Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1132102 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1175 on: November 28, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »

It's OK. We have at least some few weeks at minimum, and a month as maximum, before the launch. And after the next week I'll have more spare time, so I can even correct what's bad with the maps themselves and the pack.

But the finish-line isn't the December 7th ??  Tongue

After 1 year the first official community mappack is finally done !!  Grin Grin
(IMHO  Tongue )

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1176 on: November 28, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

Uh? Recently, we mentioned "december", I don't remember 7th.
By the way, I hope to give you a new version the next week...
Moixie answered to a PM of mine a few weeks ago, but I have not had further news...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1177 on: November 28, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

Uh? Recently, we mentioned "december", I don't remember 7th.
By the way, I hope to give you a new version the next week...
Moixie answered to a PM of mine a few weeks ago, but I have not had further news...

It's just an idea, look at the first message in the first page, the date is December 7 2012.
 Grin Grin

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1178 on: November 28, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »

Yep, I've said "december". Could be 1, 7 or 31. The idea is that the pack should be released this year, and not the following or in 2291 or 2341.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1179 on: November 29, 2013, 04:05:59 AM »

Yep, I've said "december". Could be 1, 7 or 31. The idea is that the pack should be released this year, and not the following or in 2291 or 2341.

I would rather release to really good maps than trying to compromise the worse...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1180 on: November 29, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »

This pack has been in development for almost a year. Enough time for development and testing.
If people didn't cared to give the mappers feedback, it's not their fault.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:50:14 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1181 on: November 29, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »

This pack has been in development for almost a year. Enough time for development and testing.
If people didn't cared to give the mappers feedback, it's not their fault.

I agree. This week-end i think to give you the updated pack.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1182 on: November 29, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »

Akom, I wanted to ask you a thing (I don't remember if I asked you before). When you compile your .aas files, do you set "-forcesidesvisible" option or not? I read somewhere that enabling that option is advisable if you used q3map2 to compile the map... but I don't know if it's also advisable in case you used the original q3map to compile the map. Good, bad, neutral?

@Suicizer and anyone else: if you wanna give some other feedback about the maps, you are still in time! These are really the last chances...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:10:21 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1183 on: November 29, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

Akom, I wanted to ask you a thing (I don't remember if I asked you before). When you compile your .aas files, do you set "-forcesidesvisible" option or not? I read somewhere that enabling that option is advisable if you used q3map2 to compile the map... but I don't know if it's also advisable in case you used the original q3map to compile the map. Good, bad, neutral?

It depends from the compiling process of the AAS, if it work good (without errors) with -forcesidesvisibles i'm good, if not i remove the -forcesidesvisibles and it work. If the AAS compiling proces don't work again, i have to modify the map in some way, depends from the error.

@Suicizer and anyone else: if you wanna give some other feedback about the maps, you are still in time! These are really the last chances...

I agree, but if i remember, Suicizer gived us his feedback in the previous pages  Huh Roll Eyes .... Tongue
Well, if he want to refresh his comments, is welcome  Grin

And Pelya ? Adriano ? Missed in action ?   Cry Tongue

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1184 on: November 29, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »

There's a lot of people in the MIA status.
Anyway, I'll be listing the testing section of the credits by how much they've contributed to the mappack. And those listed as testers who actually haven't tested will not be listed. Credit where credit is due.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1185 on: November 29, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

BTW, -forcesidesvisible may work better if the BSP stage has -meta. I always have both of them enabled whenever I compile a map.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1186 on: November 29, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

BTW, -forcesidesvisible may work better if the BSP stage has -meta. I always have both of them enabled whenever I compile a map.

In Q3Radiant202 there isn't the "-meta" compiling choice, or i haven't found the way to use it.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1187 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

You might need to edit the commandlines to add the switch.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1188 on: December 04, 2013, 05:11:20 AM »

We're close to the finishing line. Any news on your progress, guys?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1189 on: December 04, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »

"Under destruction": currently recompiling.

Updated screenshots attached:
1) "Basements" of the new colums are a little shorter, as Akom suggested. Are they okay?
2) Added a few detail to the woody board that now closes one of the windows in the ruined tower.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:01:09 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1190 on: December 04, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »

I would rather release to really good maps than trying to compromise the worse...
Hey, there are some 'better' maps, but there are no 'worse' maps. Each map in the pack is very playable, and there are many official OA maps much less playable than any map in this pack (mostly Q1 conversions).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1191 on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »

UNDER DESTRUCTION V16 is available for download!
Download here: http://digilander.iol.it/flagraiders/files/temporary/z_udestruction-version16.pk3
Link may not be active forever - This is a complete package: you don't need to have previous versions installed.

Changelog against Version 15 (by the way, version 15 has been downloaded only once. Bad.... I hoped in more feedback, also considering that it changed the "ruined house" part gameplay considerably. V14 has been downloaded three times instead (still few)):

- Reworked the columns in the "city entrance" area (look at the screenshot in my last post before this one).
- Placed a wood board to seal one of the windows on the middle floor of the "ruined tower", hoping to make it a little easier to defend the flag/dd point when fighting against human player (it looks like bots were not smart enough to shoot at you from outside the building, but humans may have been). Again, look at the screenshot in my last post before this one. Pelya, what do you think about that?
- Added the "!gametype" key to three spawn points, to disable them in "double domination" mode (I had the impression there were too many of them near to the "A" domination point).
- Some little texture fixes/changes.
- A few fixes to the README file.
- README file renamed from UDESTRUCTION_README.txt to OACMPDM10_README.txt. (Note: .bsp, .aas .map, levelshot and .arena files in the package still use UDESTRUCTION name).
- Slightly moved the white flag in OneFlag mode. Now it's a few meters more near to the hall of columns.

I hope this is the final version... however let me know about issues.

------------------------------------
Neon_Knight, you can use this file to re-package the map:
- All needed files are included (.bsp, .aas, .jpg, .tga, .wav, scripts): discard everything from before and use this stuff (IIRC, in OACMP1 RC1, a couple of "old" un-used sound files ended up in sound/gig01 folder: it has to contain 2 sound files only).
- About sources, the .map file is included in the V16 package... while all sources of textures and sounds (.XCF, .PSD...) are inside the 28.8 MB file you find here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60263008/OA/Under_Destruction_texture_sources.zip (which you probably already have...)
- I don't know which will be the "final" name for each map readme file in the OACMP package: of course you can rename "OACMPDM10_README.txt" to what you need. Note: in case the final "short name" of the proper map will be changed to something different than "OACMPDM10", the readme file will need to be updated.
-------------------------------------

Now, what else do we need to complete OACMP?
1) A small texture fix from Moixie, for his DM map (on the floor of the "middle ring"? See here)
2) Some fixes from Jan... what they were? Missing ambient music in some map? Adding some machinegun bullet boxes in lateral tunnels of the CTF map? Fixing some brush/texture misalignment in his DM1 map (see here)? Adding "surfaceparm nomarks" or "sufaceparm noimpact" in the shader of the white teleporter corridors of DM1 map? Are we sure all shader conflicts were already fixed? I suppose you should look back the forum for several pages...
3) Maybe we have never tested Akom's ctf map after he changed the skybox?
4) Updating README files included with all the maps. IIRC, infos in some of them are really outdated, and maybe some of them have no readme file at all yet.
5) Who has not yet posted his own source images (.xcf, .psd, etc.) should do.
6) Double-checking .arena files, to be sure all maps are shown for the gametypes they should work flawlessy. Last time I checked, I noticed some maps were uder-used: example.... in RC1, all DM maps from Akom are listed for "ffa lms tourney" only.... not listing oa_akomdm3 for Elimination and TDM is bad!!!!!!!! Reminder: there are no particular problems in listing a map for modes such as Elimination, LMS, TDM...
7) Decide the final names to use... as I told months ago, instead of names such as "OACMPDM01", I would really prefer "OACMPDM1" ("trimmed"). Other ideas included names such as "OACMP1DM01" (restarting from OACMP2DM01 for next year's OACMP2 package) and "OACMPDM001". Which one to use?
8) Creating two packages, one in .pk3 format with the maps and everything required to play, and another one which will include all sources (to save many MB of size in the .pk3). The .pk3 should contain a text file (the main Readme should be adapt) containing a link to download the "sources" package.
9) Please read this post (and the following ones?) for some other things I noticed when RC1 was made, and that should be checked for the final version (adding map rotation scripts, readme files Windows/Linux format, a strange file position for a sound from Akom...).
10) Some levelshots to be changed (e.g. were taken with 2D active, or with modified FOV)?
11) After the "final" package has been done, a few extra days for testing it before saying it's officially released (if you prefer, also an RC2 may fit).
12) Something I may have forgot?

... something like "how's going with GPL compliance of ANY extra stuff used in the package"? Everything's okay? Are there some textures we don't yet know if are allowed or not??? GPL compliance IS a main goal of the mappack!

PS: I don't remember... maybe some "detail textures" tests have been made for OACMP? Were they part of RC1? Could someone tell me how we were going with them? I don't remember...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:54:03 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1192 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:44 AM »

fromhell did those detail textures for akomdm3 and they were incorporated in RC1.

The only required point is Nº 5. I can take care of most of the other points. For that I might need to implement a content freeze date, so the pack can be released this year. (After all, we've spent the entirety of this year polishing this pack) 15/12 or 20/12 could be the CF date, with 27/12 or 30/12 as the release date. In the middle of those dates, a second and final RC will be released, which, hopefully, contains the fixed and final version of the pack, unless a REALLY BIG ISSUE (NOT minor things) pops out.

BTW, updated Udestruction in the OACMP wiki page.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1193 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:31 AM »

Still about GPL compliance: I have not yet understood if GPL requires to mention authors or sources of the original files... To be sure, for my additional textures, I used photos taken from mine... or I modified existing OA textures (specifying source image file name in map's readme... and hoping the generic attribution to "the OpenArena Team" for them is enough).

By the way, IIRC there was some dubt about some texture packs used (in Akom's maps, maybe?).... How's with that?

A side note: while for someone the Christmas week may mean more time available, for me it will mean I will be almost completely offline.

PS: it's true that it's many months we are in the "polishing" phase, but saying it's one year polishing is excessive: it's one year since the idea of making the mappack started!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:53:56 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1194 on: December 05, 2013, 04:38:03 AM »

Ok guys, some updates:

1) i've fixed the skybox in oa_akomctf1.
2) Replaced two textures from "Babel" with two OA originals.
3) Modified the akom_sky.shader.
3.1) ...and now two maps can't find the sky  Rest In PEACE!
3.2) ...will fix it soon.
4) I have to remove old textures

I've downloaded tha latest versione of Udestruction, i think now it's good.

Wink

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #1195 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »

Hello there,
I have seen the map udestruction v16 and I found 2 things that  (for my oppinion) should be modified for this cool map (for a even better looking map).
I know I am late to say such things, but maybe its not too late (I hope).

[1.] I think instead of the flat walls at map border, I would round them a bit also in the other axis (see screenshot0), so that it looks like a destructed city in a valley ( similar to this:  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--HSOB0rP_Rw/UiJgCkFby_I/AAAAAAAAAeE/b9zNBmtK6KA/s1600/DSC04716.jpg ).
I know there is a special technique (dunno the name now) to do mountains/ground, but maybe the simple method is enough. You did the map border with curved mesh, right?
I would give it a try, start for example like this:
a) curve the upper part continously along the whole border and maybe on some places at down part,too. To do that you have to mark the mesh and press V or E (dunno which from both) to move the points of the mesh by looking on the axis.
b) modify the height
c) Bring in lot of unregularities to the mesh, so that it looks more natural than flat
Its not easy to do and i can look more worse than before. punched Just a tip.

[2.]All buildings of the map are more or less good, but I don't like this place here (Screenshot1) because of the long simple ramp/way to get to the top of the building. I would modify the design a bit there. Screenshot1 is just an idea how it could look like.

Greetz Wink
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:31:42 PM by adriano » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1196 on: December 05, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »

I've tested Udestruction v16. It's good overall, and you may consider it finished, I've got two minor complaints.
The columns in screenshot are brighter than the other buildings, they do not look old or ruined. Could you change their texture to darker one?
There are dark areas between buildings, which are close to each other. Maybe make sky shader radiate more light, so there will be more ambient light?

The columns at the blue base do make a difference, now it's easier to defend, and that makes map more balanced.
Also, I've finally found that secret button. You've placed it to the dark side of the building, and masterfully disguised with shadows.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1197 on: December 05, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »

Sorry guys, i'm late with my Pack. It will be ready in the morning (italian time).
I've worked a lot to rebuild dm2 and dm5 for minor bugs i've found (now...)

By the way, i don't think Gig is able to manage curved brushes as Adriano suggest, it's very difficult to do, but if he do this i'm ready to build a map for the second volume in his honour  Grin Grin
(However is the "V" key for modify the patch)

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1198 on: December 05, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

Yeah, I've tried to curve my brushes once, spent a whole day to get a middling unconvincing result (I'm talking about oa_akomctf3i, never released to the public).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1199 on: December 06, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »

First: thank you all guys for your feedback.

Sorry Adriano, but I have time for QUICK fixes only:
- I can't manage a brand new try to modify all the surronding wall...
- The changes you propose to the cistern look very interesting. Really, they may have been worth a try, but unfortunately now it's too late.

About ovrerall lighting, I don't know. Months ago, I did a lot of tries to balance global and oriented lights values from the sky, because many values mixes had a bad effect on the texture of the garden (which appeared too bright where not in shadow).... hence, I have some fear about changing those parameters again.... I don't know. May I add a few spotlights in specific places (where)?

About columns textures, do you think I should try without the shiny effect? But I liked that effect...

What do other people think about these things?

Gig from cell phone

Ps: Pelya, if you notice, the area of the button is slightly more illuminated than the rest of that side of the building.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:39:47 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: