Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130880 times)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #450 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:22 AM »

More lamps make the central room better, thank you. I think the map can be released as it is now.
The robots have the same problem as a cockpit - they look good, but you don't have many opportunities to see them.
Maybe you should make that bridge from glass/forcefield, or somehow make it transparent, but then it will conflict with the style of the map. You can try to make it curved, so you'll get to see the robots when passing that curve. Or you can just replace some pillars with a robot Smiley
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #451 on: March 03, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »

More lamps make the central room better, thank you. I think the map can be released as it is now.
The robots have the same problem as a cockpit - they look good, but you don't have many opportunities to see them.
Maybe you should make that bridge from glass/forcefield, or somehow make it transparent, but then it will conflict with the style of the map. You can try to make it curved, so you'll get to see the robots when passing that curve. Or you can just replace some pillars with a robot Smiley

No problem, they are only decorative. I think i will use they in another map  Tongue

@Neon_Knight: Thank you, but seems that GiG is contrary to put "easter eggs" like this in our map. It's not a big problem anyway....

EDIT:
@Pelya: Finally i've build a skybox for oa_akomdm2, taked from here:
Code:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1112a/
(Tell me if it is GPL2V and if it can be used in our mappack)

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:08:39 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »

That sky looks good, I would tone down the image brightness a bit, so only the most bright stars would be visible.

The images from this spacetelescope.org are covered by Creative Commons - Attribution license, which should be fine to use in GPL-ed projects, it allows modification and commercial use, and only requires name of the author to be mentioned in credits.
@Fromhell: could you please clarify, if you allow CC-BY-licensed works to be uploaded to OA?
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #453 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »

Hi all.  Grin

In a creative moment my mind turned crazy and i've started a CTF map for this mappack.

This is a first look version, polygons/textures and also skybox are temporary.

Let me know what do you think about it.
And please, tell me how to insert various OA modes in this map  Tongue Tongue

@GiG: Yes, in this map i will insert the Target Location  Grin Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:09:21 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #454 on: March 03, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »

Oh no, not another redo of that unreal-map. Face-capture on Sauerbraten was already worse enough.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #455 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »

Well, there's no version of this map in OA, so it's okay to redo it. BTW there should be windows for snipers in those towers.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #456 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:37 AM »

Just to clarify... I'm not against easter eggs in general. But I didn't like that "Gig's nightmare" thing. If you want to place other text, of course you can use it.
Of course, players that do not follow the forums may think "Who is Neon_Knight?".... unfortunately, we cannot use a dopefish image as easter egg, because it's copyrighted.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #457 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »

Well, there's no version of this map in OA, so it's okay to redo it. BTW there should be windows for snipers in those towers.

It's not a good thing to create another "bases" map. Why? As those only give campers (as you call "snipers")  a chance to play (they are actually being forced to do so as running around is equal to dieing due the lack of cover).

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #458 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »

Just to clarify... I'm not against easter eggs in general. But I didn't like that "Gig's nightmare" thing. If you want to place other text, of course you can use it.
Of course, players that do not follow the forums may think "Who is Neon_Knight?".... unfortunately, we cannot use a dopefish image as easter egg, because it's copyrighted.

Ok, sorry i misunderstand Tongue
....but you're right, this package will be released for all the OA community and most af all not know this forum.

@Suicizer: Dont you like the idea of this "Base" map ? If you have doubts about snipers, i can make a trick in the map that kill players that camp in the raigun position Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

@Suicizer: Dont you like the idea of this "Base" map ? If you have doubts about snipers, i can make a trick in the map that kill players that camp in the raigun position Tongue Cheesy

Wink

I certainly am not a fan of campers (neither doing so myself for a while) as it kills the flow of a map. It does not provide a current play which constantly changes that causes for different situations, rather it keeps looping over and over again (doesn't matter who kills who, as long as 1 camps).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:44:08 PM by Suicizer » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #460 on: March 04, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

then remove railgun from this map, or replace all weapons with railguns Cheesy if you camp, you'll get sniped down, because you're not moving.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #461 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »

then remove railgun from this map, or replace all weapons with railguns Cheesy if you camp, you'll get sniped down, because you're not moving.

Maybe an idea....  Cheesy
...railgun for all !!!  Grin

Wink

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »

I will not put windows if I were him: you want to snipe, you stay on top of the towers, without protections and with the risk to fall down.

A speed power-up could help flag-catchers?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #463 on: March 04, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »

How much feasible would be the use of the Grappling Hook in that map?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2013, 02:00:24 AM »

Please don't, Grappling Hook is not supported on Android build (actually, I don't know, because I've never tried it, but if it requires dedicated button to activate - it's not supported).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #465 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:57 AM »

Please don't, Grappling Hook is not supported on Android build (actually, I don't know, because I've never tried it, but if it requires dedicated button to activate - it's not supported).

Don't worry before testing.
While some implementations of the hook in some Q3 MODS (e.g. in Alternate Fire or CorkScrew, IIRC) do use a dedicated button for it, the implementation of OA uses it as a standard weapon.
You have to select if from the weapons list, shoot to attach where you want, and only then you can select another weapon to attack enemies. To detach from your location, you have to switch to the grapple again. So it's not so easy to use as the implementation of some mods, but it does not require a dedicated button.
You can test it by running Elimination/CTF Elimination/Last man standing mode (or any other mode with g_elimination 1), with elimination_grapple 1.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #466 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »

New DM map, oajgdm3alpha:

http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/oajgdm3alpha.pk3

I know there are still some graphical glitches in there, i will sort them out. I am however looking for feedback on the gameplay:
Are there area's that need more work?
Is there too much traffic one a specific place (by human players) (i know bots converge on the red armor like a bunch of zombies, i'll look into it)
I've again elected to put no rg in there, because in my view the map is too open for it, but in my mind it was a close call, do you guys agree or should the rg be in there?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

Added oajgdm3 and the updated oa_akomdm5 to the D/L server. I'll check if I can update the wiki now.

This being said, I might have to leave my FFA maps out of the pack, seeing that we have now a lot of them, and more CTF-based maps are needed...

This weekend I'll work on my CTF contribution, then.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #468 on: March 07, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »

Do me a favor and pick an easier (and more proper) name.

Why maps on OA (nearly) always have to be shortcutted words with no actual meaning (as like "dwnldfknmp_dm382_v28.pk3")? Is this a lack of inspiration or so?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #469 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

Ask the mappers themselves.

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »

Do me a favor and pick an easier (and more proper) name.

Why maps on OA (nearly) always have to be shortcutted words with no actual meaning (as like "dwnldfknmp_dm382_v28.pk3")? Is this a lack of inspiration or so?

Alpha is a suffix that will eventually be dropped (in the finished/polished/final version)...then its just oajgdm3; oa (Open Arena) jg (Jan Groothuijse (me)) dm (Deathmatch) 3, it all does a certain meaning,
The oa prefix may seem redundant, but q3jgdm1 and oajgdm1 are almost the same map, except one works in oa and the other in q3. The personal prefix gives me a namespace to avoid clashes with other mappers. Its longname will be "Subdivision", but that would be too generic for a filename in my opinion, and oajg_subdivision would be annoying to type in the console.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #471 on: March 07, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »

Also, you cannot have map name longer than 15 characters, because it will be drawn badly in UI. "am_underworks2" is pretty much as long as you can get. That's another reason why mappers love random short names.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #472 on: March 08, 2013, 01:51:10 AM »

@all: I was thinking that it may be nice to have a "double identity" map: partially "space" and partially not, just like god_infinitum map (see http://www.mapraider.com/maps/openarena/5862/god_infinitum). Does someone wanna try doing a such thing?

@jangroothuijse: I quickly tried the map. Nice, and it also seems more playable than the previous one.  Smiley It somehow reminds me about pul1ctf. Although the extensive use of curved surfaces, it seems the framerate is not bad.  Smiley
I noticed a place where the texture change on the floor looks a little strange, and another one where I wonder if it may be possible to have the texture on two sections of the wall to better coincide (see attached screenshots).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:09:38 AM by Gig » Logged

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #473 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »

It has been past some time since the last time I visited this forum and I am happy to see that the project is going on very well. Smiley

I saw the oajgdm3alpha and oa_akomdm5, I begin with the first one:
jangroothuijse, by seeing your new map of you and the previous one I saw that there is a certain mapping-style. It looks simple and nice.

Things I would change:
-in the area of yellow armor there is only a shotgun and the next weapon from there is a bit too far away-> place a weapon there somewhere
-near red armor btw. above lightning gun btw. walking up the curve I would maybe add another weapon (but I think you are right: no RG)
- look exactly at texture at big jump near red armor...

- what about adding  a "flight"-item in the map? Roll Eyes

Ok now about oa_akomdm5:
Nice atmospheric map, not so common in OA. =)
There aren't any particulary things here that I would change, well done!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:10:07 AM by adriano » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #474 on: March 09, 2013, 01:42:05 AM »

@Adriano: Thank You !  Grin Grin

@jangroothuijse: Absolutely a good map, OA need some cool map like this one.
Unfortunately some texture-bug have to be solved, but you already know it, right ?  Tongue

One dubt: the shiny effect on some textures maybe slow down some FPS in old machine.

@ALL: about my ctf map "Face", i'm fighting with the missing textures and build/erase some polygons  Undecided ..... no promise, but maybe i can give you a first look version in some hours.....maybe.... Tongue Cheesy

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:10:08 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: