Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124363 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »

UT2004 vehicles were good, useful and fun to play, however vehicles in Xonotic are not quite that good (yeah, I'm comparing high-budget commercial game with fan project here).
Vehicles are not only for fast moving around the map (that mosquito Manta vehicle or jeep are weaker than a rocket launcher, and can be blown-up easily).
The most useful vehicle was an artillery truck - slow, poorly armored, and with devastating firepower. Next to it was a tank - a slow-moving chunk of armor with 800 health and a cannon slightly weaker than a rocket launcher, used to protect said artillery truck.
Then, there were flying vehicles - it's an awesome idea, however they had awful controls in both UT2004 and Xonotic. I guess you need to create a Battlefield-style game for a good helicopter simulator.
Then, there are such things in Battlefield like mine launchers or turret-mounted chainguns, - essentially a stationary turret, which sometimes may be moved by player or two players, with lot of effort. I would prefer them in OA over vehicles.
Anyway, implementing vehicles or turrets requires huge effort, I guess everyone understands that, even if we'll borrow models and pieces of code from Xonotic. I can help you with coding (especially with "borrowing" part), but we need to get clear idea what we want to do first - it's better to have one properly implemented velobike or skateboard in OA than five crappy flying jumping tanks or helicopters, such as Centipede from Xonotic, or Manta from UT2004.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

and then there's the player animation requirement. I'd have to make frames of sitting in various positions for everyone

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

I think it's time to try other mappers creation, can we try them ?

You're right. I had some time today and I spent it all to mapping. I finally finished the 2 maps (which were already finished --') I promised to post in December. Here they are: Mx1dm5 and Mx1ctf8_1 (fixed)

the space map (mx1dm5) is IMO "finished". I don't see how to improve it, it's playable and fun with bots (didn't test yet with real players, but it should be even better).

The other (mx1ctf8_dm1, dunno how to describe it) isn't really finished:
* I have to add team indicators in each base.
* the map feels empty, it would need some ammos and other unuseful items.
* There are only 4 weapons: rocket, lightning, plasma and shotgun.
At least I'll be able to see if it's playable or not online, and how to improve it. the last version of it s***** c**** in d***** j**** of the g***.

I wish you good tests.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:37:49 PM by Moixie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »

Yay! I'll upload them to the D/L hosting.

Now, this prompts me to finish what I'm doing.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »

Tested quickly Tongue

The arch need more details (my opinion)

As you see from the shot, the yellow circle indicate a very dark place, maybe it's my old monitor, i think that part need one light. The red circle indicate the bottom of the "door"..... i think it's better to place another texture, just an idea Tongue

Why don't you insert another light at the other side ?
It would be more lighted, no ? Tongue

Warning !

You forgot the .arena file for Mx1ctf8_1 and the .aas file as a different name  Huh

By the way, you have done a very good job  Grin Grin Grin

Question: I need the skybox of Mx1dm5, where i can find it ?
(i know that's Annoice1 texture, but i can't find in OpenArena's .PK3, or maybe the relative script... Embarrassed.... )

EDIT: Nevermind, i've found it in mc_oa.shader Tongue Tongue  Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:43:52 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

Hello !

Question: I need the skybox of Mx1dm5, where i can find it ?
(i know that's Annoice1 texture, but i can't find in OpenArena's .PK3, or maybe the relative script... Embarrassed.... )

Well, how to say that? When it's about writing scripts, I'm a big shit. I tried several ways but I never got what I wanted. So here is what I did: I opened the "mc-oa.shader" in the pak0 to see to the anoice script. I saved the folder before I modify anything. I modified the anoice1 script, I saved the modification and started to compile my map with the anoice1 texture (to be honest, I didn't understand anything. I tried 5 times before it works). Once compiled, I replaced the modified "mc-oa.shader" by the original one, the map didn't need the modified shader to work so you can't find it. Here is the modified file:

Code:
textures/anoice1/anoice1
{
qer_editorimage textures/anoice1/anoice1.tga
q3map_lightimage textures/skies/skywater.tga
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm sky
q3map_surfacelight 150
q3map_globaltexture
q3map_sun 1 1 1  32  60  35
skyparms env/anoice1/anoice1 - -
{
map textures/skies/anoice1.jpg
blendfunc filter
tcmod scale 3 2
tcmod scroll .01 .02
rgbgen identity
}
}

The red circle indicate the bottom of the "door"..... i think it's better to place another texture, just an idea Tongue

In the first version of the map, I used a door texture which came from the "13vast" map. However, the maps we do, have to be under GplV2, so I couldn't use the 13vast texture and I used the best Oa texture I could find. Then, if you know or have another one which better fits, I'm interested.

The arch need more details (my opinion) [...] i think that part need one light.

I will try to detail it more. I will add some light on the jumpad under the door too.

Warning !

You forgot the .arena file for Mx1ctf8_1 and the .aas file as a different name  Huh

It's even worse, the .bsp isn't the right one. Well, you played to the wrong version of the map.
I'm going to fix that.

ps: The .pk3 problem is fixed ! Now you can play to the right version.

pps: I gave a look to the mx1dm5 (space-map) pk3, it seems like I can't succeed on my the first try, it also had a problem. If I understood well, a 13vast texture was used as the floor texture. This specific textures exists in the default Oa textures under another name, I replaced it. and I made another pak3. I replace the download link upper.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:36:46 PM by Moixie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #331 on: February 18, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »

mx1ctf8_t1:
Maybe a little too much cahotic (I tend to die quite often, playing with level 4 bots), but nice small CTF map. Does the regeneration powerup spawn a little too frequently maybe?

mx1dm5:
Very small, but not bad. But it seems bots do not like to use the jump-pads, so very little action happens on the upper floor. Already tried to place item_botroam entities?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #332 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »

@Moixie: Unfortunately, our Big problem it's about textures  Tongue

I suggest to remove the rocket launcher near the flag, players start with a shotgun and near the flag they can find the lightning and the other rocket launcher is down the stairs near the flag.
I think you can add some plasmagun ammo, i have see no one.

Now the CTF one it's better than before, more "large"  Grin Grin

In both af this maps i have no hear any music.

Quote from: gig
mx1dm5:
Very small, but not bad. But it seems bots do not like to use the jump-pads, so very little action happens on the upper floor. Already tried to place item_botroam entities?

There are too much items, and BOTs are attracted from them than other empty part of the map.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:46:20 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #333 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »

Yay! I'll upload them to the D/L hosting.

Now, this prompts me to finish what I'm doing.

Can't wait to see your job !!  Grin Evil Grin  Tongue

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:51:24 PM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2013, 01:49:15 AM »

Looks nice. Add more blue pillars of light, they look awesome.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »

New version of oajgdm2:
http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/oajgdm2beta.pk3

Streamlined the item placement and colors, should be less chaotic now.
Fixed some of the other issues, teleporters are not changed yet.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »

oajgdm2: it plays better now, items are distributed across the map more uniformly, and after some time playing it with bots, I don't feel so lost on how to get from point A to B.
I like that you can jump between almost all upper-level platforms without falling down.
I've seen you fixed diagonal jump pad, but the teleporters still look like a piece of black wall. They should have some different texture, or at least some neon lamps around them.

I did not test Moixie maps yet.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2013, 09:45:30 AM »

News...

For travelling reasons, I won't be able to release the first beta in February 22th. Should we delay the release date for February 23, or keep it in 22 with me uploading the beta in February 21?

My maps aren't still ready (hopefully at least one of them will be for the release date, I'll delay the other two for the next date), and Peter has to finish what he has (we have the .map file for a first peek, anyway).

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »

New version of oajgdm2:
http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/oajgdm2beta.pk3

Streamlined the item placement and colors, should be less chaotic now.
Fixed some of the other issues, teleporters are not changed yet.

Now it's really better !!  Grin Grin
The map is without music  Tongue

Very good job.

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »

February 23 is okay for me Smiley although map authors should have the word here.
It feels like we'll have another beta instead of the final release in two weeks, I don't have any objections for more polished release.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

Exactly, there's going to be two betas before the final release. The dates are in the wiki page linked at the first post.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »

Exactly, there's going to be two betas before the final release. The dates are in the wiki page linked at the first post.

Have we to do one pack with our maps ? Or in the final release all maps will be filled in only one PK3 file, maybe even as an official patch file ?

The COPYING file i found in OA folder it's the one that you need in our PK3 ? Can we use it ?

Sorry for questions, but for the final release all have to be perfect Tongue  Grin

P.S.: I'm working to fix my maps with betatesters suggestions.

Wink

EDIT: This community mappack have to be named like [CMP] (Community Map Pack) ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:07:55 PM by Akom74 » Logged

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »

Good name, it is a bit close to CPM though...
We should probably also use matching artwork in the levelshots...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:16:05 PM by jangroothuijse » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

Have we to do one pack with our maps ? Or in the final release all maps will be filled in only one PK3 file, maybe even as an official patch file ?
All the maps will be placed into a single PK3 file. About the official patch, that's something fromhell has to decide. Tongue
Official or not, it will be released in the specified dates.

The COPYING file i found in OA folder it's the one that you need in our PK3 ? Can we use it ?
The beta releases will contain them. But with the assets + asset sources ATM it's OK.

Sorry for questions, but for the final release all have to be perfect Tongue  Grin
No need to be sorry. All questions are welcome.

P.S.: I'm working to fix my maps with betatesters suggestions.
:thumbup:

EDIT: This community mappack have to be named like [CMP] (Community Map Pack) ?
It's OACMP, short for OpenArena Community MapPack. Tongue

Good name, it is a bit close to CPM though...
We should probably also use matching artwork in the levelshots...
There's a lot of CMPs for many games called "Community Map Pack" or "Community Bonus Pack". I've figured out we should start with a mappack before including other assets such as models/skins.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »

OK, main layout is finished now (except some minor glitches @ base floor in main hall to mirror the map for the 2nd base).
I hope to make a beta release on weekend, so we were just in time.

What you can expect
- a _real_ beta. Just the layout is done
- no lightning
- no items/weapons
- hopefully some working jumppads Wink

What to do next
- many detail work on brushes
- lightning
- item placement

Feel free to take a look inside the map file!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »

Well, take your time to work on it, and release it later. I'm coming out with two maps for the second beta as well.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »

Excuse me, I was curious to know how the guys here that use q3radiant to create OpenArena maps work with textures. Working with standard Q3 textures is a mess, because the final look may look somehow different than what you see in the editor, and sometimes brings to "missing" textures (due to the texture compatibility goal being not yet completed). And does not allow to use textures that may be part of OA but not of Q3A.
And what about md3 models? Considering we cannot use md3 items that come with q3radiant in these maps (that aim to be 100% GPL, and I suppose models from Q3 are not), did you manage to throw in OA md3s in some way, or do you simply avoid using md3 models at all, and do everything with radiant brush work?

How do you manage this, guys?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:51:08 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »

I use netradiant with the Q3A/TA package, so indeed the wrong textures.

I've solved this by putting the evil*.pk3 files in the right dir, and only occasionally browse OA's textures (which i have unzipped so i can search) to find more textures (which i then add one-at-a-time). But my texturing has been pretty simple so far.

I've used one original q3 md3 model (for a teleporter), which i replaced by some brushwork to make it work in OA.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

No probs here.
I installed OA twice - one version just for the radiant (untained from other textures).
But i never had problems with textures or models, so i do not understand your question the way it could ment?!

[Edit]

I Did it.
Remember: no lightning, no detail brushes and so on.
I also have to modify the walls Sad
I have to lower them for 32 Units.

All Files included - also the right license. But i missed a screenshot Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:34:34 PM by Peter Silie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »

I one version just for the radiant (untained from other textures).
But i never had problems with textures or models, so i do not understand your question the way it could ment?!
Which radiant? q3radiant? gtkradiant? netradiant?

PS: about your map: nice, but check the jump pads... at least two of them do not work! And all of them have missing textures.
Also, there are little areas of wall instead of metallic outside the lower corners of the doorways.
And I found a glitch, maybe overlapping brushes (see screenshot).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:26:16 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: