Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124621 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »

Updated!

@Neon_Knight: Good job, but have you try this one ? What do you think ?

I know there is a couple of issues agani, but i think there is time to fix it Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2013, 01:56:57 AM »

Akom, sorry for not having had time to try the other maps of your yet...
But just for curiosity: are you still using q3radiant or did you manage to use NetRadiant or GTKRadiant for these OA maps? If q3radiant, it may be good some kind of tutorial to setup q3radiant to work with OA stuff instead of Q3A stuff. Example: one cannot use the md3 models he finds with q3radiant (e.g. the skeleton, the gargoyle...) if he wants to do GPL maps (like for this package), because, if I'm not in error, they are not GPL'd.

@others:
What about asking JoeSox if he wants to include his Operation Metro map in this package?
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4510.0
It looks like something different than usual OA maps, and is stated as GPL. Although I don't know about its playability, I haven't really tested it.
Maybe it may be too heavy (in file size and CPU load?), and we should double check everything in it is really GPL'd?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:04:09 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2013, 02:45:26 AM »

Isn't that an experimental tribute map?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »

Uhm... you're probably right. It looks like BF3 stands for BattleField 3 game, and so the map is a 'tribute' to one of the maps of that game... I don't know how much similar, but probably quite similar, or even very similar.
http://bf3blog.com/operation-metro/

I don't know if this Cummunity pack is meant to also allow some (and which) kinds of "tribute maps" or not. I suppose this should be stated in the mappack's rules.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:59:36 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:26 AM »

Tributes can go, but I still prefer maps made specifically for this pack over than packaging of previously done maps.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:55:09 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »

Akom, sorry for not having had time to try the other maps of your yet...
But just for curiosity: are you still using q3radiant or did you manage to use NetRadiant or GTKRadiant for these OA maps? If q3radiant, it may be good some kind of tutorial to setup q3radiant to work with OA stuff instead of Q3A stuff. Example: one cannot use the md3 models he finds with q3radiant (e.g. the skeleton, the gargoyle...) if he wants to do GPL maps (like for this package), because, if I'm not in error, they are not GPL'd.

Dear Gig, don't worry about testing the maps, i know that the real life take a lot of your time, if you test it i'm happy, otherwise amen brother. Muahahaha Tongue Tongue

I'm still using Q3Radiant 202 and OA textures in the normal baseq3 folder  Grin Grin
It work very fine  Tongue . To test the maps i'm using a blank istallation of OA 0.8.8

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »

I'm still using Q3Radiant 202 and OA textures in the normal baseq3 folder  Grin Grin
But how are you doing for md3 objects, then? Are you not using them at all?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »

But how are you doing for md3 objects, then? Are you not using them at all?

Of course my friend, if a need a model i do it myself with polygons Tongue Tongue
See my teleporter used in the Inferno map (Akom9) and last map for OA mappack (Egyptian Trouble).

Wink

P.S.: @Adriano: sorry, i forgot to answer you about the missing texture. Maybe it's your problem with textures conflict, i don't know, other guys don't have this issue and in the blank OA istallation the map work fine without this problem.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »

Yep, while testing the maps, be sure to test them in a clean OA folder. Remember that the maps of this pack should work on a clean OA 0.8.8 folder.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »

To test the maps i'm using a blank istallation of OA 0.8.8

Of course I do....  Tongue .....  Grin

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

I've tested oa_akomdm3, and the gameplay now is perfect, there are no camp spots or empty space without any weapons.
I would like to put it to my dedicated server, when you'll release a final version (with license info and sources).

Maybe plasmagun is a bit too powerful, this may be fixed by moving plasmagun ammo to the different place at the map, so players won't spam it. For example, here, in the alcove:

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

Starting the 4 map !
(GIG's Nightmare !)

i'm doing it listening this http://youtu.be/4M0MOfRxI7g  Grin Grin Grin

@pelya: Ok, plasmagun will be moved Tongue

Other comment from the others ?  Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:22:53 PM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »

I have another request about oa_akomdm3. The teleports in the lower part of level bring you to the upper platform near the rocket launcher. The same can be achieved with a jump pads, and I would prefer them over the teleports, because after teleporting you're kind of disoriented, but with jump pad you know your position in the level. Also, two teleports near each other in the same part of the level do not look that good.
So, I would propose this:

Sorry for too many requests, the level is already nice, and it's a minor annoyance, not anything big.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »

No problem pelya, here is a screenshot of the modified version:

And here is the download link for the map:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/xdwrvd6un5s5cspegute

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:23:12 PM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »

It is now the best map ever, thank you!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »

I was thinking about some "semi-tech" details of the map pack.
I suppose it should be stated in its readme that it's supposed to work with OA 0.8.8. AFAIK, this does not mean that it will surely stop working with OA 0.9/OA3.

... I was thinking about the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/G_autonextmap]G_autonextmap feature (note: you may have to read how the feature works, following that link, to better understand what follows). It works with OA 0.8.8 stock maps only (if you put more maps into your OA, you have to create custom mappools to use them with autonextmap.

If we want people to quickly take advantage of the maps from this map_pack with g_autonextmap enabled, we may include specific map_pools with the package.
But placing map pools files including both "stock" OA 0.8.8 and mappack maps (overriding the default files) may mean to tie the pack too firmly to a specific OA version?
Or may we include mappack maps only and place those files outside the pk3, with a fake extension (maps_dm.cfg.xxx), telling people to add and remove the extension each time they want to use mappack maps instead of stock maps?
Or may we include the pools with a name different than the normal (e.g. cpack_maps_dm.cfg) and two .cfg files that the user would use with /exec cp_mappack.cfg and /exec cp_normal.cfg that would set the g_mappools variable to the mappack-only pools or back to default values?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2013, 03:10:11 AM »

Easiest way is just to  fix g_autonextmap, so it will parse all files from a specific directory, or all files with specifoc extension, and rename *.cfg to *.mappool.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

A short update regarding my map:
the name is now decided, it will be called "GoDs Base" (god_base) because the map will be some kind of tribute to mkbase and the last part of the GoD proto series (i guess i already talked about).
The basic layout of the blue side is nearly complete, i just need to polish the center area and the upper way to/from the base. Also some edges has to be made a little smoother.
If this work is done, i will duplicate the bases, activate some jumppads and release an early pre alpha.
So you can get a feeling about the sizes and the gameplay.

Unfortunately i am out of time for a 2nd map, but here is a screenshot from the close to go of GoDs Evil (god_evil).
I made some big mistakes in the basic layout of the map, so i have to do it again from scratch in the future.
But i will not be able to finish this in time... Sad
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

Seems a good map, i'll give it a try when it's done.

Wink

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

Here is a new screenshot from GoDs Bases, which shows the ways to the flagroom.
The edges i marked will be redone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2013, 01:52:26 AM »

Neon_Knight:
I've tested the map watadry_beta3, link to which you've inadvertedly put in PM.
Once you've learned all the map shortcuts, you'll make gameplay frustrating to other players (also, bots are easily confused by this map).
There are two shortcuts to the enemy base, via underwater way and teleporter, and there are too many escape routes after you grab a flag - run to the jump pad, collect the health and armor from the upper gallery, then there are two routes to run away from the gallery without jumping down to the open space, and you can grab a plasmagun on the way back. Once you around the first corner, you're safe - there are too many sharp corners on the way back, so it's impossible to chase and snipe you down, you can also grab megahealth while running to your base, and run away even without shooting. But if you're killed and respawn on your base, there are no decent weapons around you, you need to run ahead, and it's not unusual for flag carrier to grab your plasmagun and rocket right when you need them most.
The best strategy for flag defenders is to stay between two bases, where the megahealth is, the flag carrier will have to run across that area.
Also I dislike that lifting platform that goes up and down at regular intervals, it's easy to get squished. Why not a plain jump pad?
I was playing on a phone, so my experience may be biased. I was able to jump to the teleporter only after 10-th try, and the underwater passage is also not that easy to use.
The texture choice is okay, and illumination is also okay, although there are not too many variations, just the same ambient light everywhere.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »

A quick post just to say I quickly tested oa_akomdm2 oa_akomdm3, without bots.
- The map looks nice. And I can notice some inspiration "here and there" from the great q3dm6, right?
- I haven't noticed "missing texture" problems like those experienced by Adriano. But my test was very quick. I had the q3a2oa texture compatibility pack v5 installed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:13:07 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »

Neon_Knight:
I've tested the map watadry_beta3, link to which you've inadvertedly put in PM.
Once you've learned all the map shortcuts, you'll make gameplay frustrating to other players (also, bots are easily confused by this map).
There are two shortcuts to the enemy base, via underwater way and teleporter, and there are too many escape routes after you grab a flag - run to the jump pad, collect the health and armor from the upper gallery, then there are two routes to run away from the gallery without jumping down to the open space, and you can grab a plasmagun on the way back. Once you around the first corner, you're safe - there are too many sharp corners on the way back, so it's impossible to chase and snipe you down, you can also grab megahealth while running to your base, and run away even without shooting. But if you're killed and respawn on your base, there are no decent weapons around you, you need to run ahead, and it's not unusual for flag carrier to grab your plasmagun and rocket right when you need them most.
The best strategy for flag defenders is to stay between two bases, where the megahealth is, the flag carrier will have to run across that area.
Also I dislike that lifting platform that goes up and down at regular intervals, it's easy to get squished. Why not a plain jump pad?
I was playing on a phone, so my experience may be biased. I was able to jump to the teleporter only after 10-th try, and the underwater passage is also not that easy to use.
The texture choice is okay, and illumination is also okay, although there are not too many variations, just the same ambient light everywhere.
Talk about watadry in it's thread. Wink Let's leave this thread for the Mappack maps only.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

A quick post just to say I quickly tested oa_akomdm2, without bots.
- The map looks nice. And I can notice some inspiration "here and there" from the great q3dm6, right?
- I haven't noticed "missing texture" problems like those experienced by Adriano. But my test was very quick. I had the q3a2oa texture compatibility pack v5 installed.

I think you mean oa_akomdm3  Grin

Missing textures it's a mistery, i don't know why you can't see them. I have used a "vanilla" istallation (blank istallation) of OA0.8.8 without any texture pack or something else and it work.
May be a texture conflict ??

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

Yes. oa_akomdm3.
Anyway, I did not notice any texture problem. Was maybe the "you" in your sentence referring to Adriano intead of to me?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: