Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130647 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1325 on: December 21, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »

Last minute news!
All the maps have been compiled succesfully, except oajgdm2, which failed in the BSPC stage. I'm applying botplay optimization measures to it.

Also I'll optimize a bit oa_akomdm5 once I finish with it. At least three new mapobjects will spawn from it, three lights.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1326 on: December 21, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

oajgdm2:
- Evened up the weapons for CTF-based modes, also added a window between the upper connection between the red/blue bases (only available in CTF-based modes) in order to avoid easy captures. Balanced the map overall, keeping items for FFA but adding/changing for other games. I was also thinking on adding decals.

Anyway, the maps have been finally compiled, I'll show differences between versions in a moment.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1327 on: December 21, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »

While I fix errors on the other maps, I'll leave the people to decide which versions there should be in the pack. Left is the original sent by the mappers themselves, right is the "final compile" version.

mx3ctf8

oa_akomdm3

oa_akomdm5

udestruction

Who won? Who's next? You decide! Epic Rap Battles Of Historyyyyyyy!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1328 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:41 AM »

I don't understand why don't you tell us (mappers) to bright up the light.
By the way, no problem for me. Tell me if you ned something.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1329 on: December 22, 2013, 06:09:24 AM »

I was just doing experiments with q3map2.
Also, part of the GPLv2 audit includes being able to compile the map and get the same version with the same features.
Anyway, I'll release the RC2 with the original maps in a moment.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1330 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »

OK, this is really weird. NOW I CANNOT COMPILE A SINGLE CUBE TEST MAP WITHOUT q3map2 SAYING THAT IT'S LEAKED!
This is starting to piss me off...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1331 on: December 22, 2013, 07:19:20 AM »

OK, this is really weird. NOW I CANNOT COMPILE A SINGLE CUBE TEST MAP WITHOUT q3map2 SAYING THAT IT'S LEAKED!
This is starting to piss me off...

Really strange.... what editor are you using ?
Maybe the latest NETradiant work beter than GTKradiant, have you try it ?

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1332 on: December 22, 2013, 07:20:19 AM »

I've came back to NetRadiant, because I cannot configure GTKR 1.6.3 for OA work. It seems that everything is hardcoded in 1.6.3, which sucks.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1333 on: December 22, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »

Oh, DAMN ME -.- I've enlarged the room and it compiled. -.-

Sorry for the delays and worries. Packing.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1334 on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

It seems that the RC2 must be delayed. There's just a lot of errors to fix.
Gotta go.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1335 on: December 22, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »

It seems that the RC2 must be delayed. There's just a lot of errors to fix.
Gotta go.

Which errors Huh Huh

Compile errors, maps or shaders errors ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1336 on: December 22, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

Guys, you know I will be almost completely offline in these days. I managed to power up the PC today, but I'll have to turn it off in a few minutes.

For what I remember from whan I tried to compile my map with q3map2 (I'm not sure, but probably I tried compiling with NetRadiant 1.5, GTKRadiant 1.5 and with Q3map2build), things that "went wrong" were:
- Lighting, which turned out quite different than expected (and looking at Neon_Knight screenshot a few posts above, this happened also to him. Lower part of temple roof seems more illuminated now, but other parts of the arena now look darker, and some "dark lines" appear on the outer rocky wall...).
- Some textures were "scaled up" than what expected: I remember that some tiles (IIRC, at least those if the stairs inside the house, and those of one ramp of the cistern) were shown up "bigger" than what expected.
- When compiling from NetRadiant, IIRC, there was a strange thing about the illumination of the weapon in your hand which went suddenly dark instead of fading to dark, when inside the BFG building.

Some more infos in Udestruction v9bis and udestruction v10bis posts, when I did some "test" versions (I think still accessible, if you wish) compiled with q3map2. I can't check later posts right now.

And what worries me more now is the fact that (IIRC, after those tests) now the map has got some "cluster portal" optimization that is required to prevent "bot stutter" in that map, but was really a "trial and error" thing (just moving something may have caused the cluster portal do to not work anymore). I did hundreds of tests, to be capable of making the most complicated cluster with 555 areas. I don't know what will happen to that alchemy after using a different map compiling tool. Neon_Knight, could you please post BSPC output for cluster/areas infos of your version?

In general, giving a quick look to the screenshots posted by Neon_Knight a few posts ago, it looks like some maps may have got some degree of advantage, but some others not. Maybe also oa_akomdm5 maybe now looks "too black"?

Maybe he may prepare 2 different versions of the RC2 package, so we may test both of them and decide which version to keep for each map. However, this requires accurate checking, that I cannot do this week. If we want to use these "re-compiled" maps, please give some extra days for testing them (e.g. I can guess these changes may also affect bots behavior).

Note 1: Compiling my map aas file, don't forget the grapplereach option.
Note 2: In my map readme (and worldspawn notes, IIRC) I mentioned I compiled from a plain Q3Radiant configured for Q3A (well, all shaders used in my map -except playerclip and a few similar "service" shaders from "common" folder- are from gig01.shader, not from Q3 shaders.). I don't think GPL specifies that that all programs used have to be free of charge, right? Otherwise, how to GPL a Photoshop file? You can open a PSD file with Gimp, but many layer effects would not be shown correctly -at least, last time I tried-.
Akom, instead, managed to successfully reconfigure Q3Radiant to directly load baseoa stuff instead of baseq3 stuff, maybe he may add a step-to-step guide about how to reproduce. Probably, using Akom's sytem, should work also for my map (at that time I tried to do the same, but I had some problems -e.g. due to the shader files limit of q3radiant- and at the end I gave up, switching back to just use Q3).

I have to run now, see you in the next days!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:13:42 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1337 on: December 22, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »

January 15th. will be the final release.
December 30th. RC2.
In the meantime, I'll be lifting the content freeze. That way we may even receive new fixes.

From what I saw, though, I'm going to do that Optimization and troubleshooting guide for the manual before anything else. Akom, you might do well to look at that guide once it's written, because many of your maps fail at either the Light or BSPC stage because of this.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1338 on: December 22, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

oa_akomdm1 in the Light stage:
************ ERROR ************
MAX_TW_VERTS (12) exceeded

Because of this the map can't be lighted. Sad

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1339 on: December 22, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »

Akom, you might do well to look at that guide once it's written, because many of your maps fail at either the Light or BSPC stage because of this.

I'll read it when it's done. My editor compile in any case the maps, but if i can do better i'm good with it.

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1340 on: December 22, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »

Neon_Knight, seems like you will need different Radiant versions for each individual map, don't forget to include that in readme.
I've used latest GTKRadiant with oldest bspc I could find, because new one failed to compile .aas file in my environment.
As for your screenshots - udestruction lighting is screwed in your version, Akom's maps are okay, except for akomdm5, which is too dark, Moixie's map is okay.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1341 on: December 22, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »

Neon_Knight, seems like you will need different Radiant versions for each individual map, don't forget to include that in readme.
I've used latest GTKRadiant with oldest bspc I could find, because new one failed to compile .aas file in my environment.
As for your screenshots - udestruction lighting is screwed in your version, Akom's maps are okay, except for akomdm5, which is too dark, Moixie's map is okay.
This shouldn't be that way. The maps must be compilable under any version of q3map2/bspc, not just the older or the newer ones.

I'm using NetRadiant with GTKR 1.6.3's BSPC, tried to move onto GTKR 1.6.3 but the fact that game support seems to be hardcoded into the program (they've deleted the old "games" folder, I couldn't even get to create an OA gamepack) plus the whole "proj" thing which for me was pretty annoying made me go back to NetR.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1342 on: December 22, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »

This shouldn't be that way. The maps must be compilable under any version of q3map2/bspc, not just the older or the newer ones.

I'm using NetRadiant with GTKR 1.6.3's BSPC, tried to move onto GTKR 1.6.3 but the fact that game support seems to be hardcoded into the program (they've deleted the old "games" folder, I couldn't even get to create an OA gamepack) plus the whole "proj" thing which for me was pretty annoying made me go back to NetR.

Maybe this can help ?
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2722.msg47955#msg47955

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1343 on: December 23, 2013, 04:29:59 AM »

In a perfect world, the option "emulate old style -vis -extra" (I don't remember the exact line at the moment) in NetRadiant would have created an output equal to what one would have got using Q3Radiant (if shaders used have the same properties, of course!). But this is not a perfect world, and I fear compatibility between different editors/compilers does not reach 100%. Sad

About the link Akom posted, in the file linked at the end of that post there is the q3map2build that Neon Knight gave me, and that I just re-packaged adding missing dll and including different versions of q3map2 and bspc, if user wants to test different versions. In that post there is some hint that the NetRadiant package may also work with GtkRadiant 1.5 (not 1.6), but I can guess Neon_Knight already knows.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:50:40 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1344 on: December 23, 2013, 06:12:29 AM »

The editors may read or not all the .map files created by QuArK or any *Radiant editor. NetRadiant can read both formats well, though maps with an older format may have to be converted in order to be readable.

But the point here is not the editor, but the compilation of the map. Every map should be compilable by using any version of q3map(2) and bspc, especially condiering that not everyone will be able to compile on Windows. Perhaps different options may be set for each q3map(2) stage, but if a map can't be compilated with a version of q3map(2), then there's some work (such as optimizations) to be done in order to improve in this area.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:26:28 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1345 on: December 25, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »

Well, I did it! I've finally solved the problem in oa_akomdm1.

I had to turn A LOT of structural brushes into detail brushes. Many of them were creating tons of miniportals which got in the way of the compilation.

Once I've finished with it, Akom, it will be your homework to read carefully and thoughtfully the Optimization Guide. Especially the part about Hint brushes and Detail/structural brushes.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Optimization_and_troubleshooting
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Hint_brushes

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1346 on: December 25, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »

SUCCESS!!!
oa_akomdm1 passed through all the compiling stages, from BSP all the way up to BSPC, flawlessly. I'll do the final touches, and we'll call it a day!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:58:56 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #1347 on: December 25, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »

Congratulations
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1348 on: December 25, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »

Here are the first screenshots of the RC2 version of oa_akomdm1. I've got pretty carried away with the map. Not only I've improved the performance in many ways (clips, detail brushes, hint brushes, botclips, clusterportals...), but also tried to do so with the lighting, and a bit the gameplay.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1349 on: December 26, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »

Good job  Grin Grin

Wink

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: