see screenshots) where some little white dots appear along an edge... Some other OA maps have similar small glitches (e.g. a dorrway arch in the strange house map)... I don't know if there is a way to avoid them.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »

Yes, but I don't know where Fromhell is planning to store the map pack in the official OA SVN repository. I can guess it will be stored in a separate folder than the main game, and -for players- it will be available as an extra download package also in future OA versions (I don't know if some of these "addon" maps may be moved to "stock" maps in future, or not).
Example: for the next OA major release (probably called DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3]OA3), Fromhell already stated that all "tribute" maps (at least the "tributes" to id Software games or to the Quake series... e.g. the conversions from Q1 maps) will be moved to a distinct "tribute maps package" download, while the main package will contain "OA original" maps only.

Your hyperspace effect is so good, in my opinion, that should be included also in some "stock" OA3 map... and should be included in the main OA package, so in the future (after OA3 release, so some years in the future) anyone will be able to create an OA3 map using that effect without the need to include a copy if it in the pk3 of each map.
In other words, I would suggest to do not tie this shader to the Community Package only, but to the whole OA... and it is the author of something that has to post it to the SVN commits thread.

PS: What do you think about the teleporter?

Maybe effects, textures and other stuff will be placed in a patch, for compatibility.

Don't know about the teleporter texture, maybe i will change it with another better.
Your textures are too much full of points.

About oa_akomdm4, i'm working to retexture it.....  Grin
Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »

... they are supposed to resemble a sky with stars, or some sort of  "white noise"...
Anyway thery are just examples... Smiley

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

Thanks for the feedback

About this version, I like it, but:
- Skybox is nice. Just wondering if it is possible to create it with an higher resolution (I suppose that may require to set a different "scale" to compensate), to make it less "pixelled" when looking at the sun using the zoom (see screenshot)? Not a real issue anyway.
Yes i noticed that too, i think the GIMP just did a horrible job on the effect, i shall try to recreate the effect at a higher resolution and then scale back to normal, or tweak the effect.
- It looks like, in the outer corridors, the actual teleporter (invisible) entities are placed in the middle of the corridor, instead of next to the outer door. Is there a reason for that?

If you mean the to interconnected teleporters (in the 'tunnels') it has 2 reasons:
  • I wanted to create a 'end of tunnel' ilusion, where you see a white light at the end of the tunnel that after teleporting corresponds with the exit
  • To minimize telefragging
Else can you elaborate a bit more?

- I noticed a couple of places (see screenshots) where some little white dots appear along an edge... Some other OA maps have similar small glitches (e.g. a dorrway arch in the strange house map)... I don't know if there is a way to avoid them.

I've looked at with OA and ioquake3, and i can confirm the existence of these things...
Yes, those seam to be seams, so it seems you are seeing the skybox. Which should be geometrically impossible, because or floor part have a depth, and even if there is a tiny crack between things, one should see the sides of the floor parts and not the skybox.

It gets even worse, the middle picture the brown ground brush actually extends to under the black pillar....so...well...i'm a bit clueless as to how to fix this, aside from turning on AA ofc...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:53:30 PM by jangroothuijse » Logged
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

Yeah, many of us won't reach the first deadline, which brings us to the next question... what about delaying the dates for a week? For example, the first beta was going to be released on February 15th. while the new date is February 22th, and so on.

You are right.
Good idea to shift the dead line!
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »

I hope to see other work before the deadline.....
We have to betatest it or not ? Tongue

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

And I would like oa_akomdm3 officially released Cheesy anyway, shifting the deadline is a good idea, otherwise Akom74 will get all the glory Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: