Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130918 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1250 on: December 16, 2013, 05:38:04 AM »

My proposal would be to use something like cmpdm1 - cmpctf3, because oacmpctf3 is too many abbreviations.
"cmp" might be confused for a Q3 CMP or a mappack for another quake-engine based cmp. "oacmp" clearly specifies that it's a cmp for OA.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1251 on: December 16, 2013, 06:08:53 AM »

My proposal would be to use something like cmpdm1 - cmpctf3, because oacmpctf3 is too many abbreviations.
"cmp" might be confused for a Q3 CMP or a mappack for another quake-engine based cmp. "oacmp" clearly specifies that it's a cmp for OA.

Then package the mappack as a mod for OA. This would avoid conflicting names, etc.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1252 on: December 16, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »

Then package the mappack as a mod for OA. This would avoid conflicting names, etc.
Unless appositely made to act differently (I don't know if by using a customized gamecode only or if there is some easy option to change this behavior), mods still load baseoa maps (plus their own), so in theory a part of potential map naming conflicts may still happen.

However, maybe using it as a mod may have some other positive aspect? I don't know. I'll wait for Neon Knight opinion.
Surely, a server admin may decide to use it as a mod, as Pelya did with his own oacmp test server.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:41:31 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1253 on: December 16, 2013, 06:54:45 AM »

Unless appositely made to act differently (I don't know if by using a customized gamecode only of if there is some option to change this), mods still load baseoa maps (plus their own), so in theory a part of potential map naming conflicts may still happen.
Indeed. That's why only "cmp" isn't an option, at least for me.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1254 on: December 16, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »

Checked out several maps...

oa_akomctf1
You're a sitting duck when you've reached the centre of the map while running towards the opponent's base. It's too obvious which way you'll navigate due the separated paths while no cover is provided.
You bump your head against the beam above the RG.
Never seen the grappling hook in action, nice. Too bad if it shows of your trail so it's not that hard to shoot someone down using it.

oa_akomdm1
The lighting feels quite awkward. There are certain light-sources which appear to emit yellow light, while they actually emit some green light.
Why is the layout symmetrical? It feels very flat as well. I've never been a huge fan of diagonal slopes as they slow down your  movement a lot more than stairs.
The enhancement of the weapon placement seems to be overused around the map (the crackings), perhaps you make it a little more random between each other?

oa_akomdm2
Again, why is it symmetrical?
Shaders appear to be messed up, like the shader which shows off the railgun skin in the centre of the map.
The theme doesn't seems to fit the geometry. It rather feels like a space-themed map than a gothic themed map (which the textures try to show off).
Where is the light-source which lights all floors that bright?

oa_akomdm3
Seems to be a better map than the other dm-maps but yet again; symmetrical.
The edges of the upper floors could use some trims.
The light-textures tend to be a bit too weak for the light which they are emitting.

oa_akomdm4
The symmetrical design is forgiven as it's a plane, which should be symmetrical. Then again, the gameplay (item and playerstart positions) doesn't have to be symmetrical as well.
What are those black stripes when you jump off the plane and look up?
It feels like the map misses details on the upper floor and within the ship.
The low gravity really fucks up your play on other maps. Not a good thing.

oa_akomdm5
The skybox seems to be missing.
The layout seems to be very flat.
You're able to trickjump on top of the map by using a few rockets, a grenade-rocket  jump or just the quad with a rocket or grenade.

I would say still enough to do on those maps. All maps feel like they just have been made from 1 side, then just mirrored to get the other side as well (feels cheap).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:27:26 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1255 on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »

I would say still enough to do on those maps. All maps feel like they just have been made from 1 side, then just mirrored to get the other side as well (feels cheap).

Every feedback is appreciated, of course, but it's late for big changes in maps, considering content freeze date is December, 20. Akom is really fast at making changes, if needed, but there would be no much time for testing, so major changes are unlikely to happen for this first OACMP package.

What worries me more are those texture/shader problems you are mentioning you are experiencing (do you have a few screenshots?). Are you sure you are using a clean OA installation? Maybe you may have some PK3 which interferes. Are you using "plain" OACMP RC1, or did you download also "oa_akompack.pk3" from the link in the wiki page?

OACMP is thought to be tested with a "clean" OA install (both basepath and homepath without third-party stuff)... however, if there is some texture/shader conflict, it may be interesting to know if it comes from some popular addon package... (of course, any texture problem with a clean OA has to be fixed this week!).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:19:12 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1256 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

Thank you Suicizer for your comment and suggestions.

I'm sad, i've to rebuild some maps  Sad Sad

I was pretty sure that my maps are good, but seems that i've maked some errors and i will take care of all the maps, maybe this week-end.

I'm sorry that in this moment i don't have too much time, but i will do something.

What textures are missing ?? Why no one notice this ? In a clear installation of OA 0.8.8 there is no texture missing, but maybe i've missed something...

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1257 on: December 16, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »

Yep, it's late. Because (dammit, I'm going to repeat this again -.-) WE HAD A WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR TO WORK IN THIS PACK, OF WHICH AT LEAST 6 MONTHS WERE DEDICATED TO FEEDBACK RECEPTION.

Mappers, and most of you involved with the development of this pack or any official OA release: welcome to OA's world, where feedback always come after the releases or just a day before it.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1258 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

I've changed my mind, and i want to vote for oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 instead of oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01.
Can someone change the vote ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1259 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »

Akom, this time Neon_Knight is right. We cannot redo half maps from scratch right now. As I told in my previous post, you are so fast at work that you may even succed, but it's too risky to do big changes now: the pack may result with big glitches.

It's already a shame that Moixie's and Jan's maps will be published without their small glitches fixed, but risking to have your maps with big bugs would really be bad.

If there is to fix the color of the light emitted by a few lamps, okay (up to December 20th)... but heavily modifying map structure and entity placement now sounds risky...

OACMP volume 2 maps may be less symmetric than those from volume 1.

PS: Changing the vote of someone? I don't know, try asking Fromhell (I know Fromhell does not like too many PMs, but I can guess a forum moderator/admin may be required for a such task).
... or maybe Neon Knight may change poll rules to allow users to change their vote? On poll creation, that option does exist... I don't know if it is possible to enable it after the poll started.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:29:12 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1260 on: December 16, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

Akom, this time Neon_Knight is right. We cannot redo half maps from scratch right now. As I told in my previous post, you are so fast at work that you may even succed, but it's too risky to do big changes now: the pack may result with big glitches.

It's already a shame that Moixie's and Jan's maps will be published without their small glitch fixed, but risking to have your maps with big bugs would really be bad.

If there is to fix the color of the light emitted by a few lamps, okay... but heavily modifying map structure now sounds risky...

OACMP volume 2 maps may be less symmetric than those from volume 1.

PS: Changing the vote of someone? I don't know, try asking Fromhell (I know Fromhell does not like too many PMs, but I can guess a forum moderator/admin may be required for a such task).
... or maybe Neon Knight may change poll rules to allow users to change their vote? On poll creation, that option does exist... I don't know if it is possible to enable it after the poll started.

Ok, i will wait, but dear Gig  Tongue Grin, i've to ask you what do you think about Suicizer comments about my maps, it's possible that are many textures missing ? Do i have to replace or change something ? I'm sorry about issues but i was "sure" that it's all ok from yours final feedbacks...... Undecided ....

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1261 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »

I've tested yesterday with a clean OA install, and everything was OK. No textures missing.
Clean install was always a must when doing a test of a map of this pack.
We don't hold responsabilities for what third-party packs or past beta versions of the maps do to the files of our pack. It's the tester's responsability to test the pack with a clean baseoa folder.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1262 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

Suicizer, could you please do few screenshots? Last time I've checked OACMP there were absolutely no texture bugs, and all maps had sky textures.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #1263 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »

The 3rd option (oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1) is a common way to name maps in a pack, isn't it?? So it would be easier to keep it in mind.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1264 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »

oa_akomdm2
The theme doesn't seems to fit the geometry. It rather feels like a space-themed map than a gothic themed map (which the textures try to show off).

Are you referring to textures like those in the first screenshot here? I think it's meant to be like a gothic space station.
Quake 3 had similarily themed (space gothic) maps: you can find attached two screenshots from Q3DM18 "Space Chamber" map.

About missing textures, a few posts above I asked more infos to Suicizer, because understanding what's the reason may be important (I can guess he has got some conflicting PK3, but...)....

PS: Akom, I have not said you cannot do fixes at all... just to do those minor fixes that do not risk to mess up the map, if you wish. About your OACMP maps structure, I like them also like they are now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:48:04 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1265 on: December 16, 2013, 11:53:24 AM »

Are you referring to textures like those in the first screenshot here? I think it's meant to be like a gothic space station.
Quake 3 had similarily themed (space gothic) maps: you can find attached two screenshots from Q3DM18 "Space Chamber" map.

About missing textures, a few posts above I asked more infos to Suicizer, because understanding what's the reason may be important (I can guess he has got some conflicting PK3, but...)....

PS: Akom, I have not said you cannot do fixes at all... just to do those minor fixes that do not risk to mess up the map, if you wish. About your OACMP maps structure, I like them also like they are now.

q3dm18 has way different textures than which are being used on that map of Akom74. You can't compare that. Nevertheless, the fact stays that the texturing isn't matching the architecture correctly...

I'll try to add screenshots soon.

Edit:
After deleting all custom maps out of the baseoa-folder and checking out oa_akomdm1, the teleport texture is missing @.@
Why are these maps depending on other .pk3-files?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:32:35 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1266 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »

Yep, it's late. Because (dammit, I'm going to repeat this again -.-) WE HAD A WHOLE GODDAMN YEAR TO WORK IN THIS PACK, OF WHICH AT LEAST 6 MONTHS WERE DEDICATED TO FEEDBACK RECEPTION.

Mappers, and most of you involved with the development of this pack or any official OA release: welcome to OA's world, where feedback always come after the releases or just a day before it.

You're right, at this point the maps from mine will be released at they are.

But in next releases i will try to build non-simmetrical maps. I remember A CTF map non simmetrical, i think to take ispiration from that map Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1267 on: December 16, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

But in next releases i will try to build non-simmetrical maps. I remember A CTF map non simmetrical, i think to take ispiration from that map Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Nearly all good ctf maps are not symmetrical (as in the bases itself, not from base to base).

Some more screenshots...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1268 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »

Wink

Nearly all good ctf maps are not symmetrical (as in the bases itself, not from base to base).

Some more screenshots...

Telling the true, the 90% of CTF maps are simmetrical, or not ?  Huh
By the way, i'll try to change mind in the next releases Tongue

About your screenshots, are you sure you use this map in a clear OA0.8.8 installation ?
No one have this issues, and i'm using OA0.8.8 downloaded from here:
http://openarena.ws/download.php?list.61

Don't know if i'm using a wrong version  Huh

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1269 on: December 16, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »

Wink

Some more screenshots...

Telling the true, the 90% of CTF maps are simmetrical, or not ?  Huh
By the way, i'll try to change mind in the next releases Tongue

About your screenshots, are you sure you use this map in a clear OA0.8.8 installation ?
No one have this issues, and i'm using OA0.8.8 downloaded from here:
http://openarena.ws/download.php?list.61

Don't know if i'm using a wrong version  Huh

Wink

They are symmetrical indeed. But as I said so, just from base to base (1 side red, 1 side blue for example). However, your bases itself are symmetrical as well which makes the map being mirrored 2 times instead of just once (so 4 symmetrical sides).

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1270 on: December 16, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »

Well, well, well...
To prove that there's nothing bad with Akom's maps, I've devmap'd each of his 6 contributions and condumped the results.

Mind the pack pak9-oaxvm, it's the latest OAX snapshot, and it doesn't include graphics.
EDIT: Also mind the DEFAULTED regarding sfx/2d and below, these regard the game, not the pack or any map.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:56:36 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1271 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

More...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1272 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »

Edit:
After deleting all custom maps out of the baseoa-folder and checking out oa_akomdm1, the teleport texture is missing @.@
Why are these maps depending on other .pk3-files?

This is the blanck OA Folder that i have (with only my mappack inside):

Don't know what to tell you  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Anyone can help ?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1273 on: December 17, 2013, 03:49:05 AM »

To sum up:
Post with Suicizer notes about Akom's maps:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49214#msg49214

His posts with attached screenshots about some of those notes:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49232#msg49232
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49240#msg49240

Suicizer, can I suggest to use jpg format instead of tga? (You can bind a key to "screenshotjpeg" command). That would allow to see thumbnails directly in the browser.

By the way, I have not yet understood... do you have both z_130930-oacmp_rc1v3.pk3 and oa_akompack.pk3, or only one of them?
Also, please disable (e.g. rename to .pk3.old) "single" oa_akom* pk3 files (e.g. those from maps for oacmp volume 2), if any. They are alpha tests which may contain some errors.

PS: Neon Knight, did you check if you can enable the option to allow users to change their own vote in the poll?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1274 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:03 AM »

To sum up:
Post with Suicizer notes about Akom's maps:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49214#msg49214

His posts with attached screenshots about some of those notes:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49232#msg49232
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.msg49240#msg49240

Suicizer, can I suggest to use jpg format instead of tga? (You can bind a key to "screenshotjpeg" command). That would allow to see thumbnails directly in the browser.

By the way, I have not yet understood... do you have both z_130930-oacmp_rc1v3.pk3 and oa_akompack.pk3, or only one of them?
Also, please disable (e.g. rename to .pk3.old) "single" oa_akom* pk3 files (e.g. those from maps for oacmp volume 2), if any. They are alpha tests which may contain some errors.

PS: Neon Knight, did you check if you can enable the option to allow users to change their own vote in the poll?

Ok, I'll try to use jpg-format next time.
I only use the oa_akompack.pk3 and those individual ctf maps. There shouldn't be any alpha versions involved (unless that pk3 contains alpha versions).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:25:17 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: