Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The most popular screen aspect ratio of OA front page visitors is 16:10  (Read 29142 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »

By the way... for which reason should the interface focus on gamepad? This game is clearly adapt for mouse controls, why the interface should differ? I've played a little of Quake3 Revolution (PS2) and controls aren't comparable with the PC version.

Considering the original q3_ui menus could be completely driven by the keyboard, it's definitely a usability problem.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

Well, I have nothing against continuing using old q3_ui style interface, simply fixing some minor problems it has and adding some more features (e.g. in the server browser, showing the address of the server somewhere, and some fixes in Favorites management may be good) and descriptions to it.
That would keep the impact less "drastic" when an user will switch from baseoa to any Q3 mod.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »

Well, I have nothing against continuing using old q3_ui style interface
I do.  Not to mention there's very few commercial id tech3 games that still use q3_ui (Elite Force is the only other one)

However I ran into a new bug - I can't go back to the mainmenu (actually does go back but it doesn't close my current menu and c

I have a chain set up like this:

• Main
      (looping music and splash logo)
    • mainmenu
      • playmaker (tabbed create server screen)
      • options (tabbed controls/video/sound/other screen)
      • howtoplay
    • error_popup
[/list]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:17:30 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 06:19:26 AM »

Wish I could help Fromhell, but I'm not at the point to start messing around with the game engine yet.  I want to get the mapping and model work (Blender) behind me first, then I'll download the code and roll up my sleeves.  I've got 30+ years of programming experience and I'm just itching to get going.  Soon, soon... Wink

Hope you find the bug.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »

e.g. in the server browser, showing the address of the server somewhere [..]
INET6_ADDRSTRLEN is 46 chars, where'd you put that? Granted, you can write 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 as 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334, but that's still a lot.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

e.g. in the server browser, showing the address of the server somewhere [..]
INET6_ADDRSTRLEN is 46 chars, where'd you put that? Granted, you can write 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 as 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334, but that's still a lot.
A simple way could be to show a dedicated "status line-like" for the currently highlighted server.
Other, more complex ways could include implementing left/right scrolling tables, or popup windows when mouse-overing, or tables with selectable (or expandable) fields, or a "server details" button that would give more infos about the highlighted server (ip address plus serverinfos, maybe) -a single button for the highlighted one or a clickable icon next to each line of the servers table?- or maybe something else that I can't imagine right now...
I suppose the "status line" or the "server details" button could be affordable solutions. Anything would be surely better than nothing!  Cheesy

PS: Until current problems with IPv6 & Dpmaster will be solved, I suppose IPv6 will not be used a lot... However it's right to consider it... I hope OA3 will solve those problems.

EDIT: I thought about it again. I really think that both "address line" and "server info/server details" button would be possible and useful. I think both features could even co-exist.
The server info button could bring to a very simple screen writing the output of the server info command to the screen instead of to the console. Q3/OA already has something similar, accessible from the "ESC" menu after you joined the server: I suppose we could make that page accessible from the server browser... and obviously we should fix the current great limit of that page (IIRC, at the moment the number of lines shown is not enough to display all server infos, and unfortunately it is not possible to scroll the page. Giving scrolling command to that page would be good.).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:07:00 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: