Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamecube/Wii port  (Read 5661 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: April 13, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »

After looking in the Jedi Academy source I wonder what extent this could be done. There's already homebrew ports for Wii for the first Quake which assumes the accelerated bits of the console are already figured out.
Plus the engine already has bits of PPC code for optimization

Granted, textures would need great reduction (like down to 256 max) and sounds may need to be loaded as 4-bit ADPCM somehow just to fit in the memory. Jedi Outcast for the Gamecube compromised in texture detail and cutscenes (which were pre-rendered from PC instead) to save on memory usage for the levels.      Q3A for the Dreamcast compromised by less map geometry, 15/16-bit reduced textures, and 11khz 4bit sounds for everything that's not a weapon.

The Gamecube isn't a PowerVR PCX2, so I can expect it to handle lightmaps and detail textures OA can throw at it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:46:41 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »

Excuse me, I have a question: how many people out there can actually play homebrew software on such consoles?

I have never own any of the two... I thought that Gamecube used special disks that were not common DVDs (how to find and burn them?), and I don't know which media support Wii uses at all.

UPDATE: Found a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs

UPDATE2: Given a quick look to the wiki about Wii homebrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page), but it doesn't seem something for general users...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:52:52 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »

Wii homebrews' far more widespread yes, but I was just referring to the Gamecube as the baseline since it's pretty much the same technology, and I like its controller better Tongue

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:07:24 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: