Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130857 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

Modarchive is a bit out of control when it comes to displaying 'publicdomain' works though, so you can't trust that. I've seen commercial song covers on "public domain" there.

Ok, if this Italian Band want to contribute to OA and give to us their audio tracks, what document is needed ? They have only to release their own work under GPL with the COPYING inside ?

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »

If they record separate tracks and tnen mix them, or do any post-processing, they also need to release a separate soundtracks/individual instrument recordings, and the project file of the program they use to mix/post-process.
If they record the whole track live,  there is  only one audio track.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »

If they record separate tracks and tnen mix them, or do any post-processing, they also need to release a separate soundtracks/individual instrument recordings, and the project file of the program they use to mix/post-process.
If they record the whole track live,  there is  only one audio track.

Ok, if they record one track at time with no post-processing, they have to release it only with the copying file that follow the tracks ? I mean, their job is to be considered GPL'd ?

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »

a BAND?!  I know in the past there has been some indie bands wanting to get a break into promoting their non-Free music in OA but

Yeah this is why I suggested sticking to tracker formats, but scavenging existing tracker music is not the way to go due to dubious origins of samples and arrangements that may not be fine for the GPLv2
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:00:02 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »

Yeah this is why I suggested sticking to tracker formats, but scavenging existing tracker music is not the way to go due to dubious origins of samples and arrangements that may not be fine for the GPLv2

Embarrassed ok, understand, no problem, it was just an idea.......

Wink

EDIT: Meanwhile i've updated the map  Grin

Red armour moved from the center of the map.

Do you like the custom lamp ? Now that room is better lighted.

Added some columns and a broken terrain for the rocket launcher.

Download it and tell me.
Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:02:11 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #405 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:57 AM »

Tested. I like this map, it seems good for Elimination and Last Man Standing... (even Tournament maybe?)
Lights are nice.
Target_location still missing.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #406 on: February 27, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »

Tested. I like this map, it seems good for Elimination and Last Man Standing... (even Tournament maybe?)
Lights are nice.
Target_location still missing.

Yes yes, all games are supported (i hope)  Cheesy

Quoted from Q3Radiant:
Location marker used by bots and players for team orders and team chat in the course of Teamplay games. The closest target_location in sight is used for the location. If none is in sight, the closest in distance is used.

The Target Location it's used for teamplay, this is a free for all map  Grin

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #407 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »

You should place them anyway. Tongue

FFA maps can still be used for team games, and some teamgame-based mods even use FFA maps.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #408 on: February 27, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

You should place them anyway. Tongue

FFA maps can still be used for team games, and some teamgame-based mods even use FFA maps.

Of course they can be used in FFA maps, but it's useless.
The map's items are not thinked for team play. Another thing, Target Location entity are thinked for team play (specially in CTF mode), they have to be placed far away each other to avoid map's location issues.

By the way, it's not very important now, in a second time, some one can place Target Location everywhere with the original .map file included in the release.

@ALL : what do you think about this fifth map ? I hope you enjoy this last (?) job Tongue Tongue

Wink
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:53:10 PM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #409 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

I've finally tested oa_akomdm5, and it's awesome, both gameplay and graphics, I have no complaints  Smiley  one suggestion - could those blue pillars heal you instead of damaging, or act as a jumppads (no real purpose, it's just cool). Or even both - add you 10 health and make you jump.
Also, two plasmaguns at the center of arena are probably a bit too powerful - you don't need to leave that arena center at all (but you also die too often there). I don't know what to put as a replacement, lightning gun is also very powerful. Maybe rocket Smiley or grenade launcher, or that weak shotgun. I would put just one plasmagun on the map, in place of quad damage (also, when you shooting it, that blue pillars are confuse you for plasmagun shots, so you have hard time dodging it).
Anyway, the map good as it is, I don't know whether my suggestions will improve or harm it.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »

Maybe is better to put the Quad at the center and one plasmagun in place of the Quad ?

In the center part i will place granade launcher and one ammo Tongue

By the way i'm waiting for other responses  Grin

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »

Maybe is better to put the Quad at the center and one plasmagun in place of the Quad ?

Yes, I would like that. Grenade launcher and maybe the shotgun in the center, you can put several ammo boxes at the different corners, it won't give you much advantage anyway.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

Yes, I would like that. Grenade launcher and maybe the shotgun in the center, you can put several ammo boxes at the different corners, it won't give you much advantage anyway.

Ehm, there are 4 shotgun in this map.....XD.....

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #413 on: February 27, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »

Oh, yes, really  Roll Eyes  then put a chaingun ammo, it's totally useless there  Grin
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #414 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »

Oh, yes, really  Roll Eyes  then put a chaingun ammo, it's totally useless there  Grin

No no, it's a great idea !!

I can place a Chaingun in this map.....mmmmm, ok i'll do it ! Thanks Pelya !
 Grin

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #415 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

No, no, actually I've meant Machine Gun, when said Chaingun, sorry.
Not that huge mean rotating aircraft gun, that rips you in less than a second - the weak small gun you're respawning with.
Anyway, if you think Chaingun will fit in there - go on, add it Smiley
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

No, no, actually I've meant Machine Gun, when said Chaingun, sorry.
Not that huge mean rotating aircraft gun, that rips you in less than a second - the weak small gun you're respawning with.
Anyway, if you think Chaingun will fit in there - go on, add it Smiley

Grin Grin

I think it's a good idea to place the chaingun in the center of the map, mixed with the Quad.
I can make those items a "team", when you bring one of those items, next time randomly appear the other. No chaingun ammo  Tongue.

What about my custom lamps ? I have maked a good job or i can improve it ?

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #417 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »

Best detail of the map and a nice one. The actual light-source could be a bit brighter though.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #418 on: February 27, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

Best detail of the map and a nice one. The actual light-source could be a bit brighter though.

I'll do something about it  Grin

Update's summary:

1) Replace two shotgun with granadelauncher.
2) Remove portable objects and replace them with Chaingun/Quad Damage "teamed".
3) Put the plasmagun where before there was the Quad Damage.
4) Move the Ammo Boxes at the corner of the central room.

Other things ?

I ask because this map takes a lot of time to compile.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #419 on: February 27, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

Hmmm... what part takes a lot to compile? BSP, VIS, Light, BSPC?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #420 on: February 27, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »

Hmmm... what part takes a lot to compile? BSP, VIS, Light, BSPC?

The light take too long time, i think it's because of the sky.
But no problem. I will modify the map and wait if i have to  Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #421 on: February 27, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

I ask because this map takes a lot of time to compile.

I have a theory !

When I started to work on my mx1dm5 (the space map which is on the pack), I had the same problem. It needed much time (= 15 minutes) to compile, whereas it had a few brushes and a few entities compared to other maps. I had to solve the problem and I finally solved it !

Here is where my problem was: There are 2 kind of brushes: sculpturals and details.
-> When you look at a sculptural brush, you only load the brush itself.
-> When you look at a detail brush, you load the brush and all brushes behind it.
* By default, every created brush is a structural brush except curves (I guess that a transparent or invisible texture acts like a detail brush, even if it's a sculptural (I'm not sure)).

For instance, there is a big pillar in the center of your map.
-> It is a sculptural brush, you only load it when you look at it. When you move, you load new brushes: the ones which were hidden by the pillar.
-> It is a detail brush, you load it and the brushes hidden behind it. When you move, you don't have to load brushes which were hidden behind the pillar because you already loaded them.
To sum up, You get better performances if the pillar is a detail brush.

Another thing, if there is "nothing" behind the brush: like you can't load this "nothing", the map leaks if the brush is a detail. Every wall in contact with "nothing" must be sculptural. ("nothing" is what is behind the map itself, I don't know if there is a special noun. I don't even know how to explain what it is precisely, I hope you understand what I'm talking about)

So, as a general rule: "every brush should be detail brush, except the brushes in contact with the nothing."

From this rule: in a space map, every brush, except the skybox, should be detail brush. My map needed 15 minutes to compile, now it needs 40 seconds. (How to make detail brushes: Select brushes -> "Brush" (tool bar) -> Make detail (CTRL+M) )

I checked the .map (converted thanks to your .bsp) all brushes except curves are stucturals. You should try to make detail of all brushes except the skybox. I hope it'll work.

ps: I learnt it some months ago, I haven't much experience and can't guarantee that all I said is right, at least that's how I understood it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:49:33 PM by Moixie » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #422 on: February 28, 2013, 01:45:33 AM »

@Moixie. From your description, it seems detail brushes do not count for creating vis portals. If this is so (I don't know!), it would mean that you may have lower framerate (very slightly or important, depending from the map) because the renderer may elaborate more "hidden" objects...

@Akom: did you notice that, during map loading, the "OpenArena Community Mappack" text in your levelshots becomes overwrited by the "loading mapname" text?
PS: I suppose levelshots have to comply with gplv2, too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:28:35 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #423 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:46 AM »

A way to make maps compile faster is, if you have a modern processor with multiple cores (separate graphs for "CPU use" in Task Manager), to set q3map to use more threads.

In Q3Radiant, File -> Project settings -> Menu commands.
The most "completed" elaboration there is "bsp_fullvis (light -extra)", right?
I added a new one there, and I called it "bsp_fullvis (light -extra) Multithread"... I copy-pasted the command line contained in the original one to the new one, and in the new one I modified the "-threads" option of q3map from "1" to an higher value (e.g. 2, 3, 4 or 6... it depends from how many "cores" your machine has got, and how many of them do you want to use for this purpose). Please notice you have to change it in two places of the command line.

Then, trying to compile with the new option (more threads), I noticed much higher CPU usage in Task Manager, and much quicker compiling than before.

A strange thing is that, for some reason, when I had copy-pasted and modified the command line for the new compiling option through the GUI, it saved only a part of the line, and so then it was not able to compile because various options were missing. I have no idea about the reason, I suppose some Q3Radiant bug.
Anyway, I workarounded this by manually editing \Quake III Arena\BASEQ3\scripts\quake.qe4 file: I added the complete command line there, and it worked.

I suppose similar options are probably applicable also in GTKRadiant and NETRadiant... I suppose we should write somewhere in the wiki how to apply this trick in the various editors... this may save a lot of computing time to mappers that have good machines! Neon_Knight, what do you think?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:27:22 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #424 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »

@Moixie: Why decompile the .bsp when you have the original .map file ?? If you see in "scripts" folder you find it  Tongue  (all my map for this project have the original .map file in it)

@Moixie(2): 15 minutes is too much time ? This map compile in more than one hour !!!
Muahahaha !! I have to change my old computer....  Tongue Tongue Grin

@Gig: Sorry, i haven't calculated this eventuality, i will fix it.  Grin

Wink

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: