Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124446 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »

Do it. Easter eggs are always welcome. Tongue

I might sneak one or two in my maps. I love them.

Grin Grin

Quote from: Neon_Knight
First screenshot of my CTF map. Bioxide. It's set in some kind of laboratory/water treatment facility. I've finished the structure in November, but I'm starting with the texturization now.

It will be a large map ? I mean, for 12-24 players ? It seems quite large.
I like it ! Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »

It has plenty of areas, seven in total (3 per base, plus the central), but I don't think it will be too large. I'd say it's a 5on5 map.

I'm focusing on trying to reach performance, good playability and good looks.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »

Grin Grin

What do you think ? Anyway, in the map the banners will have the transparent effect without the black colour.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:10:54 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »

Sorry for the double post, but this morning i've completed the map and want to let you try it Cheesy

Code:
https://www.box.com/s/jur19slylgpa4kffchjh

Tell me if you like it and if it is bugs or other issues.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:11:11 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2013, 04:56:24 AM »

D/Ling, checking later.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »

Hello everybody! Happy new year!

I'm back, but I'm quite in hurry... I just want to ask Akom if he enabled bloom and flares in his OA client.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Flares
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Bloom

Please notice: in OA 0.8.alien Bloom works only if you first forced r_texturebits 32, else it will be automatically disabled.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »

Did a bit more of work in bioxide.

I'm starting to fill the central area.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »

A name of a map of yours so similar to one other forum user name (Biox1dE)? May it create a bit of confusion? Or is the map based upon an idea from Biox1dE?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »

I just happened to choose that name from a list of names I've left on the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Map_Ideas#Map_Name_Ideas]Map Ideas page on the wiki. Never thought about that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:33:55 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »

Hello everybody! Happy new year!

I'm back, but I'm quite in hurry... I just want to ask Akom if he enabled bloom and flares in his OA client.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Flares
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Bloom

Please notice: in OA 0.8.alien Bloom works only if you first forced r_texturebits 32, else it will be automatically disabled.

The flare effect dosen't work, don't know why, the bloom effect give me some graphic error, maybe is my graphic card Tongue

By the way, in the PK3 you can find the .map file, try to apply some effect. May be you're more lucky than me. I have try with script/shaders but nothing work..... Embarrassed .....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Neon_Knight: Your map seems nice to play, i'll try it when it's done !!  Grin Grin

Someone tried the map i've posted ? It's ok ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2013, 02:40:27 AM »

Akom, I've just given it a very quick try. Simple and nice.
I noticed a graphic glitch in the central hole of the upper floor (you probably already noticed it).
It may be nice to add location names (e.g. "upper floor" and "lower floor"), and support for gametypes as Domination and Double Domination.

Anyway, I must ask you.... from where do those textures in the pak come from?

PS: If possible, it may be nice to create the "messages" (e.g. "Akom was here") using less "plain" fonts, like using Photoshop layers "blending options"...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:47:04 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2013, 03:08:18 AM »

Akom, I've just given it a very quick try. Simple and nice.
I noticed a graphic glitch in the central hole of the upper floor (you probably already noticed it).

Yes, i've noticed already this error, i'll fix it soon. Tongue

Quote from: Gig
It may be nice to add location names (e.g. "upper floor" and "lower floor"), and support for gametypes as Domination and Double Domination.

In this little map it's irrelevant give names at locations, you are dead first of read the location names. Smiley Smiley

Anyway, I must ask you.... from where do those textures in the pak come from?

From the Evil Lair textures pack. Can not use it ? As Neon_Knight said, most of evillair's packages are in OA by way of being GPL'd for Nexuiz.

PS: If possible, it may be nice to create the "messages" (e.g. "Akom was here") using less "plain" fonts, like using Photoshop layers "blending options"...

I know, i have to use another fonts Tongue ....i'm watching around for other fonts type.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2013, 03:31:17 AM »

More than the fonts themself, I was talking about "special effects" over them. Any font type, by itself, can change the shape, but anyway it's one-plain-color. One has to use programs that allow "wordart" or layer options or rendering options to give them more "deep", like a different color outline or a shadow.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »

More than the fonts themself, I was talking about "special effects" over them. Any font type, by itself, can change the shape, but anyway it's one-plain-color. One has to use programs that allow "wordart" or layer options or rendering options to give them more "deep", like a different color outline or a shadow.

Nevermind at the fonts effects, don't think this way now.

First of all, i want to be sure that i can use the Evil Lair textures without problem, what do you think about that ? Tell me please.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »

Please give us a link to the file you downloaded, so we can take a look if it contains some licensing infos.

PS: are you sure they are not already in OA? With the fact you are using Q3Radiant, are you sure you are using OA textures while mapping?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:54:46 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2013, 05:50:00 AM »

Now they're linked in the first post.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:54 AM »

Please give us a link to the file you downloaded, so we can take a look if it contains some licensing infos.

PS: are you sure they are not already in OA? With the fact you are using Q3Radiant, are you sure you are using OA textures while mapping?

Well, i've download it from http://www.evillair.net/v2/ (official site)
Maybe not all textures was released with GPL. Eventually i will insert the readme.txt with the map.

I have copy/paste the textures from OA to Q3Radiant directory in a new istallation.
To test the maps i make, i have a blank Openarena 0.8.8 istalled.

Wink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:24:24 AM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:11 AM »

You should have checked out the Nexuiz packages instead. D/Ling from evillair's page isn't recommended if we're going to stick up with GPLv2.

I shall upload the GPLv2 textures somewhere else.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

Uhm... at the bottom of Evillair textures page, I read "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.". I suppose CC-NC-ND is NOT compatible with GPL at all.
And when I try do download one of those packages, I have to agree to these conditions:
[Copyright/Permissions]
-You may not edit, modify any textures within this archive unless given permission to do so by the author.
-You may not use these textures as base for your own.
-You may convert these textures to other game formats but only with the author's permission.
-You may rename the textures.
-You may use these texture in your maps/mods/tc's as long as you give me credit.
-I encourage you to edit the .shader to suit your needs.

So, it seems you can use them in your own maps, without modifying them, and giving credit to "Evil lair" (e.g. writing in your readme "Textures a.jpg, b.tga, c.jpg in textures/akom3ctf/ folder are property of Yves Allaire aka Evil lair -http://evillair.net-"), but that cannot be applied to this map pack: it wants to be somehow an "official" OA expansion and so everything has to be available under GPLv2.
One may ask Evil lair to re-license them under GPLv2, now... but I don't know if he would agree.

G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »

ND and NC are non-free clauses.
Yes, try to ask Evil lair to relicense them under GPLv2, this is the better starting point.

A wiki about free (as in free speech) games: https://libregamewiki.org/
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=486.msg3060#msg3060
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1405.msg10544#msg10544
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1388.msg10515#msg10515

evillair textures nicked from Nexuiz (NOT from his own page) are allowed into OA.

G One
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »

evillair textures nicked from Nexuiz (NOT from his own page) are allowed into OA.

Are them released under GPL or some other libre license?

A wiki about free (as in free speech) games: https://libregamewiki.org/
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »

It seems that someone  have asked directly to Evillair by e-mail and him responded positively, we only have to insert him in mappack (or PK3) credits.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »

For convenience's sake, here're the evillair textures nicked from Nexuiz's last SVN snapshot: http://depositfiles.com/files/ezg1k1ouu. It doesn't includes the bump, gloss and normalmaps. OA doesn't need them.

Also, among Nexuiz's documents there's also the permission to use SimonOC's egyptsoc package:

Hello,

greetings from a conference in greece. I just got permission from Simon O'Callaghan to distribute the textures from http://www.simonoc.com/pages/materials/tpegypt/index.htm under the terms of the GPL with future versions of Nexuiz, provided classical attribution is given and that the game documentation includes a link to http://www.simonoc.com/pages/materials.htm so artists can find his stuff.

Thanks alot Simon!

This is good news, as some Nexuiz community maps use these textures, albeit as of yet licensed under a GPL-incompatible Creative Commons license.

Does anybody feel like creating bumpmaps/normalmaps and glossmaps for that set of textures?

-- SavageX

So I've uploaded them too: http://depositfiles.com/files/nti9zh9av

It includes said file.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »

If they weren't GPL, then I wouldn't have included them in the first place.  That said, the license on the packs available through his site are different and the ones Nexuiz used were GPLed on appeal in 2005. (though no psd sources, I have a feeling it was a "ok just shutup they're gpl now can you please stop bugging me" response)  That is why OA is limited to having those particular evillair textures and nothing else.

However in retrospect, I fear using the evillair textures pose another problem - the 'game looks same' problem, since there's so many projects that also use those textures, and that they're a bit low resolution
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:29:28 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: