Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC Channel | #openarenahelp  (Read 14593 times)
MegaAIM
I DERAIL BY PLUGGING MY CHANNEL AND COMPLAIN THAT ITS REMOVED
Nub

Cakes -8

Why shoot the corpse once, if theres 50 in my gun?

« on: December 15, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »

Awhile ago we discussed making a IRC channel for new players, and or players in need of assistance in anything OpenArena related...

Who is welcomed?

As we all know OpenArena can be a very complicated game at some points

We need people that are intrested in lending a hand to people. We all play OpenArena and notice how some players know less than others, or are very curious and no one will help them due to the fact that its taking time from the game. This is the place where we want to guide new players and keep them less curious. We need you guys to come and point new players towards #openarenahelp on QuakeNet.

doing this we will have more OpenArena servers, more active players, a more competitive community and maybe even have the developers more motivated to keep this game coming with new release more than every 4-5 years..

Remember everyone was curious at some point in there OpenArena career

The more players knowledgeable the better we all become !

Note: This is not a shot at the developers of OpenArena we all respect and love the out comes after they release.

We hope you all can make it and bring some new players to the channel to get the help they desire

NOBODY KNOWS EVERYTHING BUT WE ALL CAN CONTRIBUTE
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »

swaggerall, this is your third forum account after dummying your nba.richforever account?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

swaggerall, this is your third forum account after dummying your nba.richforever account?

Huh

_

Everyone feel free to join the channel to lend a helping hand !
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:53:07 AM »

Not sure how much this third IRC channel is useful, anyway I added it to the list here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#IRC

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »

Not sure how much this third IRC channel is useful, anyway I added it to the list here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#IRC

I think its quite useful in many ways Gig, especially if someone is in need of dire help. There should always be a help and or tutorial for players to receive guidance somewhere.

Evil

use to have a website but i dont know what happened with that --> http://openarenahelp.com
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »

I thought the game was simple enough and straightforward that help wouldn't even be required. The only "Help" one would need to learn the competitive gaming community structure, netiquitte, etc.

But considering the person who wants to help often have negative cakes on multiple accounts....... is this a case of the blind leading the blind?

MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »

I thought the game was simple enough and straightforward that help wouldn't even be required. The only "Help" one would need to learn the competitive gaming community structure, netiquitte, etc.

But considering the person who wants to help often have negative cakes on multiple accounts....... is this a case of the blind leading the blind?

Basic skills are not always caught on as quick by some as others. I think the game can be quite easy to get the hang of, but somethings can but a bit complicated. Me and my guys usually do well when we help out people that come to our servers and or IRC, theres many people that have gotten assisted by the guys in the channel and in servers.

The goal is to help not to make it tougher for beginners

Now as of the "cakes" you speak of...., im sure ive done nothing to receive -2 cakes. But my concerns are not with receiving "cakes" but is with the #openarenahelp that we are trying to get going.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:16:28 PM by MegaAIM » Logged
MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »

http://openarenahelp.com/

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:58 AM »

I've been there several times yet no proper result for as much as on this forum about the "no response of masterserver" issue.

About the cakes, I have no idea how that system works yet it seems like some ranking-system?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »

Please delete this post, accidently posted twice due a connection failure.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »

I've been there several times yet no proper result for as much as on this forum about the "no response of masterserver" issue.
Do you have a link to a thread about your problem?
With a quick search for "no response from master server", I found this one (resolved by its own), this one (post author did not reply at all, maybe self resolved?), this one (post author did not answer our questions about his firewall settings)...

About the cakes, I have no idea how that system works yet it seems like some ranking-system?
If you like a post from some else, you can click on "YES" below his name, to give him a cake, as a sort of "thank you" we may tell. Instead, if you really don't like a post from someone esle, you can click "NO", and remove a cake from him. You cannot perform such actions often, you have to wait several hours (few days probably) before being able to click YES or NO again (and you cannot do it twice on the same post, IIRC).
It is not a really important indicator...

@AIM: I've added links to that site in a couple of pages of the wiki. Good luck with your project. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:09:26 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »

If you like a post from some else, you can click on "YES" below his name, to give him a cake, as a sort of "thank you" we may tell. Instead, if you really don't like a post from someone esle, you can click "NO", and remove a cake from him. You cannot perform such actions often, you have to wait several hours (few days probably) before being able to click YES or NO again (and you cannot do it twice on the same post, IIRC).
It is not a really important indicator...
I have never seen those fields Sad

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »

Strange. I see a small line with "yes" and "no" just below the "cakes" line of any post, while you don't see that.
Maybe one needs to have at least a certain number of posts before being able to use that feature? I don't know. Maybe Fromhell may tell exactly.

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:01:17 AM »

Strange. I see a small line with "yes" and "no" just below the "cakes" line of any post, while you don't see that.
Maybe one needs to have at least a certain number of posts before being able to use that feature? I don't know. Maybe Fromhell may tell exactly.

never mind, found the answer: I need 115 posts to deal out cakes Smiley

You can now give or take cakes, but to qualify you must have at least 115 posts to do so and you have to wait 115 hours. This will keep the cake system from being cakebused.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

Speaking of cakes, MegaAIM kept increasing his cakes by logging into his old swaggerall account since he's known to have a bad reputation.

I have dealt with that account accordingly.  Before you claim how harsh I am for doing so, he hasn't posted on that account in nearly a year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:55:36 AM by fromhell » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

Do you have a link to a thread about your problem?

Yes here it is. Still freshly unsolved.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4647.0

I just noticed there are a lot more people around facing the very same problem which you haven't referred (or it looks like they do)...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:43:01 PM by Suicizer » Logged

MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »

Has anyone signed up at http://openarenahelp.com/ ?

If not here is the link to register.

This site/project isn't actually mine. I'm just a helper towards giving help to the players/people that need it.

The people who run this site are found in #openarenahelp on QuakeNet by the names of ALI3N & Zimmer106.

Try and get some people in #openarenahelp on QuakeNet & to the http://openarenahelp.com/

Surely we could use the help of Gig, who seems more thank likely to give a helping hand from anyone I can remember on this here forum.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:27:21 PM by MegaAIM » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: