Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130902 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

Verdana font is a part of Microsoft Core Fonts package, there are even Linux packages that do that for you, but it's not open-source - you can redistribute the font files freely, but only non-commercially, and you cannot modify them. There are apparently no restrictions on the usage of these fonts (so you may sell images produced using these fonts, or put any license on those images etc).
Here is their licensing terms
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #376 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »

That's cool!
Which fonts have you used?

I've used the Verdana Font original from WinXP. I hope is right  Grin

Wink

With that much smilies, i could not tell if you are kidding or not. Anyway:

Kalimaty and FreeSans are very close to Verdana and Arial respectively, you might want to try the ubuntu font, i like it on almost anything and particularly on big characters.

Those are free fonts, you can use them, there are ofc many more free fonts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:23:56 PM by jangroothuijse » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »

What about not using text at all? That would avoid any fonts issue! Seriously.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »

I dont understand...... by the way here it is a site that seems good:
fontsquirrel.com

Can you confirm it ?

@GiG: It's not text, it's an image with shader effect...... Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »

Gig probably means drawing some text yourself. Using a pencil or brush, you know Wink
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »

Ok, i have removed the Fonts in all my maps.

Here is the new version, more illuminated, of the oa_akomdm2.

Please Pelya, tell me if it's good now.
I have maked a personal Black sky with his own script, just for you Tongue  Grin

.....soon i will give to you all a playable version of oa_akomdm5 "The Sanctuary".....
......................stay tuned...............

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »

What I suggested was to completely remove text, except what is really useful (e.g. a plate with "warehouse" on the door of a warehouse may have some sense... or an "auto" display for the ship's autopilot).

IMHO, there is no real reason to write "Moixie was here" or "Neon Knight is an action" on an Egypt-themed map... so if it is difficult do find correct fonts for them, you can just skip the problem by not writing those phrases.
And, personally, I don't like that "Gig's nightmare" thing (no offense, please, but I don't like that specific idea, I have to say the truth). I like oa_akomdm4, it's not a nightmare for me!  Smiley

PS: Sorry I will not be able to test the package and the newest things before Monday...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:58:43 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »

oa_akomdm2 is now very playable, thank you!

I have maked a personal Black sky with his own script, just for you Tongue  Grin

Well okay, I meant it could have some stars. this sky photo, for example, is rather dark, and this one too, and you can also tune the photo brightness down, so there will be only few bright spots.
The totally black sky feels like as if I've locked myself in a bathroom Grin But you can leave it black, it's already good for release.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

@GiG: No problem  Grin

@Pelya: This time the map is good ? Unfortunately i've tryed to change the black sky with stars but the engine show the stars only if you are very close at the brush.

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »

Then leave it as it was before, I have no problem with black sky.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »

NEW UPDATE !

Finally i can give to you all a playable version of my fifth map  Grin

It has some light issues but i'll fix them  Tongue

I'm using anoice1 texture for my skybox, i've changed the light radius and the sun.
Now it seems good for me.

Wink

EDIT: I think we need more music track.... Tongue Grin.....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:59:11 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:32 AM »

Nice. Maybe the internal part of the map is a little too dark?

It's a little strange how stepping on weapon spawn points makes you "slide" a little... but it can be funny.

For the other maps of the pack, I've given a quick try to them, and I haven't noticed clamorous bugs as missing textures. However, it was just a quick try...

PS: I still miss an "auto" screen for oa_akomdm4... 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:37:27 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »

Nice. Maybe the internal part of the map is a little too dark?

Yes, i have to fix this missing light.  Tongue Cheesy

PS: I still miss an "auto" screen for oa_akomdm4...  

What do you mean ?
You mean in the cockpit ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

You mean in the cockpit ?
Yes.  Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »

Ok, i have removed the Fonts in all my maps.
What I suggested was to completely remove text, except what is really useful (e.g. a plate with "warehouse" on the door of a warehouse may have some sense... or an "auto" display for the ship's autopilot).
I have a better idea. Akom, what about if I do those letters?

IMHO, there is no real reason to write "Moixie was here" or "Neon Knight is an action" on an Egypt-themed map... so if it is difficult do find correct fonts for them, you can just skip the problem by not writing those phrases.
And, personally, I don't like that "Gig's nightmare" thing (no offense, please, but I don't like that specific idea, I have to say the truth). I like oa_akomdm4, it's not a nightmare for me!  Smiley
Easter eggs, while not as useful as a secret room holding a precious item, helps giving a map it's own personality. For example, the secret room in Unreal Tournament's DM-Codex, or many secret areas in Quake III Arena's maps (Think about that secret room facing the teleporter in q3dm11, "Deva Station").

EDIT: I think we need more music track.... Tongue Grin.....
There're 14 music tracks in the SVN.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »

I have a better idea. Akom, what about if I do those letters?

No problem for me  Grin Grin

There're 14 music tracks in the SVN.

Why in the OA folder there is no other tracks ? It have only 7 music tracks in the pak6-patch088 folder .... Huh....

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »

That's because not all the tracks were meant to be included, since it was, like the filename says, a patch for a full version, and not a full version itself, and hence, the filesize must have been kept short for downloading reasons. The next full version will be DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3]OA3, and it will include all of those tracks.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

That's because not all the tracks were meant to be included, since it was, like the filename says, a patch for a full version, and not a full version itself, and hence, the filesize must have been kept short for downloading reasons. The next full version will be DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3]OA3, and it will include all of those tracks.

Ok, what about insert the other music tracks in another (official)  patch file  ?
Can we use the tracks anyway ?  Tongue

By the way, what about the design/playability of the fifth map ?
Nothing to tell ? It's only to fix the lights ?

Tell me.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #393 on: February 26, 2013, 01:57:02 AM »

@Neon_Knight: Yes, easter eggs can be nice... but I meant you can't lose your sleep for them.

@Akom:
- Stepping over the flames may give you a little damage, maybe?
- Maybe some weapons may spawn a little more often (e.g. the rocket launcher in the external "tower").
- Found a graphic glitch, see screenshot.
- The skybox may be a little larger, to let rockets fly a little more before disappearing.
- You may add target_location entities (this also for other maps).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:04:21 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #394 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:48 AM »

Oh, never noticed the link. Downloading!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #395 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

@GiG: I take a look to that glitch and fix some lights  Tongue Cheesy

@ALL: Maybe i've found a Metal Band that can give to me some music tracks, what type of documentation is needed to make this audio tracks GPLv2's ? Tell me please. This Metal Band ask only to be mentioned, i think it's not a big problem, am i right ?

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #396 on: February 26, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

There are some sites, which provide free music under Creative Commons - Attribution license, CC-BY is generally thought to be compatible to GPL, if used for art, and not software code.
freemusicarchive.org
list fo sites with free music another list
We can also "borrow" from other open-source games.

@Akom: sorry, I did not test your new map yet, I'll do that soon.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:47:45 AM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #397 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

There are some sites, which provide free music under Creative Commons - Attribution license, CC-BY is generally thought to be compatible to GPL, if used for art, and not software code.
NOTE: I don't know if Fromhell is of this opinion... maybe not.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

If a music is under CC-BY license or public domain, and in a form of a tracker file (so you can modify it), it should satisfy even Fromhell. So, it would be this and this links. Not much of a choice though.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

Modarchive is a bit out of control when it comes to displaying 'publicdomain' works though, so you can't trust that. I've seen commercial song covers on "public domain" there.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: